Name Something Your Mother or Grandmother... | Pad Patter 10.14.16

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Oct 14, 2016.

1. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

My grandmother on my dad's side would make the most amazing poppy-seed rolls for Christmas and Easter. Yum! Unfortunately, she didn't use a recipe so all we have now are memories...

keepscrappin likes this.
  2. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

My mom can't cook. LOL. Until I was 21, I didn't eat and thought I hated chicken because my mom cooked it so badly. :giggle

My grandma used to make really good homemade spaghetti sauce that she learned to make from my grandpa's Italian mom. She also made really good beef burgundy.

Hands down my favorite thing was always her wild blackberry pie (the little tart berries). We used to have it every Christmas. My grandpa would go and pick the berries from his secret location, which stinks because we never knew where he got them. Now we just daydream about it. I once considered buying some berries that were $36 (online) just so I could make a pie... but I didn't.

jenn mccabe, bellbird and jesskab like this.
  3. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I laughed too hard at this. I love blackberries!

@keepscrappin Kayla, this is an awesome thread!

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

My mom isn't the greatest cook in the world: she cooks because she has to, just like me. And I can't really remember my grandmothers cooking since they both passed away when I was little.

One thing I didn't really like but I really do nowadays, is my mothers split pea soup. We have a tradition of eating it on this local holiday and I am quit looking forward to it this year.

Also, at new years, my mom makes apple fritters. They are the best.

[​IMG]

A very old and local tradition is baking 'kniepertjes' and 'new years rolls' which is the same thing: thing round cookie waffles, but the first ones are flat, are eaten in December and represent the present year (as the old year has fully unfolded) and the second ones are rolled and represent the new year. Both my grandmas and my mom made/make them. The rolls you can fill with whipped cream (and the flat ones can be totally topped with it as well!).

[​IMG]

5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

they sound like amazing tacos and now i want and it's like 8 in the morning here!

jesskab likes this.
  6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Ok and now i want apple fritters - uggh

My grandmother's cooking taught me you can make pasta sauce that looks the same colour and the same in every way but it won't taste as rich or authentic, not for lack of trying - thats what i miss most

and now i have to go make do with cereal - from a box...

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

unless u are hungry

keepscrappin and jesskab like this.
  8. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I may have just downed an entire bag of peanut butter M&Ms. I admit nothing. :shemademe

9. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

My mom makes the best sour cream pound cake...with a buttery, crunchy top crust...yum!!!

keepscrappin, bellbird and jesskab like this.
  10. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

keepscrappin and jesskab like this.
  11. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

mmm. I'm hungry!! I miss Grandpa's spaghetti sauce. Grandma wasn't that good with the cooking. She worked full time and had 6 rowdy kids. I don't think the kitchen brought her joy. Grandpa was good, especially after he retired. He legitimately enjoyed making family dinners and it showed. Grandma was a star at mass production. If it was holiday cookies or banana bread, she made enough for everyone she knew :)

keepscrappin, y_baros and bellbird like this.
  12. y_baros

y_baros missing sock mystery has been solved

I just walked in from work. Dh isn't hungry, the boys are with grandma, so I'm having me a heaping bowl of frosted flakes.

because I'm 5.

go us!!

keepscrappin and bellbird like this.
  13. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

My grandma made the best from scratch black forest cakes for our birthdays...I've tried to replicate it, but it's just not the same.
    My mama (mom's mom) made this awesome chinese noodle soup, that I make when I'm looking for some comfort food.
    And my mom, just makes the best food ever...I don't think there's anything that she makes that I don't like...I hope that I can cook like her when I grow up!!

keepscrappin and bellbird like this.
  14. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I grew up a military brat, so didn't really know my grandparents, and well, it is a big joke about my mom's cooking..it is pretty bad...lol,
    but now, my dad.............swoon
    He makes this breakfast hash...fried potatoes, sausage, bacon, and onions and anything left over, puts the best two fried eggs on top, and serves it to me with sourdough toast with real butter on it..and my arteries harden smelling it, but I love it!
    and woot to you on your first Pad Patter, you made me drool! ♥

keepscrappin and Cath_ like this.
  15. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

My mom is a good cook & made most of our family dinners. I don't have memories of a specific dish so much as I have good memories of us all around the table eating together.

Her cooking has changed in recent years to accommodate my father's medical conditions so it's not the same as it was and I am very grateful for my memories. :love

16. aballen

aballen Don't make me break out the milk

For me is panquequis (crepes), my abuelita(grandma) will always make them for breakfast for us grandkids. I have yet to try some as good as hers. :beat And her buñuelos on Christmas. So yummy!! And my mom would make this delicious pastel azteca, kind of like a casserole.

17. StarryEyedDesigns

StarryEyedDesigns My goal, is to make a goal

My grandmothers never cooked for me. My mom makes the best fudge. Every Sunday she would also make roast beef, potatoes and a veggie.

With the exception of the fudge I have pretty much mastered everything my mom makes :)

18. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

jenn mccabe and keepscrappin like this.
  19. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

Hot cross buns on Easter morning.

Chocolate cream pie.

Fresh bread rolls.

Crispy chocolate chip cookies.

My mom doesn't really like to cook (though she can manage), but she loves to bake. Every time I go back to her house, the baked goods are what I look forward to. The delicious smells just fill the house. Even my kids know that whenever they go to Grandma's house, they will get cookies. :lol: It's yet another reason to look forward to visiting her!

keepscrappin likes this.
  20. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Bless my mom's heart, she always kept us fed, but there is nothing that stands out. I'm also in the camp that was a super picky eater when I lived at home, but I've since found out that it was the way she cooked. For example, if the hamburger meat of any kind isn't turning black on the outside it's not done enough for her taste. :giggle And spices? I cleaned out her cupboard, and found a few that were legit 15 years old. I do love her broken glass torte! It's a jello and cream type thing which a graham cracker crust. And she has other talents.

My paternal grandma lived on a farm, and used what she had, even if it meant picking the weavils out of the flour first. So, my dad would stop at Wendy's (fast food) on the way to her house because my mom wouldn't eat there. Grandma always had a creamie (Popsicle) for us though. My maternal grandma made beautiful cakes.

keepscrappin likes this.