#thedress

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Mar 5, 2015.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

By now, everyone has seen THE dress, right? What color did you see? I saw white and gold. I really can't see blue and black...but...this brings up an excellent discussion about white balance and how important it is to be able to "see" color properly. What settings do you use for WB? I think most DSLRs are pretty good on auto. I do find that in the winter, I need to manually set my Kelvin settings. Confession....I just eyeball it and don't use a 18% gray card. ;)

2. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I keep mine on auto. I just haven't had the time to truly dig into all of it and learn it proper. Plus, 99% of my photos are literally "grab the camera and snap it before they move" so it's pretty hard to not have everything on some form of auto most of the time.

and I still can't see blue and black in that photo. Just white and gold. Although the white does have a bluish cast to it.

3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I saw white and gold during the day and thereafter I saw black and blue while my husband has continued to see white and gold throughout.

4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

saw white and gold but when I scrolled down and then slowly scrolled back up I saw blue and black.

5. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I use Kelvin. Even wrong Kelvin corrects easier than wrong AWB for some reason.

I saw the dress as white and gold for a very long time, but once I started playing with it in PS in strong daylight it went to blue and black. Then I had a hard time unseeing it that way.

6. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

I saw white and gold at first and after seeing all the articles about it, I now see periwinkle and copper/brown. I've never been able to see the royal blue and black though. She was on the Ellen show though, and wore the dress on the show and it's definitely royal blue and black. The geek in me was totally fascinated by the whole debate.

7. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

I saw the white/gold as well, but could see how the white had a slight purple/blue hue to it.

Do you have standard Kelvin settings that you use? I tend to go back and forth between Kelvin and Auto.

8. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I don't have a standard setting, but bump it warmer in the winter...but again, I just eye it.

9. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I saw white and gold at first, and then scrolled back later and saw blue and black! The whole thing is just very interesting!

As for WB, I must confess that though I think of myself as a fairly good photographer and always use manual exposure, I have not even messed with WB at all. I don't even know how. I think its about time to figure it out because I'm always having to correct in PS.

10. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I have used Kelvin for about 2 years now. I always have to do a little tweaking in Lightroom because I eye my kelvin with my live view feature but it's usually pretty close and it at least keeps my white balance consistent in my shots whereas auto usually gives me inconsistencies.

I have a baLens cap and an expo disk but I have never found them to be useful with my type shooting. Maybe if I did studio or portraiture it would come in handy.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  11. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

I saw the white and gold too, but I noticed that there are other pictures of it where I agree with the people that said black and blue. Interestingly enough, my SIL who saw black and blue, saw black and blue on both photos. It's the strangest thing!

I use auto too, but I never claimed to be a photographer, lol, only a grandma who likes to take a lot of photos.

12. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Definitely blue and black. It's faded, but definitely blue and black.

I don't have a dSLR and I don't know what Kelvin settings are. My camera has some icons under white balance and when I'm indoors, I usually slide all the way to the right (bluer) side because auto ends up too yellow. Our walls are yellow and the lighting sucks. Outdoors auto seems to do pretty good most of the time. If it's really cloudy, I may adjust it a bit if I'm not in a hurry to snap.

13. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I always saw white & gold... anyway on my DSLR I keep it on auto wb

14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I see both. Depends on device, lighting, and how I see it on the screen - like a tilt or straight on. First saw black and blue, and thought people were weird for seeing different colors. Then I was freaked out when I saw it change.

My camera is auto. I'm hoping to take a class this summer to learn all the ins and outs of my camera.

15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My camera doesn't have Kelvin, so I use a pre-set white balance setting, where I take a picture of a white piece of paper in the lighting that I'm shooting and that sets the white balance. I only do that for indoors where the lighting is yellow or weird (especially in gyms for sports). The rest of the time I use the other presets like "sunny" or "cloudy" for outdoor stuff.

16. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I tried the scrolling thing and still only saw white and gold. the only time I saw it as blue and black was when I saw the model wearing it.
    I'm pretty much a grab and shoot with the camera so I usually use the auto settings. But I see I should get a bit of info on some of the more (to me) obscure settings so planned photos can improve...

17. twomoredays

twomoredays Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand

The best thing about #thedress was that I got to have a total nerdy conversation about white balances, color correction and calibration, and the relativeness of perception with my library coworkers. :)

I definitely saw it as white and gold at first and then it switched to blue and black and that's all I've seen since! My husband only ever saw blue and black and thought it was the stupidest thing he'd ever heard of when I told him about it. :giggle

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  18. dennydenny

dennydenny Why can't it snow in the Bahamas?

I saw only gold and white...
    Usually I use the auto settings for WB but sometimes I like to play with Kelvin :)