Talk me into Gilmore Girls...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by klee73010, Nov 29, 2016.

1. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I'm on episode 5 of season 1. I remember liking it when I was younger, and it was on TV, but I cannot remember anything going on. lol!

2. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

just read wikipedia. lol.

I've been binge watching. I'm in season 5 now. I'm really not liking one of the characters this season. I'm over 1/2 way so I shall power on.

klee73010 likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Why do you want to be talked into it? There's so much tv out there... if you aren't enjoying it, you could watch something else!

That aside, I really enjoy it. It was one of the few shows I actually made sure to be home for when it was on tv. At that time I related more to Rory than Lorelei. Now I find myself closer to Lorelei than Rory. The first season is a little slower, but really it's not an adventure show. It never has been. I love it for that. It's one of the non murder a week shows I watch.

enjoyyourpix and klee73010 like this.
  4. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

Haha! @klee73010 I was just thinking the same thing earlier! With the revival on Netflix and Gilmore Girls being in the news so much, I'm wondering if I need to watch it now. I've actually never seen even a single episode before.

I just canceled our Netflix last month (talk about cutting the cord for realz- we never watched it any more, anyway), and I'm wondering if I need to reactivate it!

klee73010 likes this.
  5. bestcee

@scrappyjedi It's a fast talking relationship show at it's core. There are a fair amount of pop culture references that make me giggle. There are movie and book references galore. The first season is slower, but it picks up. The town is quirky. There's teen angst, and motherhood challenges. It's really about life, although often an overblown version of life.

enjoyyourpix and klee73010 like this.
  6. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

@bestcee I just am not sure I can handle their intense relationship the whole show. lol! or if the year in the life thing was worth it, or... idk. I have already rolled my eyes at Lorelei's tantrums, and at Emily, more times than I can count . :giggle but now I'm also terrified to be a Mom of a teenager in what will seem like just a few years, even though it'll be at 7 or 8. hahahah.

7. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

I enjoyed the regular seasons. Was not wowed by the revival. Rory's character and her choices did not seem Rory like at all. Anyhow, it is a favorite of mine. Love the fast paced dialog and the pop culture references.

MrsPeel and bestcee like this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I binge watched the whole series about two years ago while I was crocheting. I don't think I would have spent the time on the whole show if I didn't have something else to do at the same time, but I did enjoy their quirkiness. Sooki (sp?) was my favorite. I haven't watched the revival episodes yet. I actually didn't even realize they were already out there. I might have to do that this weekend as I'm thinking about making a crochet blanket for my son for Christmas... that I haven't even started. sigh. :giggle

9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I never watched the show before I started watching Supernatural in 2015. Then I watched a few episodes just to see Jared Padalecki. I wasn't interested enough in watching the entire series. And I feel similarly about the revival. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I would like to see the episode with Jared.

10. bestcee

Spoiler alert! But if you aren't vested, it's not a big one. Highlight below to read it.
    Jared makes a 5 minute or so appearance. Probably not worth your time.

michelepixels likes this.
  11. bestcee

@klee73010 I would give it up if I was you then. As a fan, I didn't really enjoy the revival. It felt self serving. What would have worked 10 character years ago, did not work for me now. There were too many moments that felt like they were for the fans or for the writer/creator that were blah.

12. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I watched the first part of the year with Jessica the other night. We got a kick out of it because in so many ways, our life/relationship was so much like Lorelei and Rory. We sort of grew up together. And had a lot of witty and quick banter back when I was funnier. :giggle I stopped watching after the first couple of seasons, but Jessica always loved it. While we were watching the other night, we looked at each other and totally cracked up because there was a scene with Emily that was soooooo us. Emily is talking to Rory as if Lorelei wasn't even in the room. My grandma does that with us all of the time. She'll ask me something about Jessica while Jessica is sitting right there. :giggle Not because she's mad at Jessica, but she just does it. It is so frustrating and weird, but the show captured it perfectly.

bestcee, klee73010 and enjoyyourpix like this.
  13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I loved it and never missed an episode. I have all the shows and am thinking that in the new year I will re-watch the whole series again, as I scrap, when I'm on my office computer so I can put it on my little laptop that sits beside my PC. I'm not going to wait long to watch the Year In The Life mini series. I'll see it over the Xmas holidays.

I've heard mixed reviews about the new one but for me....hey...it's the Gilmore Girls...I have to watch :)

bestcee and klee73010 like this.
  14. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

DH and I loved the show when it came out but didn't watch the final season (which, as I'm sure 99% of the US citizens have already heard, was written/directed without the show's creators so it was lacking the Gilmore Girls "heart"). Anyway, part of me isn't sure if I should watch the final season and then watch the Netflix series, or if I should just skip final season and watch the new series, or if I should just not try at all. I do NOT like a few of Rory's paramours, and I worry that this new series (or season, or whatever you want to call the Netflix thing) is going to focus too much on Rory's (and Lorelei's) love life. I could go on, but I just want the show to be about the two women, not about "oh gee, I hope Dean calls me tonight!" type stuff. Just sayin'.

15. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Nope, I definitely can't talk you into it because I have a deep dark GG secret.

I can't stand it.

I know, I know, string me up by my toenails and make me listen to Nickelback but I cannot. get. into. it. at. all.

klee73010 likes this.
  16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Thanks Courtney! I had heard he was only in one episode but not for how long. Yeah, this will be one of those "maybe someday I'll get around to it" sort of things. Oh! I heard there are a couple of inside jokes in the show (maybe just that one episode) for SPN fans too, so there's another few seconds of fun. :giggle

17. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I never understood the draw of this show. Lots of unnecessary drama, whining, etc. I believe I watched 1/2 an episode one and never went back. I'll take Sherlock over Gilmore Girls any day!

klee73010 likes this.
  18. bestcee

Yep. And that's why I watched it.

:giggle

Nope. I can't get into Dr. Who. Or Downton Abby. Or any of the housewives. It's ok to not like every show out there!

klee73010 likes this.
  19. Lena Gardner

Lena Gardner Designer

It's like visiting an old friend. <3 The first time I encountered it I was offput by the fast talking. But I gave it a second chance, and fell for it. It takes me a long time to get into shows and I was about 9 episodes into the first season when I was hooked.

klee73010, bcgal00 and bestcee like this.
  20. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Hmm - I have seen parts of two episodes that my daughter was watching. Not sure I care for it much, but then again I really don't like most TV programs. I would rather do something else, like chat with you...

klee73010 likes this.