Have you got STYLE? - Challenge & Freebie by Mommyish

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by mommyish, Aug 23, 2016.

1. mommyish

mommyish Style Addict

Hi There! I am Leah (the crazy designer from Mommyish) and I am a style addict. You may be wondering "What is this lady talking about" but I am going to look into my crystal ball and say that the majority of you use styles in every layout! Yes, every layout! You may not *think* of your drop shadows as a style - but they are one of the more basic layer effects that we add to our layouts.

I am here to convert you into a style lover - and not just drop shadows! I'm talking about epoxy styles, acrylic, paint, marquee letters, metal, sand, balloons, wood veneer - I could go on FOREVER!
    [​IMG]

What stops most scrappers from using more transformative layer styles in layouts is just uncertainty on how to use them in a layout. For this challenge I am giving you the tools to start using styles to expand your current scrap collection. Below is a video tutorial showing the styles in use. Below the video is a link to the FREE set here at TLP! To participate all you have to do is use TWO of the FOUR style types in a layout.

Here are some examples create by myself, my CT member (and TLP forum regular) Amie and our template guru @gonewiththewind (Cheryl)! You can see where we have marked our use of the styles in the LO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Layout by @amien1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

layout by @gonewiththewind
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Storyteller 2016 August Collection by Just Jaimee
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Storyteller-2016-August-Collection-Choose-your-Bundle.html
    Style Challenge @ TLP Styles by Mommyish Designs
    Fonts are Stamp and Typewriter PG

You can even watch Cheryl's process >> here! << (You won't have the drop shadow problem as I added all styles with and without drop shadows <3)

*** Challenge Closed but Freebie is still available - Thank you for everyone who participated - the final codes are being sent now! ***

[​IMG]
    Get The Styles Here!

Q&A -

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    G.J., Cath_, tam65 and 9 others like this.
  2. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Great challenge, @mommyish! It's amazing how much styles can extend your scrapping stash. Thanks for sharing this exciting series with us!

3. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Definitely going to be getting in on this. I've purchased a few so far, and have decided style use is my next scrapping lesson. So excited for this!

4. Lor

Lor you've always had the power, my dear

Fun Challenge! I love styles and own quiet a few of yours! Hoping to play along! :-)

5. Lor

I don't the link to the style set @mommyish . :-(

6. mommyish

mommyish Style Addict

Lor likes this.
  7. Lor

No problem, just wanted to give you the heads up. Thank you! :-)

8. Calgirl

Calgirl New Member

I love using styles! I have a LARGE collection of your styles - they are so much fun to use.

9. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

Thanks for the free styles, Leah!
    Here is my page, using the metal rimmed edge style, the beveled kraft style, the photo stroke style and the halftone-darken style:
    [​IMG]

amien1, Brendazzle and mommyish like this.
  10. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Oohhh! Great challenge! I only discovered styles about a year ago but I love using them and have a few of yours already!!

11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I also used the halftone distressing on the round label with the black edge that tucked in to the right of my photo!

Thank you sooooo much for these awesome styles. I think my favorite was the kraft style for sure, but those metal edges, too . . . YUM!

12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Thank you! I understand how awesome styles can be and used to use them a long time ago, but not anymore in recent years.

Question: Does it matter where we store our styles? And what if we move them after they've been imported into Photoshop? Does that mess things up?

13. mommyish

mommyish Style Addict

Hi michelle! Great questions - When storing styles I personally keep them all in one folder named "styles" Each style then has its own folder. After you've imported them into photoshop you still want to keep the files as some styles use very high res textures that can slow down your program if you have several up at the same time (similar to having loads of brushes loaded) Also if your program crashes there is the chance that your style presets didn't save.

One fun thing you can do is save style presets in photoshop - lets say you have a specific set up of styles you want to use for a specific type of layout - you can save that as a new set of styles. I'll make up a little video tomorrow to show you <3

Brendazzle and michelepixels like this.
  14. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I don't use brushes much either :blush

So we should NOT just install ALL of our brushes and styles at once? I actually have A LOT that I've collected in the decade I've been scrapping (some from my photography hobby too).

15. tjanecook

tjanecook New Member

Thank you for the free styles!! I am new to digital scrapbooking & Photoshop & love using your styles! For this layout I used the metal rimmed edge style, the beveled kraft style & the photo stroke style. EllieFlowers.jpg

amien1, Brendazzle and mommyish like this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

That metal edge is awesome! I can't wait to play with them, and get out some of the styles hanging around on my computer.

I don't install them all for a few reasons. 1. Slower to load. but more importantly, 2. Slower to scroll! I hate having to search for the brush I want, so I have a few presets saved that are my most often used. I load up others as I want to use them, and when the palette gets really full, and starts to annoy me when searching, I reload the default set I created. I love alphas and dates as brushes, but they fill the palette up so fast I hate to have a bunch of them loaded at once. It's super easy to switch between them though.

Brendazzle and michelepixels like this.
  17. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

Awesome challenge Leah :)

18. mommyish

mommyish Style Addict

I absolutely love this LO! Fantastic job - the metal frames on those labels look SO cool!

Great job cutting out the text on the chipboard shape at the bottom! I actually did a similar thing in a layout of my own while testing these styles and loved how it turned out! (also those paw prints are so darn cute!)

19. mommyish

mommyish Style Addict

Here is my first Q&A video! If you have questions feel free to post them and I will make a weekly Q&A video during the duration of this challenge <3

@michelepixels

20. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

[​IMG]

used the wire edging on the word IF (also added a color layer style to the word IF to change the color from green to neon pink) Used the photo edge, and used the halftone distressing dark on the kraft paper. {I use multiple styles sometimes by selecting the layer in the layer pallet, and then holding the shift key while clicking on another style at the same time.}

klee73010, amien1, tape and 2 others like this.