#New52 -- Facebook Group

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LeeAndra, Dec 27, 2016.

1. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

So a few years ago I attempted the #New52 project where you do one new thing every week for a year. Our very own @Peppermint was the one I found out abt it from, actually.

I'm attempting it again in 2017 & I've created a Facebook group that anyone can join who might want to take on this challenge, too. :)

You can join here:
    New52 FB Group

I'll probably document it scrappily in some way but I'm not sure how just yet. :)

LoveItScrapIt and Ga_L like this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

i'm not a big chatter on fb...but this intrigues me

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  3. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Is there prompts on the "new things" or is that up to each one of us?

MrsGaramer and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  4. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Intriguing idea. Definitely will consider it. Thanks for passing on the information.

5. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

I'm curious...

6. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

There aren't any prompts at the moment although maybe we can do something like that if there is enough interest.

It's really whatever you choose to do that is new to you. I tend to do 3-5 'big' (labor-intensive or time-intensive or both) things for the year and then a lot of 'medium' and 'small' things to balance out.

7. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

The first 4-5 weeks is covered by MOC -- if there isn't anything new to learn in the challenges you can add that.

8. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

9. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

So excited for you @LeeAndra! When a friend and I did this together, it was prompted by an article we read about how embracing new things keeps you young and makes you happier and healthier - and we had both arrived at a place in life where we weren't really pushing ourselves. We were very content in our comfort zones.

It was a great annual challenge for us! We both did 52 new things, big and small. Things that we had a knee-jerk "no" reaction to. It was a catalyst for lasting change for both of us, really. Towards the end of the year it became difficult to pinpoint our one thing each week to blog about it, because we'd become so used to saying "yes" to so many new things as a part of our daily lives. It was really freeing, I still carry this experience forward with me each year.

ETA: we didn't use prompts, but our one new thing varied week to week for each of us - sometimes it was trying a new restaurant in town, reading a book that seemed too daunting, making plans to meet up with a new person, replacing something worn in our lives, etc. Some people doing the challenge with us chose a theme for their entire year - like making one new recipe per week, or trying a new crafting technique per week, etc. We were all over the board with ours, though. I remember one of mine was replacing our old, cheap cookie sheets with new high-quality ones from Sur La Table. I just used them to make cut out cookies with my sister over Christmas this year and told her how I'm happy that I stopped telling myself I had to settle for those yucky ones just because they were still technically "fine". All these years later it still brings me joy to pull out the new, beautiful cookie sheets. It's the little things! I overcame a very deep seated irrational frugality on that one purchase - just a thing my parents have always done that I didn't realize I also did. Settling for inferior tools that keep me from enjoying something fully.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Tree City and klee73010 like this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Thanks @Peppermint, Now I have to go check out these cookie sheets. I really hate mine, but they are technically still good.

11. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

Sounds interesting.

12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This sounds so cool!! I need a little push to try some new things!!