Swimsuits for preteens

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by MissKim, Jan 23, 2013.

1. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

I know it's still January, but Spring Break is in less than 2 months. :woot I have a daughter that just turned 13. She is just starting to develop but still has the body of a girl. Only problem is that she's really tall. Like 5'6", around 130 pounds. Not overweight, just solid. She wears a women's size 6 or 8 in pants and at least a medium in a shirt.

So here's my dilemma. Can't buy her girl sized swimsuits, which are most appropriate for her age and body type. Can't buy her adult swimsuits that would fit from my go-to places (Aeropostale, Old Navy, Gap, Target, American Eagle) because they are beyond inappropriate for a 13 year old. Nothing with cups (because she has nothing to fill it out), not really wanting a bikini because she's at that awkward stage of body consciousness. Want something that will last because we go to the pool, water parks and lake a lot in the summer.

Any suggestions for me? Something modest but fun?

2. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

3. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Yep, that was my suggestion too. Lands End.

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I have teen twins, and cups are hilarous on them...we search everywhere, and found Kmart! to be our go too place for swimsuits... they sell them individually, top bottom. They like that because of their torso length.
    here are theirs from last year, and we are at the pool, down at the river and on the trampoline with water all summer, I do buy two for each. not a flattering pic of my Abby, but the suit is all there, two pieces!
    [​IMG]
    and here is Anna
    [​IMG]
    Target had them one year also, but we had to really search for one's that weren't short to show belly, as they are very modest girls!

5. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

http://www.limericki.com/WOMEN

They are having a sale right now, it looks like, so you should snap them up!

I am too fat to have worn them personally, but I know other ladies (Megan Turnidge specifically) who have and love them.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  6. mommatrish

mommatrish mommatrish

yeah I've heard them highly recommend by many also

7. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

Gah. Everything is very cute, but I forgot how much more expensive women's swimsuits are than little girls.... I could buy 2-3 girls swimsuits for the price of one women's suit.

8. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

So happy I have a boy! LOL

I would so traumatize a pre-teen girl. I'd be all "What's wrong with this full body, skirted bathing suit?"

9. joelsgirl

joelsgirl joelsgirl

I got mine from http://www.hapari.com/. They do great deals on their newsletters, and I love the way mine fits (and I don't have much to fit up top and I'm still sporting some baby belly.)

10. la

la A closet sap

i know you listed target in your no no list.. :p

however. I got a swimsuit from target a year ago and it was really lovely and modest. It's a bandeau top BUT as a tankini type top instead of just the tubeytop part. It's perfect for the less endowed me so I think it'd be good for a 13 year old. she's an inch shorter than me but we wear the same sizes.. :p so.. i think it'd be ok. it was in the jrs section-- most of their stuff was horrifying but I really loved this one, so don't wipe target completely off the list :]

11. la

la A closet sap

12. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Oh, I just had another thought. What about Justice? Their patterns are probably appealing to a tween (though maybe not so much to Mom), but they do have cute tankinis. They go up to Sizes 16, 18 and 20 in juniors, which would definitely fit. You can always get a 40% off coupon for them, which makes the suits about $23.

http://www.shopjustice.com/girls-clothing/swimwear/swimsuits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

i'd say lands end. always modest!

14. crazygirl

crazygirl Opening a post office

I have tons of modest suits pinned to my Pinterest board. But for her age, I agree. Limericki. All. The. Way.

15. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

I love the Justice suits and she just got a size 18 shirt from there that fit really well. Will watch the site for a sale, maybe.

16. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

By the way, I feel your pain. My daughter is 13, wears a women's size 10, and is 5'9". Trying to dress that kid without her either looking like she's 35 or a hooker is a challenge.

17. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I'm on their e-mail list. They almost always have a 40% off sale or coupon going. You should be able to view the current coupon e-mail here. If that doesn't work, you can PM me your e-mail address and I'll forward it to you. :)

18. kim21673

kim21673 I'm slowly getting there!

THIS!!!! So glad I have 4 boys....I throw some trunks at them and tell them to put them on....all is good!! LOL

19. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

This had me laughing out loud. And I really needed to laugh today!
    Sorry, don't have any swimsuit input though as I am still blissfully in the little girl stage (at least for another year or two). I am kind of dreading that tween stage though - it seems like a no man's land of too kiddish or totally inappropriate.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  20. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

I so feel your pain - my 11 year old wears the same size clothes as my 15 year old and it does my head in that the clothes that fit her are really NOT appropriate for her! But I found tankinis a great compromise and because the sun is so burny here she has to wear a rash shirt most of the time anyway so even if I was forced to go the bikini route she would still be covered up :)