Lightroom: From Workflow to WOW, Session 2 Video, July 21, 2016

Discussion in 'Six Weeks of Summer School' started by gonewiththewind, Jul 23, 2016.

1. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Thanks so much to all of you who attended the second live session! If you didn't get to attend, here's the link to the Adobe Connect recording ~ so you haven't missed anything!

If you find upon viewing/reviewing the video that you have questions, please be sure to share them here. I'll answer them as best I can or I'll let you know if I'll be covering the answer to your question in an upcoming session.

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Thanks for the video. Here is a shortcut for you ---
    Hit G to get Grid view.
    Hit D to get to Develop view.

Of course, Ctrl-Z is undo.

gonewiththewind and angiekey like this.
  3. angiekey

angiekey Permanent residence in the gutter

Thanks, Bev - I'm always looking for new keyboard shortcuts to use in Lightroom! The faster I can get my pics processed, the more time I have to play with layouts. Here's a few I use all the time:

W is for WHITE BALANCE - it gives you the eyedropper you can use to pick a neutral in the image.
    X marks the image for deletion
    P marks the image as a "pick"
    U un-marks the image (removes the "pick" flag)
    B toggles the image in and out of your Quick Collection, which is super handy if you're gathering photos + supplies for a layout - just hit B on each one, and then go under the Catalog pane and Quick Collection + will show you all the images you gathered.
    If you turn on Auto-Advance (Photo ... Auto Advance) you can blast through an entire folder of images by pressing X, P, X, P, etc.
    CTRL+BACKSPACE deletes all images in the current folder that are marked for deletion (with the X key)
    CTRL+U will auto-develop the image. It's not perfect, but in many cases, it can be a good start. Especially if they're just travel snapshots rather than portraiture.
    CTRL+ALT+V will paste the develop settings from the last image you were on, onto the current image. So if I'm working through a bunch of frames shot at the same place under the same conditions, I get the first one tweaked the way I like, and then go to the next one and press CTRL+ALT+V. That gets me 95% of the way done ... then just make whatever little tweaks are needed.
    TAB collapses all the panels so you have more screen real-estate. Pressing TAB again will re-open those tabs.

I love LR keyboard shortcuts - keep 'em coming!

4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Thank you so much for the video. I look forward to watching it today. :heartlub

gonewiththewind likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

If you are in Lightroom CC, you can also click CTRL+/ to access the keyboard shortcuts for the library and develop modules. Handy if you can't remember a shortcut!

elseepe likes this.
  6. cookingmylife

Well, I never got round to this one til today. I think my brain has melted this summer. I had no idea that you could drag a folder into LR as you did! I am def going to use this one more so with my Monthly Digi folder. That way I can import the same folder periodically during the month and in subsequent imports only the new items would be imported. I've been finding that doing tagging monthly can get to be a Big Job rather than doing them say as just SOSN purchases. (I could have done this the standard import way but somehow dragging seems so much faster than 2 clicks...)

I'll keep them in that monthly folder til the end of the month when all the tagged purchases can then go into their permanent folders. Wheee!

One thing I do add to all photo imports is the Punch preset. I can always turn it down later but with my iPhone it often adds just enough for me. And NO, I never saw that White Balance option in the Basic panel of the Develop module. Now that I see it, I wonder how I missed it. One thing I've found is that every teacher has a few things in particular to add to your knowledge base. Learning is so good Cheryl!

7. gonewiththewind

Woo-Hoo! I'm so glad you found something to speed up your process!

Once you've brought the folder into Lightroom, you can click and drag again to import new photos/items OR you can right click on the folder name in the left hand panel and when the dialog box open, choose Synchronize Photos. It will do the same thing as well!

8. cookingmylife

Cheryl, I hope I can make this question clear. When you Synchronize, which direction does it go? I'm thinking LR will synch from the HD or EHD etc. not vice versa.

Now here, I'm talking of my Digi Catalog. Most of the time, I Delete From Disk when I cull items that slipped through the initial deletion when I first buy stuff. e.g. I don't usually keep the .pngs in template folders or the .tiff file. But sometimes I'm on the fence about some .pngs like a mask so I might have only said Remove. Say if one of your templates is in LR already and I only said Remove when I saw them in LR, will a synch pull the Removed items from the HD folder if they are still there? I'm thinking yes. (Boy sometimes it seems so hard to describe what would be easy to show if we were both at a LR catalog!)

9. gonewiththewind

Yes, Lightroom will see that file as something new, BUT you have the option when syncing to uncheck whatever you don't want included. Same thing when dragging and dropping the file. I can do a quick video if you'd like to see what I mean . . . if I'm not making myself clear. LOL Video is sometimes so much easier!

10. cookingmylife

When you have time, I would love to see a video of synching. Thank you Cheryl!