Show me your sad and/or serious pages, please

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by AmaG, May 27, 2016.

1. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

I've got more gravestone iconography photos to scrap, including some grave images from my genealogical search. I'm not so good at making pages look serious as opposed to happy/silly etc. so I need ideas. Can you help me out ladies?

I would also love to see some heritage LO's. Again, I'm a bright color, cutesy themed-element scrapper, so this is way out of my comfort zone...

scrapsandsass likes this.
  2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

AmaG, jesskab and Danyale like this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

For me, it's hard as well. I'm actually struggling how to scrap my youngest child. He is my struggle, and it's current, ongoing, and still up in the air what our issues will turn out to be. I love him dearly, and worry about him SO much.

I think I reflect this with my choice of photo colors to take away the happy feel that might be implied there. I also use less colorful kits and more somber colors. Here is one layout for MOC that we had to journal meaningfully. My journaling is kind of a mix of sadness and how hard it sometimes can be, being a parent.

[​IMG]

From looking at my gallery, I post all happy. My life is far from perfect, so I think I just tend to focus on the positive and try to show the happy times.

So, for your situation, maybe focus on neutral colors, genealogy information and kits. What ever the photos make you feel could be how you might scrap them. If they make you happy, add pops of color. If they are sad, use colors that speak for your sadness as well as elements that might reflect that - broken heart, keys/locket, etc.

Here are some Heritage/Family layouts that might spark some inspiration:
    Lynn's (She has a whole slew of wonderful layouts like this)
    [​IMG]

Happy Heritage-ish... Carol's:
    [​IMG]

Linda's
    [​IMG]

Helen's:
    [​IMG]

And... I even found your page that is totally perfect!
    [​IMG]

4. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

Here are a few from me . . . I don't shy away from tough topics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AmaG, jesskab, jk703 and 1 other person like this.
  5. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I'm probably not a good one to ask because I do all of my pages with bright colors. Even if they are serious and/or heritage-ish. But... if I have a heritage kit to work with, I will use it. I'm just generally not a heritage-y scrapper. I prefer pages with bright colors and fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More serious pages...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AmaG likes this.
  6. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I love seeing these. I'll look in my gallery to see what I can share. But today I need to scrap some not so fun, okay bad day. Helps to see what other's have done and to feel there's others out there.

AmaG likes this.
  7. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I'm not one much for dwelling on sadness either. I'm a firm believer of pulling up the boot straps and making the best of each situation, then dwelling on the positive and count blessings not sorrows. I have a couple of serious pages though which touch the heart more than the funny bone:
    [​IMG]
    This one was sad for me because I realized my mother probably had the same insecurities as me and struggled with the same self image

[​IMG]
    This was a message to my children asking them for forgiveness for not always being the best mother.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    AmaG likes this.
  8. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

9. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Here's two heritage type photos of mine. I have scrapped funerals and graves, but I can't see them on my mobile, so I'll look for you if you want. I'm a bright scrapper too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AmaG likes this.
  11. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I have scrapped a lot about my Moms sudden death, but they aren't done with TLP products, so I don't know if I can link them. I have vintage ones as well.

12. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

no link, but think it ok, to just upload the file to show, not mentioning anything of its orginal content, that what i did above

13. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

The one person I think of for this is Melissa (@yzerbear19). She has done a large amount of pages on this subject, and they're beautiful. Here's some of her pages, but check out her gallery for more ideas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure if you pm her she'll be happy to share ideas with you.

yzerbear19, BevG, AmaG and 1 other person like this.
  14. AmaG

Love. Ha, Thanks!

jk703 likes this.
  15. AmaG

So much inspo here! Love you ladies.

16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I layout I created to remember my granny and her gentleness.

[​IMG]

A photo of my maternal grandfather in the Phillippines during WWII.

[​IMG]

Remembering my brother who died when he was 2 days old (I was 13).

[​IMG]

My grandmother on her wedding day.

[​IMG]

My grandmother, mother and aunt at Pensacola Beach in the 1950's.

[​IMG]

My mom and her sister in the 1950's.

[​IMG]

My paternal grandparents on one of the only vacations they ever took. Photo from 1960's.

[​IMG]

Hope some of these help you!

jk703 likes this.
  17. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

18. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I took a look through my own LOs and I realized that if I do a tough topic, then I probably don't include a photo. Maybe these can at least give you some inspiration on colors?
    This is a LO about how I processed my mom's cancer diagnosis. The colors aren't super bright but they aren't dark, either. Where I have a bunch of (blurred-for-posting-in-galleries) journaling, you could do photos, of course.
    [​IMG]
    And another page with some color. No pic again. *shrug*
    [​IMG]

This was for the MOC Scrap Therapy challenge. It's mostly muted with some pops of color. As others have mentioned, "serious" doesn't have to mean "somber." :)
    [​IMG]

Perhaps your layouts can focus on the life lived by the person (or people) you are scrapping about, and so even though you will feature photographs of tombstones, your pages can celebrate your ancestors' stories and your gratitude at having found information about them.

jk703 likes this.
  19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I hadn't realized until I started looking for layouts that were about tough or sad topics/events that I tend to use a gray background. Boy is that accurate to my feelings!

The first ones were from when my adult daughter was diagnosed with cancer. She was in a very bad life place then and her borderline diagnosis seemed to take over. (She is totally cured and doing quite well these days!)

12_365_week_3_HP.jpg

12_365_week_5_HP.jpg
    This was when she was home for a short time and would not talk or take her medicine. She ended up in the psych ward before returning to her oncologist.

365_Week_6_HP.jpg

Then there was one done about half a year after 9/11. It's called My Home My Heart.

Journaling_Challenge_final_700.jpg

And finally one that describes my 2nd son. He has always had a mind of his own but he really is the most lovable person. Difficult back then but easy now that he's in his 40s!!

Amsterdam_1980_600LP.jpg

jk703 likes this.
  20. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

You go girl! What a strong woman and amazing example. Wow can I relate! I may scraplift or at least use some of your topics. Thanks for sharing. Timing is so perfect today.