Water Bottle Flipping?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Oct 22, 2016.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

So, Anne's thread about irritating noises got me thinking about this one. My 11 year old is obsessed with water bottle flipping, as are most of the kids I'm surrounded by at school daily. Last night, my 25 year old came over and immediately started water bottle flipping with the 11 year old. If you don't know what this is, it evidently started with this video

And even Dude Perfect got in on it. YouTube is filled with water bottle flipping videos! I eat lunch in the cafeteria of the high school where I work, and this year they decided to keep all the students in the cafeteria instead of letting them go to the gym. At just about every single table, there is water bottle flipping going on! At football practice every evening, the kids are doing it on the sidelines! The sound is about to drive me insane :hairpol thwack, thud, thwack, thud, thwack, thud....

So, DS has been banished to either outside or the other end of the house to practice his skill. According to him, he is a legend at school and must practice...constantly. I read an article this morning in defense of the flipping and it was pretty interesting, but it doesn't make the sound any less irritating!! :furious

Anyone else had this new craze hit their household??

Chippi likes this.
  2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

YES! I am right there with you!

I just had 8 girls here for a sleepover and they were doing it in the foyer -its two story and open to everything, so the sound really echoes. Now mind you, we have a finished basement and that is where they all were sleeping and hanging out for the most part ... but they didn't start doing this until they came up to eat dinner. I let it go for about an hour and then had to send them back down to the basement along with that insane flipping noise. It's so much worse when there's a lot of them doing it at the same time .... and the echo, echo, echo

3. IntenseMagic

Yikes!! I don't want to hear it echo!!! That sound is enough to make me want to dig a basement to send my son to!!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Seriously.

One night my husband and I were sitting here in the family room watching tv and hear this horrible racket coming from the front of the house. It honestly sounded like people were pelting the front of our house with stuff. Figured out it was coming from upstairs, ran up there to look and found Clara flipping water bottles in her room. She has hardwood floors in her room and no rug... well, now she has a rug. That was definitely motivation to pick one out and get it ordered.

@IntenseMagic I feel for you! I would be haunted by that noise!
    @jenn mccabe I can't even imagine the sound that 8 girls flipping water bottles would make!

jenn mccabe and IntenseMagic like this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I think the kids have tried it but they are not obsessed with it. Remember the cup flipping? That was more annoying I think.

Now the dog loves a good empty water bottle, so we are more likely to hear the crunchy, plastic sound at our house.

6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh no!! my whole family is sleeping in this morning, and I want to go give the water flipping a try!
    must.
    resist.

AllisonPennington, jk703 and bellbird like this.
  7. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I have never heard of this, but water bottles are very frowned upon in the Bay Area. Seriously, people will give you the evil eye. Everyone has those aluminum bottles which also make an annoying noise as at least two are dropped or knocked over during each class.

bellbird likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

My dog seems to find all the ones that DS leaves behind after his practice. Yet another annoyance, water bottles everywhere lol

Hahaha I have tried it and sometimes I do it with him, but his prime flipping times seem to be when I am trying to concentrate on something. It is kind of challenging :) You have to have just the right amount of water in the bottle for it to work well. And if you can land a cap, you are beyond legend!

I can't even imagine the sound it would make if kids started flipping aluminum bottles :giggle

jesskab likes this.
  9. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Isn't this, like, over already? I thought this was a thing 6 months ago... Or am I too far ahead? lol

10. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

My youngest has been doing this for a while and it is still as annoying as when he first started! He's banned to doing it just outside since he had a bottle cap break and water everywhere!

11. IntenseMagic

Yes to the rug!! We have wood floors in most of the house, so DS is only allowed to flip in carpeted areas away from me or outside!! lol

I wish!! My son discovered it about 2 months ago, I guess.

I keep waiting for the break to happen. That's why I send mine outside the majority of the time.

12. corsicar

corsicar Dinner tonight? Something chocolate I'm sure!

I thought this was an old thing also, like a few years old. I remember trying it when I worked with the church youth group because the kids were into it. But I recently saw kids doing it. Had no idea it was a thing again!

13. y_baros

y_baros missing sock mystery has been solved

all.

the.

time.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

driving me crazy!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Once again, grateful to be past the child rearing years! @berniek You are just cutting edge, girl!

IntenseMagic and bellbird like this.
  16. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

It is a very big rock I live under apparently - I've never heard about this! Of course, we have no teenagers in the house ... maybe that's why.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

I had never heard of this! How fun!! This is something my kids and grandkids would LOVE to do! It would be a fun family reunion activity. Could make a contest out of it. With prizes. :)

corsicar and y_baros like this.
  18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My husband decided to show the 6 year old this in my house!

It was close to this :boxat my house. And now, it's more like this: :banghead . Luckily, I can send him outside to the patio table. And shut the door!

bellbird likes this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I only saw a clip of this like 2 nites ago cos DH was amazed - he teaches at Uni, not sure if the 'kids' do it there but that was the first I'd heard of it - we have mostly aluminium bottles too though. I'm glad I can't imagine the noise this practice would create!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  20. IntenseMagic

There are some really cool trick shot videos out there! It definitely does have some good qualities! The article in defense of it has some great points. It's just that constant sound at my house hahaha

That is exactly what I do, rain or shine! :)