Musing #2 - I Saw the Sign

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by mishou, Nov 15, 2012.

1. mishou

mishou mishou

Welcome to the second Musing!

I was so excited by the response to the first prompt a few weeks ago. Thanks so much to everyone who played along! I hope you will find the next prompt equally inspiring :)

Before we begin, a reminder that we have an Art Journal gallery now so be sure to upload your pages there.

Ok here we go . . ..

I was sick with the flu all week and spent most days on the couch in my snuggie. By far the best thing I watched was the movie "Jeff, Who Lives at Home". If you like quirky independent dramas I highly recommend it! Also Jason Segel & Ed Helms = :heartlub . . but I digress!

At the very beginning there is a title card that introduces the theme of the movie:

Everyone and everything is interconnected in this universe. Stay pure of heart and you will see the signs. Follow the signs, and you will uncover your destiny. -Jeff

It didn't take me long to decide that this will be our theme for prompt #2!

Do you see the world like the Jeff does? Do you believe in fate? Destiny? God's plan?

"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."
    Lemony Snicket

A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.
    Proverbs 16:9

Do you pay attention to "signs"?

"Signs may be but the sympathies of nature with man."
    - Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

"I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes."
    - Ace of Base

(sorry, couldn't resist :giggle)

In this movie, the main character Jeff is obsessed with the M. Knight Shyamalan movie 'Signs' - here's a great quote from that movie too:

"People break down into two groups. When they experience something lucky, group number one sees it as more than luck, more than coincidence. They see it as a sign, evidence, that there is someone up there, watching out for them. Group number two sees it as just pure luck. Just a happy turn of chance. I'm sure the people in group number two are looking at those fourteen lights in a very suspicious way. For them, the situation is a fifty-fifty. Could be bad, could be good. But deep down, they feel that whatever happens, they're on their own. And that fills them with fear. Yeah, there are those people. But there's a whole lot of people in group number one. When they see those fourteen lights, they're looking at a miracle. And deep down, they feel that whatever's going to happen, there will be someone there to help them. And that fills them with hope. See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, that sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Have you ever had an experience of being in the "right place at the right time" or "wrong place at the wrong time"? Do you believe in coincidences?

There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.
    - John Lennon

Here are some samples for inspiration . . .

by me:
    [​IMG]

by sarahbhb:
    [​IMG]

by Jenna:
    [​IMG]

by naughtsncrosses:
    [​IMG]

If the theme or a quote or a question or anything about this post inspires you to create something, we'd love for you to share it with us! It can take any shape or form - there are no rules here! No deadlines either. Just post it in the Art Journal gallery and link us up here so we can all be inspired by your lovely work.

Happy journaling!

2. purlz76

purlz76 Ags

WOW!!! Weee !!!! It took me just 30mins to come up with this LO. COOL !!!!

[​IMG]

3. maaike

maaike New Member

They all look great! I am glad I saw in the newsletter about this section , since I am just starting as an artjournaller!
    Exciting!!!

4. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

Thanks for the inspiration! Now I need to put my thinking cap on....

5. mpatry

mpatry New Member

Well I had some difficulty with this one at first. So I started writing some things down.,,

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."

became...

"You are exactly where you are meant to be"

which in turn became...

"I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be now" (lyrics to Demi Levato song from Camp Rock... lol)

which then had me thinking that I DON'T know where I'm supposed to be right now. We recently moved and I feel lost on a daily basis. The language barriers of living in Quebec (even though I do speak some french, I feel like it's not enough in the region I'm living in) is making it hard. And then I saw the line...

"Follow the signs, and you will uncover your destiny"

And this is where I went with that... :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  6. mpatry

mpatry New Member

I will post again if that's ok once I have this printed out and in my art journal :)

7. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I love that you are printing these out and putting them in your journal. I know my digital creations tend to stay digital and it's always so cool when I have a printed version.

8. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I'm going to have to think on this and try to come up with something!

9. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

10. purlz76

purlz76 Ags

Another interpretation of "The Sign". :giggle :woot :wooot

[​IMG]

11. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

[​IMG]

I love this thread. so much inspiration!

12. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

I Saw the Sign

[​IMG]

13. jojoma

jojoma Member

I doubt I will participate but that is a super cute theme/prompt and the art that is being posted is awesome!

14. mpatry

mpatry New Member

Forgot to come back and show you my finished page! Here it is in all it's messy painted glory! (I had sooo much fun getting messy with this one)

[​IMG]