Non-Native English Speakers: Scrapping Question

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by LeeAndra, Jan 10, 2014.

1. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I'm just curious how you feel abt using English wordart, titles, etc. on your scrap pages.

Do you just use them for CT or posting purposes and then remove them when you save or print them? Do you not mind the mix between English and your native language? Do you make your own in your native language and avoid the bits 'n' pieces in kits that have English words on them? Do you search out designers who create kits with bits 'n' pieces in your native language?

Is your decision influenced at all by your family or friends or whomever you are scrapping for?

I was browsing the gallery and saw several pages with bits 'n' pieces in English and journaling in a second language and tried to imagine what I would do if English was not my first language, but I enjoyed a hobby or activity with a majority of English speakers. I have no idea what I would do, actually!

Hence my question. :giggle

2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I scrap with "South African" English but will use stuff with American spellings. However if given the choice of words like favourite and colour I would go with the British version.
    Ladies I know that speak Afrikaans use English bits and pieces because their families understand English, even if it isn't their home language.

3. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

I have absolutely no problem using English word art on my pages. I'm Danish and when I feel that it would work better in Danish I make it myself. Danish is such a small (and difficult language) that we are so used to English and in many ways it almost feels like a second native language. Kids start learning it in first grade, so I can't really see the problem in it. If it does the work I need it to than who cares what language it is in.

4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Word art and premade stuff I use American English but journalling I try and use New Zealand English

5. omuli

omuli La!La!La! I can't heaaar you!

I do everything in Finnish i.e. I don't use English word art, embellishments or anything. Scrapping is memory keeping for me and my family and I'd find it ridiculous to use English phrases in my pages which we never use in real life. Every kit has plenty of ellies without any texts which I can use so I don't think there is a problem. What comes to fonts I only use fonts with accents.

6. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I use UK English always for my own pages ( my Husband is English speaking) and see no problem with that . If I make pages for my Danish family, or pages about them, then I make my own Danish word art,( sometimes I make 2 versions if one of them is for a challenge) And because of that can I please say a big thank you to designers like Kim Jensen who include our "funny extra letters" (in my case æ ø å )in their alphas and things like spell it beads ( she even has folders called international ) -you rock!

7. Nixenkind

Nixenkind Dreaming of boiling in Brisbane.

My native language is German... but I'm so anglophil I often do my JOURNALING in English ;). The only exception is my Project Life where I always journal in German... but I have no problem mixing that with English titles or wordart.
    Sometimes I almost fail to notice that it's not the same language, I've spent so much time writing/reading/speaking English, it feels quite natural by now.

8. dennydenny

dennydenny Why can't it snow in the Bahamas?

My native language is Italian, so I journal in my language but for the word art I like to use English. I have no problem with it because English has become part of everyday life for most people here. But my husband does not know it and so does not like to have word in another language in my albums. then I try to do something in between.. I Use the easiest word in English and the most special in Italian.

9. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Yes! A big thank-you from me too!
    English is my native language but I do scrap in Danish sometimes, or even if I scrap in English I may have some words or names that are Danish because, living in Denmark and having a Danish family, those things come up. It is *SOOOOO NICE* when I don't have to make my own æ ø å in an alpha or avoid using a lovely alpha because they aren't included. And I have some free fonts I can only use in English, but I won't pay for one without accents. It's way too much of a PITA to worry about whether I'm going to mention someone named Jørgen or whatever when I'm picking out a font!

10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Very interest question and responses! Threads like these make me feel like such a lazy American because I can't speak or read any other language. :giggle You guys are all amazing!

11. Nixenkind

Nixenkind Dreaming of boiling in Brisbane.

Yes, I know that problem- it's the same for German with the "ü", "ö" and "ä"... if they're not included in a font, I can't really use it if I journal in German, so it's limited.

12. violaine

violaine Well-Known Member

My native language is french ... Some basic english words are understood by the majority of people and sometimes similar to french so I will use them but if they are sentences or less a word used so I do not take ...

13. sucali

sucali sucali

My native language is German, I do not have a problem using English Word Arts, but I do my Journaling in German. Especially my PL pages.
    If the Word Arts would also be in German, then I would prefer to use the German version...But some Word Arts would sound "funny" in German as we often use other phrases.
    I also often have a problem with fonts, as Nixenkind mentioned most don't include the German ä, ü, ö and ß...
    For a short sentence it's o.k. with such a font, but I never would use a font which doesn't include these letters for my longer journaling or my PL pages...It would be great if all fonts would include these letters...

14. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

My native language is Spanish. I am making the pages for my daughter and she mostly speaks English, so that is fine with me.

15. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Aw, thanks for the shout out. :blush My only alternate languages are some very rusty high school Spanish and about two weeks of the French class I made it through while I was working a project in Montreal many years ago, so I'm not always confident about the additional characters, but I do the best I can! :flirty

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

That's such a great and considerate Q and i've wondered it myself seeing so many cultures here- i really can't even bring myself to use 'favorite' or 'color' word art elements on a page, because that's not right for us, following UK english spelling conventions and when my kid's read the books, i don't want my daughter especially to be telling me i spelt (i think the American version is 'spelled') something wrong in my journalling (US: journaling). i get that enough from my husband!

17. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

My mother tongue is Russian, but the kids are bilingual in English and Italian, so if it's a page to be used in the book that the kids will want to show their friends at school, then we do it in Italian, and we make our own word art, just like we do if it's a page for my Russian speaking parents. Let's face it there is enough to correct in American English word art before I can let anybody English speaking see it! LOL! What I oppose is the non English speaking designers making WA in English, but very bad English, sometimes not making much sense after they are done with it. I would hope they'd let somebody from their CT team have a look at it before selling... And I do favour the designers that have alternative British spelling included side by side with American. I guess LaurieAnn spoilt me rotten. :)