Do You Hate the Sound of Chewing

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by scrapsandsass, Sep 29, 2015.

1. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I love my husband. I truly do. But there are more days than not when I wish I could hide away when he's eating. The sound drives me nuts, and makes me want to punch him. Same with my daughter's boyfriend. Not only does he chew/smack loudly, but his jaw clicks and he makes a humming noise while he eats just to add to the experience. :tantrum

I know there is a term for how the problem of being annoyed by it. Misophonia. My mom and daughter both have the same issue.

But then there is this cute guy. His chewing... doesn't bother me a bit. :giggle

https://youtu.be/cILZ_cB3_so

What about you? Do you have the same annoyance with chewing, tapping, noisy breathing, etc?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Yes. I am the same way and I got it from my Mom. Had no idea there was a name for it - my family will get a big kick out of that.

3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Yes, yes, yes! Chewing/smacking drives me insane!

4. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

YES! Please make it stop! hahaha - drives me insane. Like a cow chewing cud. ugh

5. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I've been trying to figure out how to teach my daughter to stop. (She's 3.) But it is part of having good manners. Adults that do it almost instantly lose my respect, if only for a short time. Kids bother me, but not as bad. I'm sure it's really harsh and judgemental of me....

6. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

Oh my goodness, sign me up for Misophonia Anonymous--It drives me crazy!!!!!!

7. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

LOL well..... I'm told by Sarita that sometimes I am very noisy when I eat.... but that has to do with being old and toothless

:giggle

now that thing..... us sooooo cute!!!!!!! but isn't his fur suppose to stab you? I never seen a porcupine in the flesh....isw that the actual animal talking? or is it someone making the video with some sound?

8. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

So I had an aunt who was actually rude to people chewing gum. So I tried to learn to tune it out. But with a hubby home who eats sunflower seeds forever. It drives me crazy.
    There is also another term for people who are more sensitive to things -- Highly Sensitive Person http://hsperson.com/ It has been really eye-opening how many areas of your life it shows up.

9. Kate W

Kate W And justice for all ...

Chewing doesn't bother me too much, maybe no-one in my family is noisy enough! I hate sniffing, though. It drives me insane, so I know how you feel! I am constantly passing people tissues in my house and teling them to blow their nose, and not just DS either! LOL

But I imagine sniffing probably drives you guys nuts, too :giggle

10. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

There are plenty of things I am annoyed by, but sounds are not usually one. I'm not even bothered by the classic nails-on-a-chalkboard sound. I grew up near an airport and it never even occurred to me that it "should" be annoying to hear every plane take off all day long. I just don't care about sounds. I might care that they're interrupting something I'm doing, but it doesn't really matter WHAT the sound is, you know? Just the effect.

But ask me about smells, or touch (like putting tags in clothes -_-)....

11. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Chewing isn't that annoying, just rude. No one in our house is allowed to slurp their soup. Drives my husband crazy. What I cannot stand is when someone cracks their knuckles! That noise sickens me. Sounds painful and gross.

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Nope. Doesn't really bother me, but maybe that means I'm the noisy eater? :giggle

13. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Doesn't really bother me... unless it is that loud that I notice it! LOL! That would have to be loud! I get annoyed by people who hold their knives and forks the wrong way annoy me. I want to correct them, but keep my mouth shut! (This is because of my great grandfather, and grandfather, lol).

14. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

Chewing is not the worst for me-- I HATE gum popping! And now that two of my three kids are in braces, everything is loud- It seems like the braces amplify the noises and also make them more messy!

15. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Ugh. Of course.
    I'm highly sensitive for sounds and touch. Well, I'm a HIghly Sensitive Person as a matter of fact. I still manage to properly function around chewing people though. If you start sweeping the pavement, I'm gone.

16. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Yes! I swear my husband has amplifiers hidden in his cheeks. He's eating with good manners, but he's just LOUD. And the problem has become worse since I had to get hearing aids. Now I hear EVERYTHING anyone is eating if they're within 7 feet of me. So, I shut them off. Ha!

17. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

this.
    smells can drive me insane.... we have a lot of Ethiopians and some other cultures that I still haven't managed to guess where they come from, very new people, I think they are not permanent tenants, but they cook in their balconies with open fire stoves... (which is dangerous, to put it mildly) and the smells aren't appetizing....
    I am very used to middle east cuisine as my parents are from Syria, but what these people are cooking isn't anything I have smelled before and not nice... :(

the labels....I cut them all of, can't stand it rubbing in my neck, but then I regret it when I don't know how to wash clothes LOL

18. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I cut the labels off everything too. I'm so happy they are now printing them right on the fabric. Of course that washes off after a few washes, but by then I probably already know how to care for whatever the item is, or didn't anyway.

19. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

If we're talking smells... I work at an ice rink. Hockey players can't wash their gear (it's cheaper to purchase new equipment than have them cleaned). Yes. Months, and perhaps years, of body odor and sweat. You literally don't breathe through your nose when they walk past. :faint2

They do have sprays that help with the situation, but only temporarily.

And to be fair, figure skater's feet don't smell any better...

20. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

Can. not. stand. it.