Asking for a friend ...

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by mrs2a50, Jan 4, 2017.

1. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

So if someone wanted to print stickers out for her planner, and was tired of just cutting them out by hand, and wanted a machine to do all the work for her, what would she need to buy? (Seriously, my "friend" is that clueless when it comes to this stuff ... )

2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Lol, I missed this earlier. I would suggest your "friend" just get the Silhouette Portrait. It's smaller (so it fits on your desk/etc easier) and less expensive than the Cameo ... but my Portrait is just driving me so crazy right now. Cuts not aligning properly -I'm sure it is something little with my machine/settings/etc but I am just not finding the problem easily.

To just print and cut stickers you really just need the machine, the sticker paper, and whatever digital images you want for your planner. (and a printer loaded with ink of course - but that's a given). oh... and i do have the Silhouette Designer Edition software - I'm not 100% sure if that matters or not - as it is all I've ever used. Maybe someone more Silhouette savy can chime in on that.

I have no idea about any of the other cutting machines out there on the market.

Tell your "friend" good luck!

3. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

I have come to hate cutting machines. I have the Portrait as well, and it takes me WAY longer to set the stupid thing up and print and cut than to just get out my scissors. And is usually off by just enough to totally annoy me or cause me to have to re-cut anyway. Sorry. Tell your friend that I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think the old fashioned cutting is still best.

4. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

hmm your friend.

jk703 likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have a sizzix eClips and a Silhouette Cameo. Both work just fine. The eClips I have eCal software for that allows it to cut svg's. The Cameo I've been using the default software that you get in the box. I've cut planner stickers with both machines. The advantage of the Silhouette is the same as the advantage of Adobe when scrapping. Designers use it, and create for it. Like the black out sheet for easy tracing.

When I was considering the Portrait vs. the Cameo I decided to go to the Cameo because the price difference was minimal. I know my friend Cheryl has the Portrait and cuts planner stickers too. I haven't had as many frustrations as the Jen's above with the Cameo. I don't know if that's a Portrait thing?

6. _scrapaholic_

_scrapaholic_ Well-Known Member

I don't have any issues with my potrait (I do have cameo too, but I use the potrait all the time). Print & cut works perfect for me!

bestcee likes this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenevang and bestcee like this.
  8. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Old school, that's my motto too, Jen! I was a highly skilled fussy cutter back in the day!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  9. _scrapaholic_

_scrapaholic_ Well-Known Member

have you tried their customer support? They helped me pretty fast when I had this "user issue" ;)

bestcee and jenn mccabe like this.
  10. jenn mccabe

admittedly. not yet... just their blog. i hate sitting on the phone working through issues. i have a few things to try - just haven't had the heart to give it a go again yet & power her up. if the last few tricks i want to try don't work ... i will. promise.

_scrapaholic_ likes this.
  11. mrs2a50

Well, I don't know whether to love you for saving me money, or hate you for not having a raving review about a shiny new gadget I can use for a week and then allow it to collect dust ...

Tree City, jenevang and enjoyyourpix like this.
  12. mrs2a50

@jenevang And the comment about being off on the cut is spot on. My OCD would go into overdrive with that.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  13. mrs2a50

Okay ladies, thanks. I may stick with old school for a bit longer. @jenn mccabe - it was your frustration post about your cutter that got me thinking about this, and it did make me question whether it would be worth it for the little amount I would probably use it.

Err, my friend would use it ...

enjoyyourpix and jenn mccabe like this.
  14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Note... that "me" and "I" in there! :giggle

I had a Silhouette... when I thought I would do hybrid. I wanted to love it, and it was a relatively new machine/idea at the time. I didn't have the patience to get it to work properly, cut on the correct lines and promptly sold it to a fellow scrapper!

I do know that I loved the outcome when it would all work out! I think for me to get it, I would need someone to walk me through it and in person. Then I would be ok. I still have a love affair with paper and scrap goodies, non-digital.

enjoyyourpix and mrs2a50 like this.
  15. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Silhouette Cameo. They'll pry mine out of my cold, dead hands! :D I'm a hybrid scrapper, so it's essential for me.

bestcee and mrs2a50 like this.
  16. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I got a Cameo 3 for Christmas and am still trying to get it to work to cut stickers. When it works it's great, but so far, having some issues getting it to recognize the marks that show it where to cut properly.

17. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

@mrs2a50 - I love my Cameo. I actually don't have any problems with alignment but I find that my friends who have Portraits do have those issues. It makes me wonder if the Portraits are buggy in that regard overall. Don't be afraid, take the plunge and get the Cameo!! I think you will have fun with it!

bestcee, mrs2a50 and enjoyyourpix like this.
  18. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

print and cut is frustrating too (I have the Portrait). I do like it for cutting out words from card stock and vinyl. That's pretty fun.

Tree City likes this.
  19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have a Portrait and love that thing! I use it for print and cut all the time and I have no issues with alignment at all. I think as long as your "friends" name isn't Jenn or Jen.... you should be fine. Lol! :giggle @jenn mccabe @jenevang

jenevang, jenn mccabe and bestcee like this.
  20. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

@jenn mccabe @jennevang

I have problems with alignment on my Cameo when my mat is old. The rollers don't pull it in correctly. Also sticker paper dulls the blades super fast! Try new blade and new mat, and see if that helps with the alignment if it is just a little off.