Uninstalling Fonts...

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by MrsPeel, Jul 11, 2014.

1. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Can anyone explain how to un-install fonts?
    I need to know for both Mac & Windows.
    I'm on Mac but I scrap on a virtual windows program for Mac called Parallels as my scrapping program is a windows one...

I have tons of fonts I don't ever use, would love to get rid of them so I can get some new ones!!!!

Thanks if anyone could help, I d be really really grateful!!!:heartlub

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

for windows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/install-or-uninstall-fonts

To uninstall a font

• Open Fonts by clicking the Start button [​IMG], clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts.
    • Click the font that you want to uninstall. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold down CTRL while you click each font.
    • On the File menu, click Delete.
      If you don’t see the File menu, press ALT.
    ===============================================================
    for Mac: http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/03/installing-removing-fonts-in-mac-os-x/

Removing Fonts from Mac OS X

Installed an ugly font and decide you don’t want it anymore? Back in Font Book we can easily uninstall them:

[​IMG]
    How to Remove Third Party Fonts & Recover Default Mac Fonts

Finally, if you accidentally deleted an essential typeface or system font, or you added so many third party fonts that your font menus are a disaster, you can restore the standard font family to Mac OS X:

• From Font Book, pull down the “File” menu and select “Restore Standard Fonts…”
    • Click “Proceed” – this will remove all third party additions and nonstandard fonts and return you to the base Mac OS X font pack
    [​IMG]
    Note: You can recover third party fonts after the restoration by looking in your ~/Library/ directory for “Fonts (Removed)”. Here’s how to get access the ~/Library folder in OS X Lion.
    This process is exactly the same in OS X Mavericks, [COLOR=#0072BC !important][COLOR=#0072BC !important]Mountain [COLOR=#0072BC !important]Lion[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], Mac OS X 10.7 [COLOR=#0072BC !important][COLOR=#0072BC !important]Lion[/COLOR][/COLOR], and 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  3. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Christa, you ROCK.

With Font Book (Mac). I'll often choose the "disable" option instead of "remove". It stays in Font Book but doesn't show up on my list so doesn't slow that process down. Then every once in a while I look through those and re-enable some for "new" fonts :)

4. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

I was also planning on doing this .... once .... but it stays on my to do list...

5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

christa is a tut queen!

btw: i so need to do this too. it is out of hand. one of the designers asked on FB during iNSD (allison i think) how many fonts we had installed and i had no idea my count was even that high.

6. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

I know you're on a Mac, but wanted to say that with Windows 8, uninstalling did not work for me. I had to download a trial of a good font manager to uninstall the ones I didn't want. I followed all the directions and googled and apparently it's a common problem. Only a font manager got them uninstalled for me. And now I'm much pickier about what fonts I install.

7. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Lol :giggle

8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have so many fonts... I just googled the removal process, and have never tried to uninstall from windows myself... Thanks Jenn re the tut queen comment :) I like the way Mac does it by allowing you to turn off or disable the font. I too used to be happier when I could just open my "extra" font folder and PS would read it, but it has been many versions of PS since it will do that so I started loading.. now I have way too many fonts on all my window computers... I am thinking for windows you can go to program manager > windows and then the font folder and delete from there, but at this point I am not going to touch anything :) I just hope everyone who uses Mac will find the above helpful and as Jen says I would disable where possible...

9. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

i need to do this. i really should get a font organizer and just install as i need!

10. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I have way to many fonts as well, run windows 7 , Your way partially work Christa. I tried it straight away when I read it ( thank you so much ! :) ) You can easily uninstall a font you have installed yourself , yah. The problem comes when it is a Microsoft supported font, or one than comes with different systems, then it lets you get so far and the tells you either that it is a font family, and you can not delete it without deleting the entire family ...ahhh shame :cry ,or that it can not be deleted because it is a Microsoft protected font. , it does give you the option to hide but the ones I tried didn't work. But it is good to know that at least sometimes it works .:thumbsups

11. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

Oh my goodness, Christa-- you are really exceptional at tutorials!
    Jen, thanks for the point about font book. I hadn't thought of that and I totally need to do it!

12. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

yup

what she said-

thanks for that too Jen!

I need to take some time and do this... I also need to know how to un-install from Windows XP, as my scrapping program is run on Parallels (a virtual windows in my Mac)
    but will start by these first!!!! <3

13. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

Wow, I just went from 587 fonts to 93. Love being able to disable them!

14. ledamperry

ledamperry Named by her crazy father

I need to do this too!!

15. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

It's not a problem to delete the entire family, if it's one you don't care about. A font "family" is just the set of variations, like bold and italic. If you don't like the font, you probably don't like the bold or italic versions either.

16. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Wow, you are inspiring me to disable more :)

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I have over 200 fonts but probably only use about 20 or so. I need to sit down and do a clean up. There are some I know I will never use. Mostly I use a few handwritten fonts, typewriter fonts and clean graphic fonts.

18. anrobe

anrobe YouTube addict

I also need to do this ... I've gone crazy with the fonts in the past and have way more than I could ever use!\

19. justjaimee

justjaimee Designer

I manage my fonts on my PC through Nexus Font -it's free!
    http://www.xiles.net/nexusfont/
    I give them tags so I can find what I need fast and multiple delete fonts at the same time ( just last week I deleted about 1000 that I knew I would never use)

20. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I guess there are a lot of font addicts out there... myself included! LOL!

I got a font manager a few years ago because I love them. I think I pared them down to 1000 at the beginning of the year. The manager disables most when I close photoshop, as well as starts a certain few too. I then periodically go in and "start" random fonts, so that I will use more than the regular ones. It is nice to be able to scroll in the manager, without starting all the fonts.

Font Addicts... unite!

LOL!