wow PS is EXspensive!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Aug 13, 2013.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Lab fees, welding helmets, uniforms for RoTC, fabric, food for snacks, and I didn't even count the notebooks and all we got last night?
    I am thinking dang.....
    I have homeschooled for the last 5 years, and we did all in one computer programs and one math curriculum and so far it is cheaper! wow!
    I thought our taxes paid for school???:hissy
    I am keeping a good attitude,:giggle as I write out check after check...is everyone else dropping large bundles on public school fees?

2. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

It seemed like all the time I was writing checks for band assessments, lab fees, shop fees, etc. Now we're to college where you pay for all of it including books!

3. AnneofAlamo

oh college in this house, is all grants and scholarships! lol! my oldest is in his 2nd semester...and the boy has more money than we do!
    but I have to admit to love seeing the joy of school on all their faces.
    my kinder son tells me...it was okay, I guess I'll go back tomorrow..
    lol

4. lauracw

lauracw Gets a funky high on yellow sun

I guess I will quit whining about the 16 glue sticks and $60 in school fees for my second grader....apparently it just gets worse, LOL!! I'm still reeling from sticker shock with cheerleading and they keep asking for more!

5. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

It will be our first year of school this year, and I am on the opposite side in that I am okay with paying fees as long as it is an added positive benefit for the kids. I went to a private Catholic school so I am used to (my parents) having to pay for everything - tuition, supplies, books, uniforms, etc. As long as it's less than $280/a month...I am A-okay!

6. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

My kids go to a private christian school and it is a sacrifice for us. So far, we've been able to do it and are happy with it. I have nothing at all against public school. DH and I are both products of public school. It just worked out that this was the best decision for our family at this time. However, we do sometimes joke that we should have at least one of our paychecks made out to the school, LOL. It's the worst at the 1st of the year, though, so hang in there.

Oh, and Anne... the more kids you have, the more expensive it is, LOL. Just sayin'...

7. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

ours are done in one lump sum, and are billed in September, so I haven't paid them yet. BUT, when all is said and done, it will average about $200 per child in book rental fees, etc, on top of the $200 I've already spent in school (and class room cleaning) supplies for the 1st day.

8. AnneofAlamo

yeah...that is way true, and I guess, I always hear how homeschooling is so expensive...it really wasn't. I am cool with it, just kinda thru this momma for a loop.
    my girls have one teacher that said she will give them a grade for bringing in tissue? I was like wow, why am I supping tissues for the school....my kids can put it in their pockets? we be the ghetto toilet paper on the desk people!

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oy! We don't have any of those crazy lab fees or welding helmet type expenses yet, but school is certainly expensive. We do Lutheran private school and the tuition just about kills us. Ouch! When I pay that check I always think what a lovely family vacation that would pay for. LOL! Obviously we think it's worth it, but it sure does sting at the first of the school year. I spent about $90 in school supplies and when I go for back to school night there will be about $40 more for assignment books, new bible for the youngest (his first year having his own for school) and I'll probably buy last year's yearbook too.

10. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

LOL... yeah, and everyone tells us homeschoolers that homeschooling must be so expensive :)

11. AnneofAlamo

the larger your family in homeschool the more bang for the buck! lol
    reuse recycle and all that! lol

12. Roboliver

Roboliver I feel right at home at the Glitter Gulch!

I though you meant photoshop & I came to post that I agree! But public school.... YES I thought it didn't cost as much as it does. Blah.

13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

It was such a relief to me this year to only have to school shop for one as opposed to 2 or 3! I had one that went through a Dental Assisting program and one that did ROTC and stuff. Fees, fees, fees! It adds up quick! Being a teacher, I try not to ask for too much from parents and kids, but we are sooo limited on funds and it seems to get worse every year. The cuts in funding to public education are insane. And those taxes sure aren't going in teachers' pockets either LOL I haven't had a raise for 4 or 5 years.
    Glad to hear that yours are enjoying school, Anne :)

14. MamaB

MamaB Active Member

Anne, the beginning of the school year is the worst! Tissues and such are usually things the teacher will ask for since otherwise having to supply for the room would come out of her pocket. Yes you would think that each child should bring their own but in reality it doesn't happen that way. By asking all kids to bring these things at the beginning, it allows the room to run smoother throughout the year. It is a painful hit to the pocket.

15. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Our PS fees is around $120 + supplies, which I lazily order through the school which is another $50. I just don't want to be driving like a maniac around town to find one of those stupid supplies that are almost impossible to find.

16. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Wow, we're public school, and I'm thinking we got off pretty easy, other than DS's 3 years of band expenses ($$$$). We did have to buy some fabric and such for DS the last couple of years for sewing projects, and there was about $25 worth of stuff that went into his science fair project last year, but that was about it for extras.

Tissues are always included in the school supply packs, which are sold as PTA fundraisers. We spent $40 for DD's for this year, plus a $10 binder that we bought on our own. She did pick out some stuff to decorate her locker (which has DS shaking his head, not understanding that it's a girl thing :giggle), but that's coming out of her pocket.

DS will be going to a STEAM academy, and I was expecting to pay through the nose, but so far, only $30 for a school supply pack. There is a $10 badge fee, and recommended $34 insurance for the ChromeBooks the school is providing. Of course it's a brand new school/curriculum (the building is scarily far from ready considering they start in a week and a half), so who knows what may be coming, but I've been relieved so far. :thumbsups

17. SmallMoments

SmallMoments Are you ready for some football??

Ha ha!!!! I thought you meant photoshop too!

You could just tell the. They can't be in extra curricular stuff that'd make it cheaper. Lol. No?

18. asouthernladysramblings

asouthernladysramblings New Member

I came to this tread thanking Photoshop as well. My children started off school in the local public school and went until they finished 3rd & 4th grades, we homeschooled for 2 years which was what we needed at the time. This year is their first year in a local Private Christian School and so our major expense is tuition, but uniforms is what threw me for a loop. I just spend $80 for each girls uniforms and that was just 2 sets (1 polo shirt, 1 t-shirt, 1 skirt and 1 skort). Supplies were not too bad about $40 each and book fees were a lot as well. We were blessed with a partial scholarship for tuition and that has been a big help. This is they 2nd week and they are adjusting well. So this makes for a happy Mom.