Dragging elements onto a layout in PSE13?

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by kraftkris, Oct 30, 2015.

1. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

This doesn't work for me in PSE 11 . . . no matter what I do, the element always goes to the center of the canvas. I'm wondering how you get this to work! LOL

2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

This doesn't work for me in pse 12. Fyi. Your method of dragging from photo bin to my layout does place it in layer order as you suggested, but the size is still as big as the entire canvas. I can, as someone suggested, drag from one tab into my working project tab and get the designer-sized element, but lose the file name. I haven't decided if it's worth it yet, because sometimes I need the file names, and sometimes the method of getting from the element tab to my project tab takes longer than resizing it from the photo bin would have. Lol!

Oh our different programs with our different quirks!!! Haha!

3. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I have PSE 8 and have not felt a need to upgrade

4. kraftkris

kraftkris Member

Now that I've used the tip more often - it doesn't work consistently - and I cannot figure out why! It's frustrating!

5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

OK ~ glad to know it's not just me! LOL It's a computer program, so why does it act like a teenager, working sometimes and not others? Ha!

6. ChristineElizabeth

ChristineElizabeth New Member

I've never been able to drag elements onto a layout :(

7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have PSE13 and until I upgraded from 11, I never had the problem of the element going onto the wrong spot/layer. Now I'm just used to it :( I've tried selecting the layer/layer icon spot before dragging up from the Photo Bin but as others said, it's sporadic. I too always drag UP from the bin so I can have the name of the item for credits. I have a script that makes my list for me and that's a godsend. Fortunately, my items never enlarge to 12x12 but they have always gone into the center. That's another reason I want the name of the element on its layer!

8. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I would love to hear more about the "script" that makes your list for you

9. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

It's probably the Supply Tracker available here for free. It takes the names of each layer and puts them in a textbox so you can copy paste them into your credits. You can see such a list on my LO here.

I also use Anna Forrest's credit tracker. Not free, but it doesn't rely on layer names and it can link up to the actual products. You can see what it does on the same LO I linked above. I use both so you can see which layers go to what while also not making people guess what the abbreviations are on the filenames.

klee73010 likes this.
  10. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I have just upgraded to PSE14 and LOVE that I can create my own preset page sizes that can then be saved for use later. I frequently create ATC's so I now have a custom 3.5x2.5 page and another 2.5x3.5 page. Worth the price of admission in my estimation.

bestcee likes this.
  11. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Woo hok someone whose pse is older than mine! Have have 6

12. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I use supply tracker and I like it very much

13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Oh! I'll have to check that out!

14. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

I have created a range of size 'templates' that are saved to my Desktop............ when I want to use a specific one I just open it and give it a new name........... leaving my 'template' blank :) (they are saved as PSD files btw.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    lorryfach likes this.
  15. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I had 4 before 12. Lol. And I really want to try that supply tracker thing. Thanks for sharing that @lorryfach because I hadn't seen it before!

lorryfach likes this.
  16. familyhistoryscrapper

familyhistoryscrapper Once upon a time there was this dragon ...

Here's what I discovered about dragging from the photo bin in PSE 13. NEVER had an issue with the layer going 'anywhere' until I started using 13. The BEST method I have found is when I drag something up from the photo bin I TRY and make sure when I DROP it that I am 'over' the item I want it to be (for instance if I want it for a photo square I make sure I let go while I'm hovering over the photo square). It still goes to the center and I have to move it, but MOST of the time with this method it actually does land above the layer I want it above or at least MUCH closer than if I just randomly let go with my mouse. Hope this makes sense as I was SO frustrated when I dragged something up and it just landed in between random layers.