Word for 2017

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by klee73010, Dec 24, 2016.

1. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Do you have one?? I don't really know about the history of "one little word" but I think it was a project started by Ali Edwards. I've not taken any of her classes or read up on the story, but I've gathered the gist of it is to have a single word to focus on for the year, or maybe to help formulate plans or goals for the year. In any case... I've decided I'll be starting my year off with the word "intention".

I spend far too much time "browsing".... stores, internet, facebook, etc. I buy things aimlessly because they are pretty, with no real need of them. I lose hours to reading facebook group posts and scrolling through. Then, I complain I don't have time for things I want to do, or procrastinate on things I need to do, or spend money I could have saved for something bigger and better.

So.... my word is "intention". I want to go on facebook with the intention to read a specific thing, or participate in a specific group, and focus on that one task... not to say I can't spend time there, but not the mindless scrolling I do. Time limits. Focusing on the task I want to accomplish.
    I want to walk in to a store with the intention of buying one or two specific things I need, and not just buy things because they're pretty or on sale. Not to say I can't, on occasion, but being better about it.

This is going along with my personal goals for the year of better finances, scrapbooking goals (because I should have more time to do them!), and overall better balance. Focusing in the things I really want, and doing things with intention.

So... has any word jumped out at you for the year? Any words of encouragement for my own word? I know changing habits is hard work!

Juliestcyr, jesskab and enjoyyourpix like this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Kristina. speaking of FB the other day (Wed I think) was one of those games, word for 2017 that my cousin did.. hers was happiness so I tried it and mine came up as "New Beginnings" which is perfect!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Christa, the word that's going to be the highlight of your 2017 is NEW BEGINNINGS!

This word will not only accompany you through out the next year but it'll influence you in the most positive way. 2017 will be an adventurous year for you. You will go out of your comfort zone and embark upon new journeys and experiences. It will turn the year 2017 into a milestone for you.

Share your word of the year 2017 with everyone and inspire the world with your thoughts!

[​IMG]
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    I am going to go with it, and start decluttering and downsizing this year. I have to get rid of stuff. Plus while doing so I intend to get rid of a few pounds hopefully as it is not coming off.. the worst ... before quitting smoking I had no issues losing weight, now I have gained and cant get it off, but I am determined to push it this year and I am giving it 6 months. That is my new beginnings!

klee73010 likes this.
  3. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I always choose a word, and then never really follow through with it. So there's a decent chance this has been my words before. But I think I'm going to go with "Balance" - maintaining a balance between work, home, online time, etc.

klee73010 likes this.
  4. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I have chosen a word for the last years (2015 - Declutter and 2016 - Focus). I was very successful in 2015 with decluttering and have actually stuck to it. 2016 Focus I started out strong and then puttered out about mid May. I think I am going to keep Focus as my word for 2017 so that hopefully I can get my life back on the focus I want to go on. Specific to become healthier by loosing weight and hopefully that will help with my emotional status. I don't feel comfortable in my own skin and I know it is because I am not happy with my weight.

2017 FOCUS here I come.

klee73010 likes this.
  5. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

not yet but by the time moc rolls around i hope i will!

enjoyyourpix and klee73010 like this.
  6. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Debating between content, positive & happy cause through most of 2016 while outwardly I was being positive & happy etc I wasn't truly happy with how things were going both personally and professionally - I was doing things I thought were 'right' but I wasn't happy

klee73010 and carilyne like this.
  7. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

My 2017 word is "CHOICES". I make choices everyday, but they are not all wise ones ...!! Not only do MY choices affect myself, they affect those around ...

Thanks for the great forum thread / prompt @klee73010

jesskab and klee73010 like this.
  8. klee73010

I'm glad to hear others have put some thought into it, as well. :)

9. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Mine is Emerge and it leads into my goals. you may see a layout or two that relates back to it.

enjoyyourpix and klee73010 like this.
  10. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I love thinking about "one words". I love all of these!!

This is EXCELLENT!! I need this too!!

Always good!! I love the potential of a redo in the new year. I definitely need to downsize my stuff (and me) this year!!

It's so hard!!!

YES!!! Focus-Focus-Focus!!!

Ooh... this is a great one too!!

klee73010 likes this.
  11. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

@klee73010 - thanks for reminding us!. I think my word for this year is going to be CALM. As in Stay calm, carry on.
    With so much happening with my health, coming to retirement, needing to downsize, first grandchild... I just need to stay calm.

klee73010 likes this.
  12. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

I´ve been on and off with OLW since like 2013 I think but last year I totally failed following through. Right now I don´t have a clue on what to choose for next year - it haven´t appeared yet. Thinking of finding that quiz on FB that you metioned @cfile !

klee73010 likes this.
  13. scrappydonna

scrappydonna Blah blah blah

@cfile I tried the FB quiz you used for your One word. It keeps showing me HUMANITY and I don't know why lol!
    Anyways, I've been thinking about my One word for 2017 and like @Lindzee, mine would be CALM.

cfile and klee73010 like this.
  14. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

So I did the test and I got the same as you @cfile !
    Then I found another one and it said "Ambitious" - so why not go for that?[​IMG]

bestcee, cfile and klee73010 like this.
  15. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

My word for 2017 is "Simplify". I'm really looking forward to really working with this word throughout the year. I even signed up for Ali's class this year.

I sat down the other day and came up with an acronym for what I want to get out of my word this year...

Simple
    Intentional
    Meaningful
    Purposeful
    Lifegiving
    Impactful
    Focused
    Year

We're moving to another state when my husband returns from Korea in July and I really want to simplify so much of our life in preparation for that move.

Joan K and klee73010 like this.
  16. klee73010

Nice @dailydwelling ! I wonder if I can find other words for letters in my word. I really like your list!

dailydwelling likes this.
  17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've been thinking about this a lot this month, on what I want to do in the new year, what my focus will be on. My word for 2017 is going to be "mindful" as in being mindful of my eating habits and exercise. I also want to be mindful of my actions and how they affect those around me. I don't always have great success with my "one little word" goal but it definitely gives me a push, reminds me of my goal and therefore I feel it does help.

Joan K likes this.
  18. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I love the idea of the acronym so I went a little deeper with my word:

FOCUS:

Focalize – to align your sight to a focal point (The Vision)
    Objective – the goal of your actions (The Mission)
    Concentrate – intensify your efforts to fulfill the mission
    Unambiguous – no uncertainty or doubt as to the desired outcome (The Mission)
    Strategy – The plan to accomplish the mission

Now I need to set down with my planner and come up with my goals.

elk2009 and klee73010 like this.
  19. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I took cfile's quiz and got Health -- they are downright meddling there, but it part of my word I chose

Here is the one Carina took:
    81.jpg
    I hope it's not supposed to be an acronym because it misses.

Smart would be nice too. But I think I'll stick with Emerge

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    kimingvtx and cinna like this.
  20. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

My OLW for 2017 is actuate.

I always pick a verb over a noun, and then I have a piece of jewelry made on Etsy with the word on it so I can wear it almost daily as a reminder. I also create a Facebook cover photo with my word on it so I see it multiple times a day as a reminder, too.

jenn mccabe, elk2009, MrsPeel and 2 others like this.