Tips Please! (on using all the stuffs)

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Kate W, May 17, 2016.

1. Kate W

Kate W And justice for all ...

I have just been browsing through the May Template Challenge thread and there are so many great 'filled up' pages using a lot of elements.

I love all the stuff and I really want to make pages with LOTS OF STUFF on!! Even using templates I just can't seem to get my pages to look right.

I played with my last page literally all day yesterday! Don't get me wrong..I had fun, but I could have carried on adding more stuff, then taking more stuff away....:P

Any tips for me? I want to use ALL THE STUFFS :giggle

And just whilst I am asking questions.. since we've changed to the new forum my images are really big when I post them in a thread. I have tried changed dpi when I save but it hasn't made a difference. Is there something I need to add into the BB code?

Thank You!!

scrapsandsass likes this.
  2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

the gallery displays 900 by 900 I think? idk. I agree it's a bit bigger. ... I am really liking the gallery code which I think is at the bottom of the list. I don't have to copy and paste anything if I use the black camera icon in this posting box :giggle

as far as using everything... I pile a lot of stuffs on my page, and move it around. sometimes I go back and pile more... then hide/delete later. My only tip is to mimic someone else for awhile, till you get the hang of it. That is how I'm practicing my flower clusters. I don't think I do a good job, so i'm just keeping on, keeping on, until I like it and feel like it's good. not sure if that helps!

3. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I think you did a great job on that page.

I have a similar problem with wanting to use all the stuff. LOL. I am not good at clustering it though. If I'm in doubt on clustering, I try to follow the template pretty closely, or I'll move things around just a wee bit. If you like one template but it isn't "full" enough, try to duplicate the set of layers/clusters you like and then you can add on that way.

Kate W likes this.
  4. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

OH I have this problem also. You should see my paper pages! LOL And I like foam adhesive ALOT! I am going to be the same way with digital though, I want to use everything!!! LOL

jesskab and Kate W like this.
  5. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

Kate W likes this.
  6. Kate W

Awesome, thanks, I didn't know about that :)

I have been practising, too. I could spend hours adding more stuffs!! :)

With your advice in mind, I used a template on my latest page & stuck to it as closely as I could. Good idea about duplicating layers, I will give it a try :)

Li Li Wee likes this.
  7. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I never heard about the black camera thing either. Thanks.

klee73010 likes this.
  8. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

I agree with Klee in mimicking someone else. I still have a problem with nice big flower clusters which I LOVE. I will see one that someone did and I will save the layout and then just practice using theirs as a guideline. Then I will add my own spin to it.

klee73010 likes this.
  9. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I learned how to cluster by using Cheryl's templates exactly. @gonewiththewind

Take a look at today's SOSN template...

[​IMG]
    It's a classic big flower cluster template. Find each flower and greenery level. Line up the flowers exactly and copy the shadow style that Cheryl used. The trick is to get the flowers arranged so the shadows overlap correctly. Once you do it a few times following the template, then you'll "see" it better. Good luck!!!

(p.s. this was my take on it ...)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  10. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

What?!?! How did I not know about this lovely feature! Kristina you are the BOMB!!!

enjoyyourpix and klee73010 like this.
  11. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

Oh nice one I didn't know about that, very cool!

enjoyyourpix and klee73010 like this.
  12. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

I am not the best cluster around. In fact i don't really like clustering. It just isn't my thing. However there are a few things I do utilize when I do cluster. Maybe they will help you out.

1. Use a visual triangle. Three spots of clustering. Look at Cheryl's templates you'll see the triangle I promise!
    2. Use similar elements in each cluster. If you use flowers in one, use flowers in another.
    3. Watch someone cluster. Cheryl does videos of her scrapping. Watch them and see how she does it. I enjoy watching well known paper scrappers create layouts on YouTube. I've learned A LOT about clustering and element choices this way.
    4. Scope out the gallery. Find a clustered layout you love and analyze WHY you like it. Is the use of a certain element? Is it the layering of different textures? Then try to mimic it on a layout. I would suggest trying to mimic it with a DIFFERENT kit than the one used. This really challenges you but helps you grow at the same time.

Hope some of those tips help!

13. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

DPI is only used for printing. The web doesn't care at all about DPI. If the pixel exists in the image, it will display it, which means no matter what DPI it is, 800 pixels wide will always be wider than 600 pixels wide. If you want it smaller, save at 600x600 or 700x700, not at 800x800.

gonewiththewind and Kate W like this.
  14. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

oh oh oh oh... and. Just remembered. I like to find different ways to use things. Jenn (i think jk703) writes a blog series on the PRD blog about "three ways" (they are usually the blog challenge inspiration, so follow links to the Pink Reptile Designs blog challenge to get there)... LOVE those posts. Cynthia's (MrsPeel) layouts are really good with this too. Like... rather then using a zipper element (for example) just as part of a cluster, Cynthia would use the zipper to line up papers on a page and make it look way more fun.

I still need more practice in this area... but it's fun practice! and it does help me to use more elements than I probably would have to begin with.

enjoyyourpix and Kate W like this.
  15. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I am of no help. I have been labelled a clean scrapper. I didn't mean to be, I just have issues layering & clustering. It's so awkward for me. Like, when you see a fashion article on mixing florals with stripes. I put it together & it looks like I got dressed in the dark or you know, Crazy lady alert!

16. Kate W

Thanks @lorryfach I always understand your explanations way better than the explanations I find when I google!

I love the 'three way' posts on PRD @klee73010 I'm going to take another look.

Thanks @mrspotts those are great tips, especially about using similar elements in each cluster. I'll definitely try to analyse my fave LOs too.

@enjoyyourpix - you've enabled me!! I wasn't going to spend any more money this month, but those templates are just about to fall into my basket :) :)

enjoyyourpix and lorryfach like this.
  17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I took a look at your layout you linked and you did an awesome job layering and mixing patterns.

My only suggestion is for you to consider adding deeper (not darker but indicating depth) shadows. I think you would see quite a bit of difference in how your layering will start to really pop. That's only a suggestion if you want to try something else, as I think the layout is quite fun and all the elements really enhance your theme of fun and playfulness that's evident in the photos.

angiekey, mrspotts and enjoyyourpix like this.
  18. Kate W

OH that is me to a tee! :giggle

Thanks for the advice Cheryl! I have been lazy with shadows, just using the default ones. You've inspired me to have a play and find out how to create my own custom shadow settings (on CraftArtist)!!

Here's my first page trying to use all the tips and all the stuffs! Had fun :) :) Thanks everyone!!

[​IMG]

19. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@Kate W Just saw this thread & I thought I'd jump in. Your page in the above post is lovely.

Personally, I'm also cluster-challenged and template-challenged. Actually, I'm also photo-challenged. Give me an art journal page, and I can add "stuff" with flourish. It is interesting because when I started digital scrapbooking in 2006, my layouts were exclusively photo-driven (vintage pics). It has to be a mental thing for me, since I'm usually of the clutter type.

I've been having a blast watching Cheryl's videos. She amazes me with her "stuff" on photo-centered layouts/templates. I've been trying to improve my skills on photo layouts, but my efforts just don't come out the same way. I end up second-guessing myself on what looks good where. It is a definite talent, for sure. :-)

Kate W likes this.