The Bird and the Sword

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by amandac, Jun 4, 2016.

1. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

I have to share this book with you! This book .... WOW! I LOVED it!! It is a magical, fantastical escape from reality and yet with enough real emotion to pierce you and bring it to life. It is a wonderful read for lovers of fantasy and epic romance! I gave a solid 5 stars on goodreads and can honestly say it is my favourite read so far this year!

[​IMG]

"Swallow, Daughter, pull them in, those words that sit upon your lips. Lock them deep inside your soul, hide them ‘til they’ve time to grow. Close your mouth upon the power, curse not, cure not, ‘til the hour. You won’t speak and you won’t tell, you won’t call on heav’n or hell. You will learn and you will thrive. Silence, Daughter. Stay alive.

The day my mother was killed, she told my father I wouldn’t speak again, and she told him if I died, he would die too. Then she predicted the king would trade his soul and lose his son to the sky.

My father has a claim to the throne, and he is waiting in the shadows for all of my mother’s words to come to pass. He wants desperately to be king, and I just want to be free.

But freedom will require escape, and I’m a prisoner of my mother’s curse and my father’s greed. I can’t speak or make a sound, and I can’t wield a sword or beguile a king. In a land purged of enchantment, love might be the only magic left, and who could ever love . . . a bird?"​

It was ....... just WOW!

scrapsandsass likes this.
  2. jh_scraps

jh_scraps Member

Amy Harmon is one of my favourite authors - such a talented writer! thanks for sharing I cannot wait to read this one!

amandac likes this.
  3. amandac

Yes she is a good authour! I enjoyed reading Making Faces too ...... these two books are so different but both beautifully written :D

4. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Ok, going on my ever lengthening to be read list - haven't read a fantasy for a while so will give this one a go soon.

amandac likes this.
  5. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Just went to put it on my list and it's already there! excellent!
    I have just finished my favourite book this year as well - written a couple of years ago -

upload_2016-6-5_15-24-30.jpeg

Dystopian but with hope and beautifully writtten.

amandac likes this.
  6. amandac

Ohh I will have to look at that one Karen!

7. Kate W

Kate W And justice for all ...

Thanks, I love fantasy, I haven't heard of that one. Fantasy tends to be the only genre that I re-read again and again, so I always get my money's worth when I find a good one!! :agree:agree

amandac likes this.
  8. amandac

Kate if you like Fantasy, have you read Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone Series? Another outstandingly well written series and fabulous world building!

9. Kate W

Kate W And justice for all ...

I'd forgotten about those books. I've read the first one, I think I have the others on my wishlist, waiting for the price to come down, I'll have to check....Thanks for the reminder :) :)

10. jh_scraps

jh_scraps Member

I havent read that one yet my favourites of hers were the law of moses and song of david! highly recommend those as must reads :)

amandac likes this.
  11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I love you enablers! My summer is set. :perfect