Week 3 | Challenge 5: Use color/texture to reflect the mood of the page

Discussion in 'We Are Storytellers' started by Dalis, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

This week we will be talking about how to enhance your storytelling by the colors and textures you use in your pages. We will be talking about colors, moods and textures and to start this week here is your challenge. Here is a TUTORIAL: Color Wheel and moods to help you out just in case.

Here's your challenge:
    * Pick a photo (or collection of photos or go photoless), and enhanced your story by adding color and textures that reflect the mood or emotions of the story.
    * Scrap them in a layout that has at least 50% of any TLP products. Journaling is optional since the photos should be the primary storyteller.
    * Post your layout in this thread and in our gallery.

The deadline for this challenge is September 1st at 11 pm EDT.
    The Pollys will choose one layout as our Storyteller Standout from this challenge for a $10 prize.
    One random layout will receive a $5 participation prize.

Let's see some examples:

Christine's page: She used the Storyteller's collaboration. Christine's sample use the colors of brown and green, which makes us think of nature, growth, calmed moments.
    [​IMG]

Mine using the Storyteller's Collaboration too. My page is mostly read and black and white, which makes you think of LOVE and PURITY.
    [​IMG]

Renee's page: Renee's page is dark, she was just not having a good day and it is so represented in here heartfelt page with strong colors.
    [​IMG]

Amanda's page:
    [​IMG]

Keely's page:
    Keely's page is so serene and it's thanks to the pastel colors she used.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Fabulous challenge! I can't wait to see the pages for this one :)

3. Dalis

I am really excited to see all those emotions and see all my fellow friends moody as they can be!

4. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I good understand the purpose of this challenge.
    the page and layout must have the same colors. is it right ?

5. Dalis

What do you mean the page and layout? Go check this: COLOR WHEEL TUTORIAL. It might help. Remember this month we are working on enhancing your storytelling skills. This challenge is to make you think how incorporating colors and textures can make your story even stronger.

Example:
    Christine's sample kept the colors of brown and green, which makes us think of nature, growth, calmed moments.

My page is mostly read and black and white, which makes you think of LOVE and PURITY.

Renee's page is dark, she was just not having a good day and it is so represented in here heartfelt page with strong colors.

Amanda's page is all about TRUST, NATURE and just water fun and perfect with all that blue.

Keely's page is so serene and it's thanks to the pastel colors she used.

6. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Also, on my page I started with the photo of my daughter jumping in the pool. The ways I used texture was using the wood background paper to pick up on the wood in the pool deck. I also used the paint splash and petal tissue pieces under my photo to pick up on the water theme of my page. I tried to keep the colors in the blue family to work with the water theme.

7. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

Thank you for the explanations Dalis.
    I wrote to fast and wanted write photo and layout. I will read the post you linked.

8. Dalis

Gaelle, it's a fair question. Let me know if you have any others. I added those extra snippets of information to the challenge post.

9. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

[​IMG]

I chose to use mainly yellow on my page to express my goal of happiness and holding on to it.

10. MariSt

MariSt Well-Known Member

11. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

12. Dalis

Here is one more, I wanted to show in this page how my baby is growing "old"... LOL!!! So, I after I finished the page I used one of Laurie's papers in a radial gradient (in brown) and put it in the top layer and then applied a blend mode to it. Now, the page looks vintage and old. YAY! (Plus, it goes perfect with her cowgirl boots! WIN, WIN!!!!)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  13. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

[​IMG]

my ds's favorite color is yellow, and i actually *think* of him in terms of yellow. never before have i so strongly associated a color with a person.

14. chigirl

chigirl Candy Corn junkie

i used yellow for the sunny day, the blue to reflect the water in the pool, and the red just because I like it against the yellow.

[​IMG]

15. 3littleks

3littleks Pass the gold and the glitter, please!

awesome challenge. Thank you.

[​IMG]

16. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

I tried to made this :
    [​IMG]

I used sweet colors because, when my children are on the sofa taking their baby bottle, they are cuddly and quiet. I would show that in my page. hope it's ok

17. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I hope this is OK. The mud was grey and black, and lumpy with a lot more than just clams...
    I wish we could scrap with scents too. The rotting everything imaginable on the ocean breeze was priceless..
    I hope I don't have to spend more time on tidal plains at low tide...
    [​IMG]

18. scrappingramma

scrappingramma flower power

I love color here is mine

[​IMG]

19. bjthomas

bjthomas We will rock you!

My daughter's love of pink was perfect for this challenge!
    [​IMG]

20. krizo

krizo Well-Known Member

Here blue reflects serenity and summer brightness/blue sky

[​IMG]