Lunch ideas?

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by bestcee, Jan 2, 2016.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I am horrible at eating lunch. I tend to skip it, and then find myself starving at 3pm, and eating badly which throws off dinner.

Yesterday lunch was apples, cheese cubes, and pretzels. A much better snack than lunch!

So, what do you have for lunch?

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

what is this thing you call lunch?

3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I need to work on this too! I have a tendency to not decide on anything, skip it and justify bad snacking as ok since I didn't have lunch :-/

4. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Apparently, none of us have good lunch ideas :giggle. Mine usually consists of leftovers from dinner the night before (b/c if we have leftovers it's only enough for 1 other small meal typically), or a sandwich. When I'm working, I usually swing through somewhere like Subway, just to get out of the office.

Sorry. No help. BUT, I do have a bunch of great ideas pinned on Pinterest. Hehe...

5. tkradtke

That's typical for us too... but my daughter LOVES leftovers, so the one small meal usually ends up in her lunchbox.

6. ~Mary

~Mary Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth

Today and many days it is Skippy Dark Chocolate Natural Peanut Butter rolled up into a tortilla. Fast, easy, yummy. It's also probably the reason I've put on poundage...

7. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

:giggle Dark Chocolate PB... be still my heart.

~Mary likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I usually have a sandwich or leftovers or some frozen item that's quick to prepare. I love having fruit, cheese and crackers for lunch. My eating has been totally off since my sleep schedule is off. I had breakfast for lunch today, um because that's when I woke up. LOL

9. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

another person in the "skip camp" :( I have leftovers, or I skip, or I snack. I absolutely LOVE the idea of the mason jar salads... but have never actually done them. and be real.... the idea of one small mason jar being all I get for lunch makes my eyes o_O. Portion control is another habit I need....
    One of my favorite "snacks" that I could actually turn healthy REALLY easy is the lunchables. I don't pay for the processed ones in a pack though. Instead, I opt for an entire sleeve of ritz crackers with cheese slices and lunchmeat slices. (obviously, portion control, and adding more fruit/veggies in there would be the best option LOL)

10. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I eat so badly most of the time and anything between breakfast and dinner is usually a lost cause if I am at home

11. Shari

Shari Well-Known Member

I like to oven roast a bunch of veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, onions, etc.) and then I have them to munch on for a couple of days. So roasted veggies and a grilled chicken breast or teriyaki chicken thigh because they taste much better and have a sweetness that curbs me sweet cravings. Or a green salad with cut up roasted chicken strips or low fat string cheese. I have to remember to always add a protein or I don't get enough. I have to avoid most bread products, not because of allergies or anything but because during my weight loss journey I have discovered that if I eat even one piece of bread or a tortilla I do not lose weight as fast so I tend to try to avoid those foods. Vegetables and protein.
    Of course I suggest all this as someone who has totally tanked all her healthy living habits she has developed over the past five months. I really need to get back on track!

jenevang likes this.
  12. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I'm much like you Shari, I have to have protein otherwise I just don't last and for me too as soon as I eat bread, pasta & potatoes which I love I gain weight

13. bestcee

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with lunch!

It's this meal that some people have, but apparently not scrappers! :giggle

Confession: I posted this at 1:15 pm. When I was conveniently eating a very, very late breakfast of potatoes and eggs.

Well, I may have to check out Pinterest. Any that look the best to you?

I'm going to pretend you didn't mention that. :lalala

Confession #2: I don't have a microwave. So frozen stuff is hard. Ask the frozen burritos just taking up space in my freezer after I worked hard to make them!

I love the idea of mason jar salads, but vegetables are so out of season where I am! I need spring and summer to come back. Maybe we'll have to convince each other to try it out?

Anything between sleep and dinner can be a lost cause here! You are doing better than me with remembering breakfast!

I like to saute mushrooms and feed the broccoli and cauliflower to my kid. :lol Maybe I should try roasting them.

14. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I'm Dutch, and we are known for our boring breakfasts and lunches: slices of bread with cheese/meat. It's boring but also good to have this as a standard because it means I don't have much problems with these meals.

I always start the day with fruit quark.
    For lunch I either have two slices of bread with cheese if I'm working or fruit quark if I'm at home.

My problems are never the meals, but all the snacks in between or at night. I'm kinda happy that school starts Monday because it means I'm back into my daily structure and I don't snack during the day. But when I'm at home, I'm gone. I'm going to make it a habit this new year to bring fruit for when I travel home after a workday so I don't come home and immediately have to look for snacks.

15. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Haha. I skip breakfast too a lot of the time.

And yes. I need to try them for sure. I have a pinterest board for lunches. I'll try to get that linked up today, and see if anything looks super yummy.

As for no microwave /frozen burritos: thaw them out overnight, then bake them in the oven. I've heard that is a way to do it.

16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@bestcee No microwave?!? How do you survive? bwahahahaha

bestcee likes this.
  17. bestcee

I do have an oven and stove! ;) I only miss it when I'm melting butter for popcorn.

What's quark?

It totally does. But I never plan ahead far enough to thaw them out. I can cook them from frozen in the oven, it just takes longer.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  18. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

A kind of dairy, it sits in between yogurt and really fresh cheese.
    [​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  19. tkradtke

sushimommy likes this.
  20. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I'm not sure how easy quark is to find in the US. I'd never heard of it until I moved to Europe, but I have a friend in the US who buys it at a Russian import grocery. I think the Russian kind is firmer, more like cottage cheese, though.

enjoyyourpix likes this.