I did the DNA thing on ancestry.com....anyone else?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by StarryEyedDesigns, May 4, 2016.

1. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Exactly this. ROFL. I want to, but the hubs is totally a conspiracy theorist and he's a I.T. geek so yeah, I don't think it will happen anytime soon. ROFL

bestcee likes this.
  2. pbrooks

pbrooks I need a realtor!

I've though of doing it. I would prefer if my husband or son did it, but they have no interest at all.

3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

This made me throw my head back laughing! :D
    And you've ruined it by telling us your plan! Now we're all accessories! :backing

AllisonPennington and bestcee like this.
  4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Laura, I know wha they're doing with all of it and it's all out in Utah. But at my age, I'm not worried.I hope...

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

In Utah? Sweet! Now I can frame someone else ;)

6. yzerbear19

yzerbear19 CT - Krista Sahlin

I rather do the actual research on how my ancestors were/are than doing the DNA test. I know from tracing my tree that I have a lot of English and German ancestors. The results of the DNA are interesting, but I think the stories you find out about your ancestors are more interesting and you can't get that through DNA. It's nice if you can tell me I'm 50% English, but I would want to know who those people are. I guess I'm more into stories than numbers.

Tree City likes this.
  7. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

yes!! me too...I loved reading the census, and then finding bits of their lives as I read more and more...a real life mystery unfolds and it is your relatives..pretty cool!

MrsPeel likes this.
  8. StarryEyedDesigns

StarryEyedDesigns My goal, is to make a goal

I've been doing my tree too, and well, it's hard for my family. Mom and Dad's side. Their ancestors didn't do diddly squat, but have kids. Kept horrible records, no pictures, etc. I've gotten quite far on my mom's side, and the further I go, the harder it is getting because of such horrible record keeping :(

9. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

ROTFL

I LOVE you!!!!! LOL

I didn't, but mainly because I don;t have the money (Itr came up as costing almost £100 to me?) I do know my origins though, all the families came running away from Syria into the USA and South America, my Grandparents, all 4 were born in Syria, so my DNA would come probably 90% Middle East Jewish mixed with Muslim and Roman Catholic LOL

now Bart needs to feel the LOVE!!!!!!

[​IMG]

10. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

11. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I think that's the case for many families. For me, my familyl doesn't know much more than "we came from ___ country. IDK when exactly we got here, but I can tell you that your great-uncle changed the spelling of his last name because a man down the street had the same name and their mail kept getting mixed up." (This is NOT a joke: this is the most info I have... and I only got it after I asked "Why can't I find more info on the _____ side of the family?")

12. yzerbear19

yzerbear19 CT - Krista Sahlin

With genealogy you just have to be persistent. It can take a long time to break down some brick walls. And it takes a little bit of luck at the right time to find the right record. Don't give up! It may seem like there isn't a lot of information, but there is. You just have to look in different places and sometimes get creative. And go beyond Ancestry and Family Search. I was able to find the graves of my 3x great grandmother and great grand aunt by calling a funeral home in the area to get in contact with the person in charge of the cemetery because we couldn't find a phone number anywhere for the cemetery. I didn't know a lot about my Dad's paternal side but have actually found out quite a bit from a distant cousin in New Zealand who reached out to me. So you just never know where you will get the answers you seek. I think a lot of people think it will be easy peasy because that is the way the Ancestry commercials make it look, but it's a lot of work and requires a lot of persistence and patience. More and more records are being imaginized. So just keep plugging away at it.

I didn't know much about my great-grandma on my Dad's side other than that her name was Frieda. I scrapped about my journey to discovering her story

here:
    [​IMG]

and here:
    [​IMG]

So even if all you know is one name, if you keep working on it you might be able to unravel the mystery. That's what I love about genealogy.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    norton94, klee73010 and Tree City like this.
  13. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

We have traced our genealogy quite a bit, but I am so fascinated and interested in the DNA testing. After having seen (quite a lot of) episodes of Finding Your Roots I've seen how the DNA aspect really can enhance the process and brings more detail to light in some circumstances. So I look forward to getting results one day!

(Though there is a part of me that is a little unsure about the data and it's security too.)

14. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

we wonder where Bart's family came from...... :giggle

[​IMG]

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  15. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Kissing Bart again... he may be related to my froggy:
    [​IMG]

MrsPeel likes this.
  16. momofthehour

momofthehour New Member

I learned that it's because of the maternal/paternal thing. You and your siblings receive a different mix from your parents.

I did my brother's.

Karen and StarryEyedDesigns like this.
  17. StarryEyedDesigns

StarryEyedDesigns My goal, is to make a goal

I told my sister, if she'll do it, I would pay for hers. We have the same parents (supposedly). It's so weird, because my sister and I are complete opposites. We don't even look like sisters.

18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I guess that makes sense. :nod

19. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

20. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured