Christmas cards

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jesskab, Nov 10, 2014.

1. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I am seriously considering just drawing a picture of my family for our Christmas cards this year. I've tried 3 different times to get our pics. I am not feeling this at all. I'm about to get out some crayons & draw stick figures. The funny thing is, I can't get myself to send a card without a picture.

Please tell me I'm not the only crazy mom doing this.

2. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

i am using photos from easter-- they were this year, right? I just don't have the energy- mental or otherwise- to plan a photoshoot/get outfits coordinated/get everyone excited/ etc. The kids are getting older-- if they were younger I might just do individual pics of each of them. But, I did get some family shots at easter when I don't look too huge so i am using them.

3. KayTeaPea

maybe you could have your kids draw a family pic and use that?

4. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Collage some cropped pics of everyone separately?

5. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I hate, absolutely H.A.T.E. Having my picture taken. I took some really nice ones of my son a couple weeks ago, he did a 'selfie' of the two of us and I just cringed when I saw myself. I usually just do store bought cards IF I even remember to send them out, lol.

6. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

haha I feel you ... I am ready to give up because my teen is refusing point blank to pose for a family Christmas card photo :giggle

7. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

I just started thinking about cards today. Not sure what I'm going to do for a photo this year. I typically use my tripod and take pictures of us. This will be the first year trying to capture all five kids. Just not sure that is going to happen...may have to go for the whole stick figure thing too :)

8. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

We didn't do a card at all last year - just ran out of time. But we got family photos taken on Sunday so we'll see how they turn out. I did some serious bribing and threatening for smiles and cooperation.:giggle So surely there will be at least one good pic!

I like Lorry's idea of a photo collage.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

i stopped doing them a few years ago. just too much stress at an already busy time of year. the collage idea could be a great way to go though! one year i handmade all my christmas cards with a scan of my son's drawing of a christmas tree. it was so stink in' cute and he was like 4 or 5 at the time. it's one of my faves!

10. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I just do individual shots of the kids from the previous year.

11. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I usually buy a roll of wrapping paper... and tape some to the wall... I let the boys have their way with some of the paper and take some goofy pictures... and after they get that extra energy and giggle fest out, I can usually get a couple good shots and they are cooperative.

I take pictures in a small hallway/door... so, the boys are in the hallway, and I open the door that leads to the backyard deck, and stand outside... they can't complain they are freezing and I usually get better light this way, lol!

This year, I bought holiday photo props for them to play with! lol! I'm excited. I think I'll take them this weekend!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  12. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

So tell me this...is it cheesy to do a basic shutterfly card with my girls school pics? I bought the CD with the rights to their picture from the company that did their school pics, so I am thinking of just using those. They actually turned out fairly cute this year. I feel a little awkward about it, but I know my family that doesn't get to see my kids often would still appreciate it.

13. KayTeaPea

not cheesy! I say go for it!

I just got info from Persnickity that they have a sale on their cards-- off to figure out what to do to get mine ready to order!
    I think I'm going to make 5x7 jpegs with the image and a greeting, have them printed, and use my silhouette to cut out "peace" in a pretty script and sew to the cards. I'll post a photo when I get them done!
    Good luck to everyone who wants to get the cards done!

14. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

i seriously suck when it comes to Christmas cars. I never do anything even remotely cute or personalized. I don't do family pics. Heck, most years I don't do cards. They just take so.much.time. And I'm just really bad at planning ahead and follow thru :giggle

15. JuliettePerkins

JuliettePerkins I eat, sleep, breathe Apple.

I want to do a year in review infographic postcard instead of a traditional Christmas card this year.

16. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

I'm dying to see what Karen is doing!! :)

I normally only send out cards to a select few. A couple of years I've done photo cards and people seemed to like them. Not sure it will happen this year but we'll see.

17. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

those are great ideas ... the photo props sound SO fun, i bet you'll get some really cute shots!

18. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Getting my family together for photos just doesn't happen so I take a fun Xmas pic of my dog for our Xmas card.

19. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I usually think about Christmas cards around New Years and then it's too late, so I just call it a wash for the year. Ugh!

20. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

All of these ideas are great, you guys. I think having your kids draw a family picture would be super adorable. I have done lots of different things in the past. I have done a photo collage using Paislee Press template:
    [​IMG]
    For some reason my uploaded image didn't turn out great, but printed it looked amazing and everyone loved it.

We also have used just photos from sometime during the year for our Christmas card. this year, my sister was just here and took some pics of my boys at a Christmas tree farm that turned out amazing and so I am most likely going to use those for our card and skip me and Micah being in the photo!