Let's talk about movies...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by MrsPeel, Jun 1, 2016.

1. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I don't usually go for war movies.... I really dislike the machine of war as, in my humble opinion, is nothing to do with countries honour and lots to do with very very few people on the top making money from everything from weapons/ammunition to shoe laces/uniforms...
    but my dad was an Army scientist, 70% of my friends are Army people, so we watched American Snipper last night.... I cried with all my heart at the end of it with the funeral images, even more so because we know this is a true story....
    Then I feel like going for old movies like Saving Pvte Ryan or other films like that which I skipped because I don't like watching war...
    have you ever had that feeling? do you have a special type that you go for?
    One kind you would pass/say no over & over again?

2. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Movies that are the most hard for me are those like Sophie's Choice or Schindlers list. I guess these relate to war also, but they deal with innocent children and how they are so victimized by us when we decide to fight with one another. I can't watch movies about suffering children even if they turn out happy in the end. I didn't like Slum Dog Millionaires for the same reason, and especially when the female star's dad decided to sell her because she was famous and he could get more money.....

MrsPeel likes this.
  3. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

NO Horror movies!!!! NO NO NO!!!! No Jasons or Freddies in my house! Cujo and Chucky can go away too!!!! But the strange thing is I LOVE Sci Fi !!! Even if there are "uglies" in the movie. Sci Fi just fascinates me!

jesskab, elseepe and MrsPeel like this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I agree with @Lindzee: I don't like movies (and shows) that use innocent children or otherwise try to attract viewers with unnecessary scenes of violence/etc or use salaciousness to keep viewers. (There is a term for using violence to excite viewers, but I'm not going to use it here.) There should be a way of respecting the actors and the people they're portraying while also respecting the audience: the audience doesn't need to SEE all the violence. As far as Slumdog Millionaire, I didn't know that. :(

Anyway, I don't usually like war movies because they're either boring (all talk and no action, like blustering men posturing about) or they're the opposite: all action and senseless violence--senseless because it's a film and we don't have to see all of that to know what's going on, but the violence in a war film is worse because if it's a film based on an actual war, then we know that violence like it did happen. (Umm, does that make sense?)
    ETA: I should mention that I do think it's important to remember what happened during wartime, in order to hopefully stop people in power from doing the same things again. And also just to remind us, the viewer, to be sympathetic to others. Who said "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    MrsPeel and Lindzee like this.
  5. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I really like psych thrillers, like Butterfly Effect from ages ago, or Push. But the second they start getting gross, mean, or scary, I'm done... like the "Saw" movies.

MrsPeel likes this.
  6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I really only watch the romantic comedies and Star Wars and Disney/Pixar animated ones.

MrsPeel likes this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I'm not a big fan of war movies either ... but there are some I have watched too. I thought American Snipers was super sad, saw it in the theater and balled my eyes out. I also liked Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, and recently saw Lone Survivor because my husband and son were watching it, and I actually didn't get up to leave. It held my attention. But, yeah ... usually that stuff is not for me.

The worst for me is Horror or Psycho Thrillers. Can not stand to be scared. It happened when I became a parent. I could watch scary stuff before that, but once I had a little person I was responsible for, I didn't look at the world quite the same way again.

bestcee and MrsPeel like this.
  8. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Never to any type of horror! I agree if there is something hard to do with children no to that also. Other wise I'm a go for any other kind.

MrsPeel likes this.
  9. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

If I know there will be animal cruelty or death, I am probably not watching it. I just cannot handle it.

I love sci fi or comic book movies. I am also big on animated movies.

MrsPeel likes this.
  10. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

I'm not a big fan of war movies either ... I loooove Thriller/horror, scary movies!!!
    Like Case 39, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, The Others, Misery, The Return Of The Living Dead,An American Werewolf in London...
    But my favorites ever are: The Sixth Sense (1999), The Exorcist (1973), The Shining (1980), Poltergeist (1982), The Omen (1976) and the Jaws (1975)!!!

[​IMG]

klee73010 and MrsPeel like this.
  11. MrsPeel

Please forgive me for the typos, this mouse doesn't work on right click for editing? in Firefox? and can't find any spell checker!!!! if any new iMac users on Firefox know...any tips welcome!!

oh I see we are all so very similar in the way our brain works.... agree with you @jenn mccabe I changed after I became a mother.... I used to LOVE reading and watching horror... now not even free...I have watched a couple of exorcist kind movies but wont go for it if I have to pay...we watched The Exorcism of Emily Rose on Netfllix couple of years ago...we had to sleep in the same bed with Sarita as we both were spooked out!!!!

funnily enough...we watched Schindlers List again with Sarita a few weeks ago, as she wanted to watch it for a` while, since she been to Israel in 2012... so you see how long it took for me to get it together to watch.....
    I also had a broken heart with the Boy with The Striped Pijamas... and also dislike evil children portraited in movies .... ***shivers***

same here with horror, like I mentioned above, I used to LOVE read and watch, the minute I became a mother all that changed!!! can't stand them!!!! now the Sci Fi thing is depending... I LOVE Star Trek Next Generation & Voyager, but not keen on Depp Space 9 or any of the others...never took up Stars Wars but that may change thanks to Melissa aka @scrappyjedi !!!

I couldn't agree more..... even though I know one cannot just blame movies or TV for violence in everyday life, I think the massive access to it has a bad influence in people who would otherwise not be able to even imagine to do some of those things :( I think that respect is a thing we are lacking in general in this modern society :(
    and yes also to the memory and avoid repeating terrible things....shame that even with the memory, some sectors still try to make things happen in such a bad way....
    I guess I didn't think about the need for refreshing people's memory because of the high impact American Snipper got on me...and the way he met his end.... but you are so right....

Oh gosh no Saw!!!!! no please!!! I can't understand why Sarita and her friends watch it...more than once!!!!
    Now I LOVE love that kind of thrillers (Butterfly Effect Time Travelers Wife)!!! BUT I try avoiding painful ones these days.... a couple of months ago I watched a movie on Netflix called A Winter Tale with Collin Farrel and the one girl who played Sybil in Downton Abbey.... I started crying when the film was in the first 10 minutes, frok minute eleven until the end, a cry that hurts your chest but you NEED to know what happens next...... I need to keep telling myself [is not real- is NOT real] LOL

I'm not a great fan of animation but Sarita made me wtach some, like How to Train your Dragon and I loved them....now the Disney movies are a passion of mine, I loved it when Sarita was 8 till 15, she loved Disney (still does actually LOL) and we watched Huigh School Musical, Cheetah Girls, all Disney movies that are a feel good thing...I still play High SchoolMusical and Cheetahs on my iTunes a lot LOL also another film that makes me happy eachj time: Sister Act 1 and Sister Act 2..... the music (I love worship music in general too) just can make me come out of the black hole!!!!

again, agree 100% (and if you liked Saving Private Ryan now I know I want to watch it for sure!!!) I also had a MAJOR change in tastes when I became a mother.... at the time, my mian earning money was as a Health Advocate and Interpreter for two NHS Trusts, Camden 9our area) and Parksiude Health which taleas up the hospitals and all meducal services of the neighboruing Borough.... it all started when I was 4 months pregnant.... I had gone to take up cases at Great Ormond St, Children hsopital, a LOT. Never had a problem, my cases were successful and I always got back home well.
    That day they sent me to an Agolan family with a kid that I think wasn't even a year old...with a form of leucemia that meant he woudn't survive his 2nd birthday....I had to make a HUGE effort not to cry on the court room, and then outside with the parents.... and when I got home I cried all night.
    The morning after I called my supervisor and asked to be taken of any cases involving children....then I couldn't read or watch horror....and like that I kept changing.....

yup, as I said before, same here!!!!

oh yes agian, I agree on the animal cruelty.... it not only breaks my heart but it makes me angry!!!! I understand grown men going to war but to act on cruelty on animals who cannot defend or speak for themsleves...that is just low :(
    Love sci fi but am a bit picky (like I answered to NancyP above) and animated is growing on me slowly now Sarita is making me watch them!!!

noooossssssaaaa da pra ver a gente e tipo da mesma geracao kkkk

you can tell Paula & I are more or less same generation!!!! I love them too Paula, and the one that I really love was AI Artificial Intelligence (I think it was the kid on the gif?)
    Now is like I said with the sci fi thing...... IO am picky. I loved The Sixth Sense and most of the ones you mentioned (like Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal that kind of thriller, I used to like a lot more in the past but still enjoy, just not so much...) but you will NEVER catch me seeing living dead/zombies stuff, just don't like them!!!!
    I did watch one zombie movie I kinda liked, cant remember the name but with the boy from Love Actually... but now they made Pride and Prejudice on zombies??????
    what?????
    nope, not for me!!! LOL

paula kesselring and Tree City like this.
  12. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

How similar we are. I love sci-fi! When the aliens are different and to me ugly that's all cool... no problem.
    Slasher/horror - keep it..
    Saving private Ryan was one of the few war movies I also enjoyed (sort of - it was sad) and even though they did show a few scenes of war, they were pretty limited and the story was really about the characters and war affects everyone according to their own life.

MrsPeel and Tree City like this.
  13. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

I pretty much hate war and prison movies. I avoid them all.

MrsPeel likes this.
  14. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I am an absolute NO for horror movies or anything scary and/or too violent. Honestly, I am not much of a TV or movie watcher. It's kind of joke in my house that I have about a 3 movie per year limit. :giggle
    The last movie I really enjoyed was The Martian. I like comedies and sci-fi mostly.

MrsPeel likes this.
  15. ~Mary

~Mary Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth

I prefer my books and movies to provide a fictional escape ~ which is why I love fantasy and sci fi and/or anything with magic in it. I like superheroes! I don't mind thrillers but don't watch the stupid scary flicks. If it can't be real then it doesn't scare me, like zombies. I can't wait for Tarzan........29 more days!

MrsPeel likes this.
  16. MrsPeel

I love it how I get to know you all a bit better through our likes and dislikes...and how similar we are in most things..... I was just telling an old friend of mine about the scrap community....and he said how amazing that in a melting pot of cultures, we have such a bond!!!!!
    I'm definitely watching Saving Pvte Ryan at some point then....
    oh I have known we are quiet simnilar you & me in many ways since you came to the family.... we are very dfferent in the way that we express things (my inner Latina is alive and kicking LOL) but also seeing your Facebook posts always, always gets a laughter or a smile or thought provoking......

LOL 3????? three????? only?????? I have to admit that I lived for 3 years in a very small fisherman's village when Sarita was a toddler, we moved there with Andy and her when she was 2... and there is no cinema not even in the next town, so we didnt watch any movies apart from the very old ones on TV..... so I guess I could very well live without going to the cinema...but the way things are so accessible online (we have Netflix and Amazon Video, plus Love Film which is ama`zonhg but sends DVDs on the post) but also I do understand the fact that I have little to do..
    Oh I want to watch the martian!!!! and LOVE comedies!!!! they dont make enough of those these days :(

yes, I have that too most of the time.... started watching on TV something called The Catch that just started here in the UK..... I didn't even finished the first episode and I knew I dont want to be stressing with TV... I have enough of that on my own life!!!!! LOL
    the zombie thing...I dont like them, I just think is silly and...whilst I love fantasy and sci fi...it has to have the possibility of being real to some extend....and zombies... well that is one thing I am sure does not exist LOL

17. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

They just don't make movies like they used to..sigh....
    Hitchcock and sixth sense I love , but I can't bear anything where an animal gets hurt. And Don't start watching if I know beforehand, and skip it( as in go make coffee )if it takes me by surprise.

paula kesselring and MrsPeel like this.
  18. MrsPeel

Vivi...are you still awake or just woke up? @Nemla
    I m delighted to be on at the same time you are!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and yes, they don't do movies the way they used to...also, I remember movies used to stay at leadt 6 months on the theaters!!!!!

19. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

@MrsPeel woke up at 4. 4 1/2 hours sleep should be enough for any one LoL. What about you .?

20. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

Gosh, I've been thinking about movies the last hour or so. When I was in high school, I was really interested in "old" or "classic" movies. I remember a cable channel called American Movie Classics. I was always watching that.

I love the Rock Hudson/Doris Day films. Pillow Talk is more well known, but I liked the one called Send Me No Flowers. Rock Hudson played the hypochondriac husband to a "t" and was so funny!

The Seven Year Itch is another favorite, with Marilyn Monroe.

AMC introduced me to my first black comedy, which was called The Gazebo. It was about a man who killed and buried someone, and then later was shocked to discover the man he thought he killed was still alive, so he goes on a mission to try to figure out exactly who he killed without giving away that he killed anyone.

One of my favorite Gary Grant movies is called Indiscreet. It also starred Ingrid Bergman, and she wore the most beautiful dresses! Of course, Grace Kelly also wore such beautiful dresses in To Catch a Thief.

Any other fans of classic movies?

paula kesselring and MrsPeel like this.