Monthly Muse January 2017 **sample of what is to come**

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by mimisgirl, Jan 2, 2017.

1. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

[​IMG]
    Welcome to the January 2017 Monthly Muse!

Muse:
    verb: to reflect deeply on something
    noun: the source of artistic inspiration

As we explained in the Monthly Muse Introduction thread HERE, we will be having Monthly Inspirational Challenges here in the Art Journal Pad, brought to you by a different Polly each month. This month, since we are doing MOC5, will be just a short introduction to the idea and format of The Monthly Muse. You are welcome to play along, or not, as you see fit. And might I say, if you have not checked out the MOC 5 forum yet - you really should. The first few challenges have been posted and so far they all are easily completed in Art Journal Style!

To start with, let me explain how this is going to work.
    Today I will introduce our muse for the month. Over the course of the month I will come back and pull out new inspirations from our muse and leave them here for you to ponder. You can take those ideas and run in any direction you feel called. If a particular idea is not speaking to you, no worries, keep on searching. If an idea has you making a whole book of pages, YAY! Each of us will react differently to different muses, and that is OK. Try not to compare yourselves to each other, or become frustrated if a particular idea is just not working for you. The key here is to find inspiration, and branch out trying new things, but you are never required to do more than you want, and please, PLEASE, do not let this stress you out in anyway. We want you to have fun!

So, introducing our first Monthly Muse!
    This month, being the beginning of a new year, I was really drawn to this simple, yet colorful and thought provoking page. I thought it would be a good, simple place for us to start in inspiring our souls to create more art! I know this image is small, but you can find the original HERE along with a walk through from the artist.
    [​IMG]

I will be honest, I am not that good with resolutions, and this time of year everyone is talking about resolutions-meh. But I love how this particular page looks at our own learned truths. It seems like a more arty and self loving route to the whole resolution idea. I can dig that!

So this is month our inspirations are. . .
    WEEK 1: ADVICE TO SELF - or - Word strips/Word art
    Let this page inspire you to create your own page of ADVICE you would give yourself (or your own learned truths you want to share with others). OR, if you would prefer, you could create a page using Word Strips or Word Art instead. (You are also welcome to create a page using both at the same time, or two different pages, or more . . . it is totally up to you and whatever you feel inspired to create)
    WEEK 2: Doodles and/or Swirls
    I love the way the strategic use of Doodles and Swirls on this page helps to move the eyes around the page. It also breaks up the word blocks and creates some diversity on the page. This week let doodles and swirls inspire you to make a fun page.
    WEEK 3: Face/Eyes
    This week I want to encourage you to use a face or at least some eyes prominently on your page. It does not have to be the main image - but it can be. In our example above she used just a part of the face. In many of the pages you all have already made you chose to use a Doll. Or if you are really brave you can use your own face. Faces can add emotion and intent to our page, so lets see where a face takes us this week.
    WEEK 4
    This week I want you to be inspired by COLOR!! This particular page uses warm colors in yellow and orange with some blue and black for contrast. You are welcome to take your color inspiration in any direction you want. What kind of color combination inspires you?
    Don't know much about color theory - no worries - you can find some sample color relations HERE, and HERE or if you want a more in depth look go HERE. Still not sure what to do - feel free to be inspired by the warm colors the artist used above - stick to reds, yellows and oranges to create a page this week.
    I can't wait to see what you all create!!

So have some fun and be inspired! Make sure you post your pages in the Art Journaling gallery and link us up in here so we can leave you some love. You have all month to post pages, so take your time and don't worry!

Oh, and please remember to follow the
    GALLERY RULES: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.​

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    scrapsandsass and Ga_L like this.
  2. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

yeah ! love the example and bonus there is a tutorial on the blog. thanks Erin @mimisgirl

mimisgirl likes this.
  3. mimisgirl

Double YAY! Lol, I really like this lady, she is simple and down to earth, which is nice sometimes.

4. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Here is mine!

[​IMG]

scrapsandsass, Lindzee and Ga_L like this.
  5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Wow, awesome inspirational pieces. I will me thinking about this and add my layout when I feel done with it.

Dalis likes this.
  6. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Don't rush it, have fun with it! I had a blast!

mimisgirl likes this.
  7. mimisgirl

@Dalis That is AWESOME! I love that you even put your head in there! So cool! I am almost finished with mine.

Dalis likes this.
  8. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

LOVE the example! Hopefully I'll manage to make a page with MOC going on. Otherwise I'll just postpone it to Feb.

mimisgirl and Dalis like this.
  9. kirstiegai

kirstiegai Trick or Treat, RUB by feet!

fun fun fun

mimisgirl likes this.
  10. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

11. mimisgirl

That is perfectly fine. This month is just a "how do you do" greeting.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  12. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I agree with Rikki. My priority this month is MOC, so far, so good. It is fun to see the amount of postings out there. It is just crazy!

mimisgirl likes this.
  13. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

14. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

15. mimisgirl

I know right! People are really trucking!! no worries, this is just for fun to get everyone acquainted, so you go do your magic girl!

mcurtt likes this.
  16. mimisgirl

Ohh Girls! @Lindzee and @sbpoet you girls rocked this! LOVE what you did!

17. mimisgirl

Here is mine, I meant to go a bit easier, but I got into it and then it all went crazy, so it took me a while. I took a bit of a different route - I decided to write to myself as a younger person - and made it into prose instead of a list, but I still like it.
    [​IMG]

JenniferJ and mcurtt like this.
  18. mimisgirl

OMG @Jeanet I totally missed yours, It is GORGEOUS! The girl is one of yours isn't it!? I always LOVE your girls!

Jeanet likes this.
  19. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

Here is an ATC I created for this month's "Monthly Muse" challenge.

[​IMG]

Li Li Wee and mimisgirl like this.
  20. kirstiegai

kirstiegai Trick or Treat, RUB by feet!