Tell me what you are reading

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by karen perry, May 4, 2014.

1. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

i'm about 2/3 done with book of life. so far so good.

2. Celeste

You should try The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and the sequel. My favorite book so far this year.

3. anrobe

anrobe YouTube addict

I finished Mr. Mercedes which I really quite liked. I finished Landline by Rainbow Rowell which was a bit of a disappointment. I love her other novels but this one wasn't great. Now I'm reading Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer which is really interesting so far.

4. lizj

lizj Active Member

I just finished book 1 of A Game of Thrones. Totally hooked. I am told the tv series is fairly true to the book. Recently read We are Water by Wally Lamb. It is a very tough subject and I thought he did an excellent job. Also loved both of JK Rowling's adult books, The Casual Vacancy and Cuckoo's Calling (written under her pseudonym, Robert Galbraith). Not a huge fan of YA so Divergent felt a little like a Hunger Games rip-off (or maybe it's the reverse?).

5. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

I'm re-reading Outlander. Thinking about re-reading the whole series before reading the most recent (which I already own). I'm such a nerd.

6. Ana.Paula

Ana.Paula Ana.Paula

Silver Shadows (Bloodlines #5)
    :yesss

7. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Am I really that rotten? I can't remember. I'm s

I also read Mr. Mercedes and really loved it!

I read Midnight Crossroads (or something like that) - the first in a new series from Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse author). I was pretty disappointed in that one. Not sure if I'll read the next in that series.

Also recently finished The Ninth Wife (liked it a lot) and Putting Makeup on Dead People (Loved). Just started All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner.

8. anrobe

anrobe YouTube addict

I finished Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer which I didn't love. It was ok but not great. Not sure why so many people seem to be raving about it but I just didn't connect with it.

I'm reading Fourth of July Creek by Smith Henderson now which I'm really enjoying quite a bit. Very well written, interesting story.

9. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

Is that the series that has a show on.... Showtime? We watched the first episode and I was intrigued enough to think of reading it.

10. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

I'm currently attacking the new Chicagoland Vampires book. And waiting for new books from a million series.

11. jenevang

Yes! EEK. It's going to be on Starz starting this week. I watched the 1st episode as well on the internet for free and it was actually pretty true to the book, all things considered. The male lead is not as I imagined him exactly but I think I'm going to like him. The female lead is pretty close to perfect.

And yes, I subscribed to Starz specifically to watch it, hehe. I don't know how long DH is gonna let us keep it, but I'm set for now. I LOVED those books. The 2nd was a bit difficult to get through but picked up in the middle and the rest were just as good as the 1st for me.

If you ever listen to books, like on Audible.com, this is a great one to listen to. The narrator (Davina Porter) is spectacular and I think one of my biggest adjustments to the show is that their voices are not "right".

12. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Am I really that rotten? I can't remember. I'm s

Recently finished: All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner, The Paperboy, just started the 21st Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum book.

13. lizj

lizj Active Member

Do you like Audible? I only heard of it this week, and am wondering if it's too good to be true. I listen to audiobooks much more than I read with my eyes, and it sounds like this would be perfect. I would love opinions. (I listened to the whole Outlander series on audiobook. Oh Jaimie. Sigh.)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  14. Celeste

I'm reading middlemarch. I've tried to read it unsuccessfully 4 or 5 times. I'm determined this time, it's really long and Victorian. But I think it is going to get better as I get further in.

15. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

Getting ready to start The Heist by Janet E. and someone else... I'm in need of a light-hearted, fun read right now!

16. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

This is me with the Song of Fire and Ice books. They seem to be mission impossible for me. I do ok for a while, then I just lose steam. I may have to just resign to only watching the story unfold on HBO :giggle

17. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

Started reading The Hundred Foot Journey last week when schools started back for the kids (the carpool lane is the first time I have had to read since June!)

18. jenevang

OMGosh. I LOVE Audible.com. Have listened to hundreds of books. WELL worth the price. They are always running specials for members so you can listen for pretty cheap and now with the whispersync, most books are cheaper if you buy the kindle version 1st, then the audible book. I even downgraded my subscription from 2 credits/month to one b/c there are so many you can get for < $10 I wasn't even using all of my credits.

I'm a total audiobook addict b/c I spend a lot of time in the car. It's also great for ironing/laundry/dishes, hehe... Oh, and I listen in bed when my DH is watching sports on TV. Too loud to actually READ, but stick those earplugs in and no more Sportscenter, LOL.

19. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Orphan train - .....so good!! Just finished The Husband's Secret - AWESOME!

20. JuliettePerkins

JuliettePerkins I eat, sleep, breathe Apple.

SO ME! I literally can't even get through the first book but I can't keep away from the TV series.

I'm reading 'Children of Men' by PD James at the moment. It's one of my favourite books ever and I've read it so many times that it just flows through my soul rather than being an arduous read.