*WINNER ANNOUNCED* Journal Card Challenge - Summer School Week 2

Discussion in 'Six Weeks of Summer School' started by SirScrapalot, Jul 9, 2016.

1. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

I'm not really sure...I've never printed my pages that use the enlarged journal card...

2. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I used 2 journal cards from Allison Pennington`s "In Summer-y" kit. I took the card with words all over it and messed with colours, made it kind of opaque and made it into an overlay. which I placed on a regular patterned paper from the same kit. I then took the kraft card from the same kit and made it into a frame. Its not what I had in mind at all, but I had never thought to use a patterned paper as an overlay, and glad I tried it!

[​IMG]

cfile, Lindzee, ljonezy and 2 others like this.
  3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

As soon as I saw the "laughing' card I knew I wanted it for this photo which I snatched from FB. I enlarged the card, duplicated it and made both versions Color Burn at 100%. I could't use a gradient to blend it into the paper and still have the crisp outline matching the size of the photo, so I used the dinsk_recycle_canvas_pp06.jpg paper at 100% Normal and the dinsk_recycle_canvas_pp08.jpg above it PinLight at 100% PinLight. It was just the look I wanted. Very simple with the focus on the card and photo.

[​IMG]

4. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I used Journal Cards clipped to masks as paint. There are actually 5 JCs used in this LO. Combined with last week's lesson, I love how this turned out.
    [​IMG]

BevG, Cristina, Lindzee and 5 others like this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I always place embedded and it will allow me to enlarge with little to no issue on printing... it will be a smart object until you rasterize.

Lindzee likes this.
  6. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Fun challenge...I used the little journalers to make a background for my page

[​IMG]

cfile, mcurtt, Lindzee and 2 others like this.
  7. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

Thanks I use PSE so that isn't an option.

8. gillscott

gillscott Waldo's just my alias

i used one of the free journal cards cropped to use as wordstrips
    [​IMG]

Lindzee, mcurtt and cookingmylife like this.
  9. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

I loved this challenge. I love journal cards so it's always fun to find a different way to use them!! Enlarged journal card and used almost as a frame for two photos...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    mcurtt, Lindzee, bellbird and 2 others like this.
  10. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

Here is my LO for week 2 of summer school. I used a JC in the typical way - for my journaling. But, I also created a banner from four of the journal cards from the kit I used AND I made the 5th journal card (Good Times) myself from items in the kit.

jenn mccabe and Lindzee like this.
  11. tape

tape Active Member

I layered journal cards on the edges of my 12x6 layout.

[​IMG]

Lindzee likes this.
  12. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

Used a journal card for a photo mat for 2 pictures :)
    [​IMG]

mcurtt and ljonezy like this.
  13. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

my files are in my head, like the circles around the page. and white shows what the fat table of windows did...

[​IMG]

Lindzee and BevG like this.
  14. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

I've played, here's my page :
    [​IMG]

so I've extracted the WA "so this happened" from a card and create a word strip. I've recolored it a bit too

Lindzee likes this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i love this idea! and your layout looks great (would have never known u used journal cards!_

wvsandy likes this.
  16. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I cut the word strip from a journal card.

[​IMG]

Lindzee and mcurtt like this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i'm guilty of using cards straight up usually, they work for my blocky mostly style anyway but i managed to play along with this one (inspired by @wvsandy 's brush/mask idea & @scarletsierra 's cards); i combined 2 of Val W's Topography templates and added the yellow polka journal card duplicated and cut up as a base under some of the paint/mask spots, masked the 'beautiful life' card for the title & cut down and clipped 2 other journal cards, so there's 4 cards on there
    [​IMG]

Lindzee, wvsandy and mcurtt like this.
  18. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I used Journal cards to frame my photo.
    [​IMG]

19. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

What version? PSE has smart objects. Add the card/element/photo from within your layouts using the place command on the file menu and it should then be a smart object, which means you can resize and keep qualities before rasterizing.

cfile likes this.
  20. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

Thanks, that is something I didn't know (I use PSE11 and I checked and I do have that option).

This is my page
    [​IMG]

I used seven journal cards on here. All the patterned paper circles are journal cards clipped (some have a frame style from Just Jaimee added for a different effect). The yellow/scalloped bottom edge is a journal card overlapped/aligned/duplicated. The red arrow at the top has a section from another journal card clipped to the 'empty' part of the label. The ticket underneath was extracted and recoloured from a journal card, at the bottom right the 'buy the ticket' word strip was extracted from a journal card.

Lindzee, wvsandy, cfile and 1 other person like this.