Best Paper for Hybrid Elements

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by jsutterfield4, Jan 20, 2016.

1. jsutterfield4

jsutterfield4 Member

A question for you ladies,
    I print a lot of journal cards on matte presentation paper and get beautiful results. I have tried printing some "elements" out on the same matte presentation paper and then cutting with my silhouette, however they are super flimsy and curl up. Printing on cardstock really dulls the color, so what type of paper do y'all use for print & cut elements?

2. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I pretty much use matte presentation paper for everything but my photos. What cutting mat are you using with the silhouette? I switched to the light tack with mine and that has helped me a lot with curl up and rips. I always had the problem of ripping everything that I cut with the regular mat trying to get it off.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I didn't know there was such a thing as a light tack mat. I'm totally getting one! I like the one I have too for certain things that need to be held down well, but when I do tiny stuff a light tack would be perfect!

4. WendyBird

WendyBird Active Member

Presentation Paper will get you the best print results, but if you want it to be sturdier, how about cutting the same shape out of card stock (don't print) and layer/glue the presentation paper on top of it? You can also make faux chipboard elements by using the same technique and layering a stack of cardstock.

This tutorial shows doing it with actual chipboard, but same concept.
    http://blog.silhouetteamerica.com/2014/02/make-your-own-chipboard-embellishments

5. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Yes. The only downside I have found to it is that it doesn't seem to last as long. I am having to replace more often. I really have a love/hate relationship with the silhouette!

Lhmcgrady, Karen and enjoyyourpix like this.
  6. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

I have the original Craft Robo and I use repositionable spray glue to re-glue my mats (3m) which seems to work fine.

DixieDoesPSP and gracielou like this.
  7. jsutterfield4

jsutterfield4 Member

@WendyBird this is a great idea! I will have to try this next time. Thank you!

8. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

I use presentation paper for some things. Back in the day when hybrid was just first becoming a "thing" that was what everyone recommended. I tell you what though, I've stopped using it for most of my projects. Must my projects I do use cardstock for. If you find a "bright white" cardstock of good quality it really doesn't dull the colors. A lot of people swear by the Neenah brand. I use a different one that was recommended to me by silhouette designer. It is one you can pick up at Walmart in bulk.

DixieDoesPSP and enjoyyourpix like this.
  9. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

This sounds brilliant. I'll have to see if I can get that here.

10. jsutterfield4

jsutterfield4 Member

@mrspotts do you know what the brand of the Walmart cardstock is? I may run by and pick some up to test it out.

11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Hmm. I wonder if my printer would pull the cardstock through. It gets picky sometimes! I'll have to check it out!

12. DixieDoesPSP

DixieDoesPSP Well-Known Member

This is a great idea! I never would have thunk it. Wow

13. DixieDoesPSP

DixieDoesPSP Well-Known Member

@bestcee this is my new problem! I went out and bought a team of nice card stock and now that I have my Silhouette fixed my printer won't pull my card stock through. Geezzz I can't win for losing LOL

14. mrspotts

@jsutterfield4 the brand I use is Georgia Pacific. If I remember right it goes under two different brand names. That is the one at my walmart. Hope that helps!

DixieDoesPSP likes this.
  15. mrspotts

Well, that is just plain awful! I just got a new printer set up today and if it doesn't pull my cardstock through I may be quite cross!

16. scrappycath

scrappycath Active Member

Red River Paper has some great papers for printing to. They take the inks well and colors are as they should be. They have a linen finish paper that is just awesome for getting some texture to your paper, but still allowing you to print photos/papers/elements from your digi stash. And they are just the right thickness to give you a sturdy hybrid/project base yet run through an inkjet printer with ease.

mrspotts and WendyBird like this.
  17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Did it pull through?

18. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

Sometimes cutting a .5" strip of sticker paper (I save all my edges for this) and folding it over the end of your paper that feeds into the printer fixes that problem and gives it something to grip. Works on transparent paper, too.

Cath_ likes this.
  19. mrspotts

I actually haven't tried my cardstock yet. I did use some heavy presentation paper and that pulled through just fine. I'm going to be doing some cardstock later this week, I'll let you know how that goes.

20. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Try Epson Double Side Presentation paper - matte. That is what the hybrid queen @WendyBird uses on all of her projects.