Do you let your kid pick their hair cut/style?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Dalis, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Roboliver

Roboliver I feel right at home at the Glitter Gulch!

Thankfully my boys are not experimenters with their hair so yes I let them pick. ;) What I'm worried about is that my 16 year old wants gage earrings. NO WAY! Cool on other people's kids!!!!

2. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

So far I've kept the 22 year old girl away from any large piercings or tattoos. 19 year old boy wants nothing to do with either.

Mine have had free rein with their own hair for years but have been very low maintenance about it. The girl had a purple streak for a while but has fairly long hair that she keeps trimmed, adding long bangs occasionally. Boy fairly traditional short cut, he has really curly hair so it looks straggly too long. As a scout going on long trips he cuts it really short.

We all use the same hairdresser. She gave my son his very first haircut, cutting off his baby curls. Neither one of them wants a different one. My daughter gets trims when she's home for visits.

3. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I know what you mean!

I think when you don't make it a biggie, then it doesn't become a biggie... well... at least I am hoping! LOL!!!!

4. julia

julia julia

So far it's just past his shoulders in the back, and shorter up front. He's been called a girl a few times now, but he'd rather that, than cut it shorter. I've said it doesn't mean you look like a girl, it's just that most girls actually have long hair and boys have short hair. But definitely seeing a trend, more boys are keeping their hair longer.
    Here's what his hair looks like now;
    [​IMG]

5. hslater

hslater Member

Julia I love him!!! Love his blue eyes with that gorgeous blond hair!!! That's how I want Declan to have his hair but at 3 he knows he wants his short and spikey :( :( Not a happy mummy lol I'm hoping Harry will let me keep his hair long haha!!

Lily, 5, doesn't really know of any other styles other than what she has, and I'm glad of that for now lol makes it much easier at school time!

6. Dalis

OMG. LOVE HIS HAIR!!!!!

short and spikey is cute too!

7. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I don't let DD decide now because she is only 4. Maybe something like 'shorter' or 'longer.'

When she gets older, I would let her do what she wanted within reason as long as it was not against school policy e.g. whatever cut, shaved, dyed non-traditional colors, etc. Same with piercings within reason e.g. ears, nose, brows.

I'd much rather she experiment that way than in other more destructive ways, kwim?

8. hslater

hslater Member

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

9. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

i have boys so it is differant and gabbi isnt old enough to choose hers yet,i do let the boys have what they desire within reason

10. Dalis

Yep, that's my thinking I hope it doesn't come to bite me you know where.

OMG totally adorable!

11. SmallMoments

SmallMoments Are you ready for some football??

Luke hasn't cared until our last appt. So I just told Ashley to do whatever she did before. (Our whole family goes to the same stylist. LOL) Last time before we went in he said, "Mom. I think I want to grow my hair out long." Okay, whatever. I'm glad he finally cares!! Ha ha!

Bianca looks ADORABLE with the pixie cut!!!

12. Dalis

thanks Kristin, I think when they start caring they start brushing better... LOL!!!

13. Nixenkind

Nixenkind Dreaming of boiling in Brisbane.

Yep, I totally let my kids pick their own hairstyle... but of course, I do have an opinion. I would like Romy's (11) hair a little shorter (it's reaching down to her buttocks now, and she HATES brushing it, so that doesn't really go together), Thea's (9) a little longer (it's touching her shoulders, I would like it a little longer, she a little shorter- she wins), I would like the boys' hair REALLY long, but they don't like that... and as I said, they can decide for themselves and don't have to listen to me.
    But: I know mothers who are VERY attached to their daughters' long hair and would most likely kill a stylist who dared to cut off a single inch...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  14. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Two days ago, my daughter told me she wanted "short hair like Mommy". I wanted to be sure she really wanted it, so I said maybe. She asked again yesterday. Today is her 5th birthday and she asked again. She helped me find the hair shears, and I asked her if she understood she couldn't put it back after I cut it. She said "yes, I understand." She is language delayed and doesn't often use full sentences, so this was a lot for her. I started to cut and she asked the whole time, "is it short yet? Can I see?" I finally lifted her up the mirror and she got SO excited. She's so thrilled with her new hair. I'll definitely let her decide again. :)
    [​IMG]

15. carrottop

carrottop Member

I have four children that still need help getting ready in the morning. Dh cuts the boys hair, and we keep it short, so that's a no-brainer. DD is ten, and would like her hair longer, but we are keeping it short for now. She has gorgeous curly hair, and it is really hard for me to keep looking good if it's touching her shoulders. While she would like to let her hair grow, it just isn't looking very good when it grows out. It takes a lot of time to curl, gel, etc., and honestly, it's just time we don't have right now on busy mornings. We tried last year for a few months, but it looked like she had a curly mullet, and she isn't quite ready to style it on her own yet.

[​IMG]

We had a chat with our stylist, and she talked Izzy into keeping it short until she reaches middle school (which is next year), when she can take over more of the curling, styling, etc. I would probably have to spend an hour everyday just on her hair if we let it grow out, and she would have a hard time, I think. So far, it has been frustrating for me to teach her how style, and she gets frustrated easily, so I think it will be a project we tackle in the new year. She does a little bit here and there, but with such curly hair, this is working well for us right now.

16. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

My 6 year old girl basically gets to decide whether it's a shorter bob or long, but that's about it. I do try to take requests like ponytail, pigtails, braids, etc. but sometimes I just have to make her pull it up because it just gets in the way. It's long right now, and because she's not really old enough to take care of it yet, I am very tempted to have it cut into a short bob again.

17. Dalis

Lorell,
    Growing curly hair is HARD, I know by personal experience... so hold down the fort and breath.

Melissa,
    I like bobs too, both long and shorts for Bianca but I am seriously diggin' this pixie cut.