Family Board Games

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by talktoheather, Dec 15, 2013.

1. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

DH really wants 5 second rule which is surprising because he tends to hate party games. I love, love, love party games so I've definitely hinted to my brother that that's what he should get us if he decides to buy us a game for Christmas..lol.

2. JuliettePerkins

JuliettePerkins I eat, sleep, breathe Apple.

Cards against Humanity is EXCELLENT, but definitely for adults or older teens. You can actually download it and print the cards yourself rather than buy it, and it means that you can make your cards pretty if you like, but also censor the ones you might not want in the pack and add in more appropriate things in their place.

http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. JuliettePerkins

4. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

Seven Wonders is a really fun game as well..and it plays up to 7 people. It's a fast game (30 mins to an hour) with no down time for players.

And not really a board game (though there is a board). Cribbage is a game that often gets played at family gatherings. DH and I both grew up playing and we actually met online playing cribbage on Yahoo.

Heather, I wish we lived closer. It would be super fun to get together and play board games. I always love it when you post photos of your game nights on Facebook.

5. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

Well, my kids would say Monopoly and Life but only because they like to torture us. :)

We really like Sequence and Dominos. This isn't a board game, but Phase 10 is a good one too, and my 7 year old can handle it. I'm so happy to be finished with CandyLand!

6. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

We play Apples to Apples all the time. Seriously hilarious results!

7. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

We are making the move away from Candyland. Weeeeeeeeeee!! So excited. hahahaha

Phase 10 is one we love to play. Uno too!

8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

It's not a board game but we play 10,000 (a dice game). Fun and easy to play. Simple enough that we can chat while we're playing and it goes pretty quick. All you need are 6 dice.

9. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

We got that new monopoly with the credit card! and do the fast game! it is pure hilarious...and so so fun!
    big lover of dominos here also...cause I am always wanting them to learn...darn homeschool gene!
    if trouble comes out again...yikes! supposed to be a 30 minute game...we played for 2 hours at Wendy's
    and I must say
    family fun game night at a fast food place is pure wonderful!

10. charmedeebob

charmedeebob Heather's Team

If you have little ones, I recommend Moose in the House. They LOVE playing it and it's very easy for them to understand.
    We are board game geeks and play monthly with our group of friends; Game Night is sacred in our house :)
    Our current faves:
    Pandemic
    Alhambra
    Tsuro
    Catan (all versions)
    Castle Panic
    Sequence
    Cards Against Humanity

My husband has a cabinet that is literally stuffed FULL of games. I call it the Narnia game cabinet, because I'm pretty sure it must open up into a whole other magic room full of games!

11. talktoheather

talktoheather The 102nd Dalmatian.

Catch Phrase is fun! I haven't heard of Bezzer Weezer. I'll have to look into it.

I haven't played Uno in forever it seems, and I think it's missing from our collection. o_O

This is how I feel about our game cabinet as well. But its glass so it sparkles even with the door closed.
    Pandemic is fantastic. Probably our favorite introduce non board game people into a game since it's cooperative. We have both expansions and they are vey fun. Also an iPad version! It's great for long trips.
    Alhambra, I love. We have the New York edition.
    Haven't played Tsuro yet. But it looks like something that will join our collection.
    Catan, we've just got the standard for now. Which ones do you have? I've been thinking of getting Star Trek Catan for Wes.
    Castle Panic, on my wish list already!
    I'll need to check out sequence.
    CAH. Yes, always a pleaser.

I was the banker with the credit card version. Does it change the dynamic since you can't see everyone's stacks of cash?
    We also have brought a game out to eat with us. We played Munchkin at a hole in the wall Mexican Restaurant. I never felt so nerdy.

This sounds neat. I love dice games!

Yes! Always a winner. And much more friendly family than Cards Against Humanity.

Ooo. Phase 10, another one I haven't played in a while! I'll need to add this to our collection.

I wish we could have game nights together too! I've never played Cribbage, I'll need to check it out. I'm pretty sure I see Seven Wonders every time I go to the game store. I'll have to add it to the research more list.

So much fun!

My friend wanted to play this on her birthday... with her dad... Let's just say it got awkward.

I do like Disney Stuff! Good to know it's good with other adults!

Off to check these out.

Watching the tabletop of King of Tokyo made me hate it because of the sound effects they used. I'll check and see if someone else did another play through so I can fall in love.

Yes! I got Wes Star Wars X-Wing. None of the miniatures yet. I'm always down for a good cooperative game so I'll have to look into this!

There is a Disney HedBandz edition. Woot!

We got Forbidden Island on the iPad and play through the Apple TV. Its a blast. And made by the same people that made Pandemic. Love!

Can't go wrong with the classics. Haven't played Fact or Crap, but sounds fun.

Sounds fun.

Wes really wants to get into the Seafarers editions but we haven't yet.

How cute! Would you share a link to the channel?

Yes! I got this game from my mom one year and haven't played in so long. I need to play again soon!

It is very good. but VERY adult!

I'm sure our games will change drastically when we start having little ones, but I'm going to push the age limit on most to try and squeeze out more years of fun at home.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. It's great to hear what others play. Christmas is going to be a big bomb of games for our family so I'm beyond excited. And also slightly worried, because we are already overflowing the game cabinet we bought earlier this year. As my grandmother would have said, "we are lucky to have such problems"

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  12. JuliettePerkins

Heather, you sound like the board game queen - what a wealth of information! Have you got a game called Logo in the US? We have it here in the UK and it's all sorts of well known corporate logos and images and you have questions about the products, and guess the company etc. It's quite a good game :)

13. charmedeebob

We have Cities and Knights (not my fave), Seafarers (played most often, love this one), Star Trek, Traders and Barbarians (its ok), Oil SPrings and Frienemies Scenarios. Our friends we just gave Pirates and Explorers too for their birthdays so we are excited to play that one, since its most like Seafarers, our fave. The kids have the Catan Jr and really love it too. I didn't like the Star Trek version as good as the original, but its entertaining....I think it would have been more fun if the other players were all Trek geeks too lol. Tsuro is a great, easy, no brain game. Good for a warm up quickie or a day when you just have the dumb. :) Sequence is an oldie, but super fun!! Strategy :) Have a great time with your family this holiday playing all these games, and may the universe bless you with a bigger game cabinet ;)

14. talktoheather

I've seen it in the stores but haven't picked it up. Is it fun?

Have you heard of ladies and gentlemen? It's a game out of France and just released this year. It's impossible to find in the US unless you are wanting to pay twice the cost. I've found it on a few European sites but the shipping makes it twice the price. It looks like a lot of fun for an older group, I'm hoping to get my hands on it soon.

15. talktoheather

Thanks for the tips on expansions. have you played settlers of America or merchants of Europe. Those are on our wish list. Hope y'all have a fun holiday season too.

16. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

Sure! This is their review of Boom Boom Balloon. They also recently reviewed HeadBandz and a game called Logo Party. This is their channel. Sometimes I show up in their videos. LOL!

17. talktoheather

How cute! Thanks for sharing!!

18. charmedeebob

Nope, haven't played those ones. You'll have to let me know if you get them! Forgot to mention we are huge into Ticket to Ride also. Love the trains :)

19. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

20. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

We play Uno and Apples to Apples a lot.

Our favorite board game is Settlers of Cattan - we usually play Cities and Knights. Never heard of settlers of America or Merchants of Europe - will have to check those out. :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013