Today is Day One...

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by rchansen, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Shari

Shari Well-Known Member

I haven't been around much the past few weeks but on the odd occasion I do pop in the only alerts I have are for this get healthy thread. Hmmmm maybe I need to take the hint. haha
    Actually I am starting back up with the competition that helped me lose 50 pounds last summer. I'm hoping to lose another 50, since I've gained back 25 since I stopped the program. I don't know why staying healthy has to be such a challenge for so many of us. It is exhausting just thinking about starting back up with the routine of it all tomorrow but I need to keep going.

2. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I still pay the extra cost of small bags because of this.

3. carilyne

I will be dreaming of these. Not sure I could do a can yet. Resist a whole can that is.

pbrooks likes this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

we took the can and separated them out in 28 nuts. in little snack size bags. Perfect! I have that bag on my desk. I used to take the whole 28 and put in hand and dump into mouth and chew...
    now I take out 3-4 at a time, and enjoy them..there is a whole lotta flavour in them!

pbrooks likes this.
  5. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

Day three and still going...

bestcee likes this.
  6. AnneofAlamo

yeah! this is the hump! YOU are and can do this!! Cheering you on!!!

7. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I saw something on FB today that was basically.... once you stop, it's sooooo much harder to start back up. For me, that means just get in the habit and keep doing it, rather than stopping. Because knowing it's harder to stop/restart is sooooo discouraging!
    Good luck on your "first day back" :fairydance

8. AnneofAlamo

oh dear! yes! experiencing that! forcing myself to go and walk, then run. I used to do almost 5 miles a day and body pump for an hour! yikes! but I WILL do this!

klee73010 likes this.
  9. rchansen

Could not agree more!! Last summer I did two months of bootcamp and I did the 21 Day Fix three times. I lost 23 pounds. I was working out six days a week (skipped yoga day!!) and making really good food choices. And then the kids went back to school. I thought it would be easy to maintain my schedule but it meant getting up earlier and it just wasn't working. Then we started basketball season and late dinners or eating at the concession stand. All of a sudden it had been months since my last workout and I have gained back almost all the weight. I tried numerous times to start again but I'd do two days, quit. Three days, quit. Two days, quit. I'm three days in and have NO intentions of quitting. I am doing this!!

bestcee and klee73010 like this.
  10. AnneofAlamo

okay, ran again today...legs are sore, but I threw in some mad lunges at the top of the hill! I am feeling the burn so so feeling it today!
    but
    my pants are falling off my butt!
    good timeS!
    gonna wait for another month before hitting the store for new capris!

klee73010 and bestcee like this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm not sure what your normal way is? If I'm staring at the veggies, and feeling this way, I do 1 of 2 things:
    1. Roast them. Almost every veggie is better roaster. (I don't know about cauliflower, because I refuse to eat it.)
    2. Stir Fry. Toss them into a pan, add a little soy, brown sugar, and hosin. The combo depends on the type of veggies. Some have a sweetness so I don't need any sugar, but some need that 1 tbsp. Especially if they are starting to turn. When they are crisp, I toss a teaspoon of sesame oil on the whole thing. Add some cubed chicken if you want.

12. carilyne

my indulgence day only I indulged most than I intended. Hoping that it doesn't hurt too much, but back on the wagon tomorrrow.

13. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

whatever normal for whatever veggie. Carrots - if I know they've been sitting in my fridge, and I'm not sure how long, and I won't peel and eat them... rather than shredding them and putting them into some ground meat or something, I just throw them out. Celery - same thing. They are starting to brown. Rather than cutting off brown parts and eating with a dressing or nut-butter-of-choice, I stare at them... then instead of slicing and throwing into whatever meal we're having, i just throw them out.
    Avocado getting mushy? rather than slice them up and put them on my eggs, I just throw them out. blah...
    We are just really bad about using them, or finding ways to use them. I typically buy them for a specific recipe, and try not to buy too much more than the recipe calls for, knowing we won't do anything with them.

14. bestcee

@klee73010 Carrots turning, and celery turning become chicken mulligatawny soup at my house! And avocados my husband turns into guacamole. I totally know what you mean by trying not to overbuy from a recipe.

15. AnneofAlamo

overbuying vegis was a huge expense for me too! we live in an area that no vegis grow...yep hot dry desert with high alkaline water...so EVERything is trucked in.
    when I see new and fresh lettuces, I grabbed them... but meal planning, I mean PLANning!
    from breakfast lunch and dinner are so important, especially when beginning to a change in your diet. Getting those habits established.
    I know that for the next 5 days, a big salad with our dinner is gonna happen! Day 5 I clean out the yucky parts...and put in ziplock bags with a paper towel for absorption.
    Soups happen! yep yep yep! and I also make omelets with the little leftovers - spinach, peppers, toms, and have been known to have green beans show up in them! lol
    Getting fat to me was because I got lazy, and took the easy way. I want to live healthy and long...and in cute clothes! lol

16. rchansen

Five days down. Still keeping up with exercise and better food choices. And I'm feeling awesome. Keep it up, girls!!

bestcee likes this.
  17. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Courney,

Please share your roasted veggies recipe. Ive got some peppers, onions, and mushrooms that i want to try roasted. TIA

18. AnneofAlamo

when all else fails, put the vegis on a metal skewer and BBQ them! ♥

enjoyyourpix and bestcee like this.
  19. bestcee

I don't really have a recipe. Part of my process depends on what I plan on doing with the veggies, and what I'll serve them with. I don't usually roast mushrooms, I tend to just skillet cook them, so I can't help with that! And I would probably take your peppers, onions, and mushrooms, toss them in a skillet and have philly steak sandwiches. Yum! I think I need that for dinner this week.

All veggies, I chop or slice to about the same size, and toss in a little bit of oil. I'll add some rosemary or thyme or just salt and pepper. Then throw them on a sheet pan and in the oven at 450. I check on them at 10 minutes, and stir them around; that gives me an idea of how much longer. Usually most of them are around 20-30 minutes, just depends on how much bite you want them to have, and how big the pieces are, and if it's a soft veggie or hard. Onions and peppers are about 20 minutes or so.

I did watch America's Test Kitchen last night, and they roasted mushrooms. They brined them in salt water first for 10 minutes, then roasted them.

keepscrappin likes this.
  20. Shari

Shari Well-Known Member

I roast mushrooms all the time with my veggies. I just keep them whole because they are so much softer than a carrot or piece of cauliflower.

keepscrappin and bestcee like this.