Layouts to Photobook in 10 steps!

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Pallavi01, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Pallavi01

Pallavi01 You have that sharp, useless look about you

When one of my dear digi scrap friends asked me about my process for organising my pages into a photobook, it got me thinking... Maybe there are some other folks who could also benefit from my (does not overlook anything) process:yup. I make my books on shutterfly. But these steps should be similar if you are using any other photobook website. Therefore, here goes.... (Get ready for lots of images!)

1. The first thing I do is organise my pages into a list. I make a list for the pages with dates and then another for the pages without dates. Within those with dates, I also note down pages that have dates in mmddyy format and those that only have mmyy format.

2. Organise this list chronologically. At this stage, also give a once over to your non date pages and see colour scheme-wise, which date pages they best go with.

3. Visualise your book on paper. This step takes a little bit of time but after this its a cakewalk. On a paper, draw out double pages, and fill in names of layouts that go there. Decide which page goes where. I start with mmddyy pages as they are easiest to place. Then I fill in mmyy pages and then finally I fit in my non date pages. Here's where the hard work you did in step#2 comes in handy. I like to do this on paper. You can also do this on excel if you prefer. Mine looks something like this....

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]​

4. Once you've got this, the next step is totally optional. I like to add my pages as double page spreads in shutterfly. Therefore, I first make double page spreads of all my layouts. Just open up a new 7200px by 3600px photoshop document. Open up final psd versions of both your left side and right side layouts. Now just drag each layout in the new document and place appropriately. Then save as jpeg as you usually save your layouts for print. Repeat this for all the layouts.

However, this is optional. I prefer it like this. You can also simply drag your single page layouts into the photobook website software, if you prefer that.

5. You are done with the pre-work now. (yayy!) We now start the actual photobook process! Go to shutterfly.com (or any other website), sign in and then go to my pictures on top right. Create a new album here and upload all your jpegs for the book, in this new album.

6. Once all the pictures are in the album, select a spread you just uploaded, click edit, click on apply effect and once you are in the effect page, select no effect AND check the box that reads DON'T apply automatic corrections! VERY IMPORTANT for us scrapbookers!!

[​IMG]

7. Next I go to the photobook tab on top, choose custom path, and then choose the size. My books are all 12x12 therefore thats generally my selection.

This will get us to the photo book styles menu. Here, select All Styles and then look for the digiscrap style.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]​

Choose the digiscrap style and then select your cover preference. Mine is generally hard cover. Once you have selected your preference, click on 'select this photo book'.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]​

8. Then, you will be taken to the photobook workspace. Here, first thing you do is click on add photos. Select the new album you created with all your layouts and add them all in.

Then they have another screen where they ask whether we want to place photos ourselves or not. I select the option that allows me full control which means I place photos myself.

Once all your pages are added in the photo area. Select this double page spread from layout options. (Mine are all double page spreads as I explained in step#4. Therefore this works best for me. Play around with the software to check if something else works better for you)

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]​

Now, just drag your required layouts in the work area. After you get it in the work area, DO NOT forget to double click the picture and drag the selection box. Shutterfly has an automatic selection box, the default selection is only a portion of your layout. You want it to select your entire layout. Therefore this step is CRITICAL.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]​

Repeat this for all your layouts - add the photo and resize the bounding box.

9. Then we come to the covers. I do this last. Shutterfly has some great direction for cover and spine here - https://www.shutterfly.com/digitalscrapbook/books/specs.jsp

I use the templates provided by Shutterfly and build from there. I do have to caution you about the spine though. I have to rework that a few times to get it to look right.

10. Finally....Preview, Order, wait impatiently for your beautiful photobook to arrive and scream as loud as you can when you get it!! :)

2. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Thanks Pallavi.

I do not usually list or draw out my layouts like you shoe above, but I see it's a real time saver. Great tips all.

3. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

This is awesome. I'm an individual page printer b/c I have a hard time committing to a book. Planning it out is a GREAT idea. Thanks for the tutorial!

4. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Me too - I print pages so I don't have to scrap chronologically. But, I might do a book sometime for a specific themed project, like a vacation. So, thanks so much for the tutorial. Very helpful!!

5. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

I am also a single page printer for the same reason as Ashley, I want the flexibility to scrap out of order, but I bet there is a huge audience here at the Pad who will eat this up, thanks for sharing!

6. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Do you have a lot of trouble with bleed? The first book I made, lots of things that were on the edges got cut off. The second book I made, I adjusted my page size to compensate for the bleed. I usually print 8x8 so I think I saved my pages as 7.75 and then uploaded. It was better but is there an easier way to do this? It's been about two years since I ordered a book, not sure if it is different now.

7. RHERR308

RHERR308 New Member

WendyZine from Scrapbook Graphics shop has PS actions to add bleed to you pages before sending to a commercial print company. She has a generic action and she also sells actions specific to Shutterfly photo books because they're page dimensions are not true to size. For example their 12x12 book is really 11.75x11.75. I just completed my 2014 family album which I am sending to Blurb.com for printing. Her bleed action was invaluable.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  8. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I will have to check them out, thanks

9. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Tons of tips Pallavi, I will be bookmarking this thread to use hopefully really really soon!

10. Pallavi01

Hi Danica! So good to see you here! Bleed has always been a problem I would say. My first book was also bad with lots of things getting cut off. I did find a workaround but I still make sure that I do not place any important design element or journaling ...very close to the edge.

Now for the workaround...if you follow the step #6 , you will be taken to the edit picture area. One option there is to add borders. I generally add a .2 white border and that makes things better.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Lots of great information here!

I was just throwing together a Shutterfly book on Thursday and I think they are making it harder and harder to do an easy book. I hate the fact that even though we pick "Digiscrap" it doesn't default to all full page photos and that it thinks we don't want to show our whole picture. That auto crop is so dumb! I also hate that the default is for "auto" color correction too! So much work to turn all that off on each page when we used to be able to just drag and drop our finished pages and be done!

12. Pallavi01

I totally agree Karen! But I have tried a number of different sites now and sadly...no one compares to shutterfly in quality of the printed book. Therefore I just stick with it.

I think the only one I want to try is Blurb because I have heard great things about the blurb quality ... But in London they weren't doing 12x12 so never got a chance to try it.

Hope someone from shutterfly gets our feedback :)

13. Shivani

Shivani I live in an anemonemone. An amnemonemomne.

Great tutorial Pallavi!Although I haven't had the chance to try Shutterfly, this looks like a great ready reckoner for anyone who might want to use them and I know lot of us here at Lilypad do....I have used albelli here in London and I always found the process quite simple. Don't think it does auto crop, auto correction on anything else - basic but good quality layflat books, I'd say.

Re the process, it is quite similar to mine ;) I do tend to visualise the book on paper first. It is hard work writing down all 120 pages but well worth it. I also try and move around generic pages which can basically go anywhere in the book's sequence to get a more coordinate look and feel :) But all in all I think it s great feeling to get these printed, even thought the books tend to be quite expensive, it doesn't feel complete to me until I can touch and feel it :)))

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure to come back to it now that I'm finishing book NO 5 :)