Cohesiveness in your albums?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Katherine B, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Katherine B

Katherine B 2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate?!

Just wondering if any of you keep cohesiveness in mind when scrapbooking? I do, especially if I am working with photos from the same shoot. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my CDO? :crazy3

I tend to coordinate color from one page to the next, will utilize the same alpha(s), use the same font(s) over and over (I have a cRazY thing going with Bookman Old Style), embellishments even, especially brushes and will even repeat a design every now and again, altering it somewhat.

Am I alone? Or do most of you just go at it willy nilly?

2. JaneAgain

JaneAgain Active Member

I have learned that the only way I'm going to get a book actually made is to scrap with the book in mind, even down to which page I'm on. And I absolutely go for cohesiveness. I make sure my double pages match each other, I use the same few fonts, and I use the same style of elements.

I have a lot of pages that I scrapped before I realized that about myself, so I will be going back through those and creating second pages that more or less match, trying to create a loose theme and putting them in some kind of an order.

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

If I'm doing a photo book, I am for more cohesiveness. Individual layouts I don't worry about it. My project life is super uncohesive, and it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I love the randomness.

4. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I'm super willy nilly all over the place...mess of colors and themes and even styles. I don't ever worry about the facing page and even my PL pages tend to be all over the place unless I'm doing it for CT work (and I still sometimes manage to have a hot mess of color and theme since I like to mix it up and use more than one kit on a single pl page when I can).

And I kind of like it. I'm super eclectic in just about everything so it really works for me.

5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

the only thing my books have in common is the year! I try and put all of 2013 in 2 books. I have on occasion done a throw back page and popped in a current year!
    I want the books as soon as I can, and I find enough mistakes after I print, so keeping it the same..eep, I would never ever print

6. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

Nope, willy-nilly here, too! I scrap however I feel inspired by the photo or story, so it is all over the place but I like it that way I guess - I tend to not finish projects that are overly coordinated because I get tired of them...

7. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I'm pretty anal....hee hee...I mean "cohesive and chronological". Each book is a separate year and each event/set of photos is a double page spread and coordinates. Since I'm also putting my PL pages in-between regular LOs, they have a cohesive design, and each week coordinates, but they don't coordinate week to week.

8. Nixenkind

Nixenkind Dreaming of boiling in Brisbane.

The only layouts I regularly print are diary layouts, and those are totally non-cohesive... I just go with the flow and put in there what suits my mood.

9. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

For the overall book, I don't worry about being cohesive, but facing pages must be coordinated for me! So I do mostly double-page LO's even though I only usually upload half to the gallery. I do a book every 3 months and the covers for that year all have the same style too.

10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am completely willy nilly. I scrap whatever i feel like and use whatever. Then when I'm done, I put them all in chronological order in my shutterfly book. If two facing pages are terribly clashy, I will slightly rearrange, but otherwise I live by the motto "done is better than perfect"

11. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

LOL.. I'm the total opposite... I would spend more time planning and arranging and color coordinating than actually scrapping. (Although I do love and make time/place for those shenanigans in my life, just not in scrapping).. So I'm all over the place page by page and book by book..

^^ this (minus the shutterfly part) .. and to be fair, it did take me a good long while to come to terms with this motto.. ;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  12. Katherine B

Katherine B 2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate?!

I've LOVED reading through all of your responses and am really glad to know that I'm not alone in my approach, I was starting to think I needed to seek medical help or something. :lol :lol

And while I envy those who can go at it willy nilly, I've completely embraced the fact that I can't. :yup :yup

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  13. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I am totally nilly. And willy. :beat

I do organize chronologically, but I do not scrap chronologically or coordinated-ly (totally a word). I'm pretty Type A in most other facets of my life, so I really 'go wild' and have pages face each other with opposite color schemes. :giggle

14. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Depends on what I'm doing. A photo book from an event or vacation should be cohesive and likely have a theme. I also find myself trending in certain directions, then my pages have a similarity I don't really intend. Like right now I seem to be into blended backgrounds. Generally though pages drive themselves and I don't really go for cohesiveness in individual pages. Sometimes when I try to put a year into a book, I regret some of the randomness though. Crazy huh...

15. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I am usually scrapping for one of my kids' families so I scrap what I like. If I decide to build a book later, I go back and add pages, change some pages, etc. to give somewhat of a cohesive look. Right now I am just printing all of my LOs for me so I'll just live with the way they come out. If my children were small and at home, I'd try to build more cohesive books. I do love the way they look.

16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I'm a whatever works for the page kinda gal...

17. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

i am crazy with chronological order! I don't care if they match or anything but they must be in order.

18. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

WORD.

19. grrfluudy

grrfluudy This? Oh it's just my million dollar pen.

If it is a wedding album for a present or something then I will make it all matchy matchy. But my own stuff? Nah...it's all over the place!! I also do the 'swap the pages thing' to make them look good in the album if they are super clashy if I am printing one professionally. But since I have only professionally printed one -- my MOC album this year -- I haven't had to deal with that much yet. LOL