Creative Team advice

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by abandy, Aug 20, 2012.

1. editorialdragon

editorialdragon editorialdragon

Totally agree! I have SO MUCH "stuff" on my hard drive that I could scrap with something different every day for years LOL. But I need deadlines and responsibility, or it is too easy to shove scrapping to the bottom of my to-do list. With three little ones at home, I need that extra push to make time for something that is so important to me but otherwise can get crowded out by the day-to-day grind.

I'm not always the best CTM, I am terrible about making time for gallery commenting and i'm not a super chatty forum girl, but I try to contribute in other ways. I'm always sharing announcements, etc. on FB, and I'm on the blog team here. I think one key to being a great CTM is to play to your strengths, and do what you do best. I appreciate the designers/stores that recognize that not everyone is the best forum chatter, or chat host, or blog post writer, or social media enabler - and structure their teams accordingly. If you help your CT members to find their niche, and do what they do best, everyone will be happier and I think more successful! If that makes sense!

2. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

"I don't think I have enough guts to do this! I'm a pretty outgoing/say what's on my mind type of girl but I guess I'd feel like I'd be bothering designers or feel like I'm pushing myself on them."

I have done this and like starting a rapport with my fave designers. I think they like the feedback on their products. I have been asked by three designers to be on their team this way so I am all for it! Being honest and genuine is what matters though.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I'm going to add my 2 cents here, even though there's already a ton of great comments!

I think CTs have changed a lot since I began digi-scrapping a gazillion years ago. It used to be the "thing" to be on 10, 12, 15 CTs, and I think most people are a lot more selective these days. I definitely know I am. I agree with everyone who says being on a CT holds them accountable; I've always looked at CTs as a job in that I have responsibilities I have to meet in order to be on that team. So being on a CT sort of "allows" me to scrap because I need to meet my obligations, KWIM?

Regarding what I need from a CT besides free stuff - I need a little bit of flexibility. It just doesn't work for me to have super strict rules. So someone might be my all-time favorite designer, but if I have to create 2 different pages with every kit within 3 days of release, the restrictions aren't worth the free product. I like my designers to be active in their public and private forums, but that's not a deal breaker for me. Of course, free product is great, but for me it comes down to needing product that works with my style, from a designer I admire and can relate to. I like to know my designers I CT for.

And yes, I've contacted designers before to let them know I was interested in creating for them. I've had some that never responded, some who have said thanks but no thanks, and some who I'm still CTing for :) I've actually had a couple who have sought me out as well, which is a great feeling! I spent a lot of years doing the call/rejection dance, and a lot more years figuring out who I was as a scrapper and what my design style was. And I'm really happy with where I am right now. But it took a LONG time to get to that point!

Bottom line - it's okay to stretch yourself a bit if you're not sure what works for you yet, but you need to enjoy what you're scrapping with and who you're scrapping for.

4. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

totally agree-well said!

5. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

FYI, Julie BEGGED to be on my team.

It was embarrassing really.

6. jackieclayton

jackieclayton CT - Krista Sahlin

This might be a stupid question, but what are creative teams really? Is being part of a creative team involve graphic design work? does a creative team help the graphic designer make the kits and get a commission or do they just help promote the kits by making pretty layouts? How does that work with stores like this? I see "Pollywog" and "guest pollywog" but how does that work if its not with a particular designer? Sorry, i'm totally clueless on this... i'm fairly new in digital scrapbooking.

7. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

The creative team for a designer makes layouts (for the most part). The particular designer might have a member working with tutorials or blog posts if that designer has those activities on their blog/site. Some designers have so many CT's and so much product that they have a CT lead (think middle management for the many CT's). The lead's job is to make sure the CT's are meeting their requirements and to be the liasion with the designer. (I'm friends with the CT lead for Anna Aspnes).

Most digi sites also have a site specific CT, a group that does layouts for all the designers at the site. Here at the Lilypad, the site team are the Pollys. The Polly's also do other things besides making layouts like hosting the speed scraps and chats, writing posts on the Lilypad blog and a myriad of other behind the scenes tasks that they are asked to help with. Most sites have their own version of Pollys.

Some Pollys are also on some specific designers CT's and meet requirements for both tasks. Some CT members work with a few designers, some with more than a couple, some with several different sites.

Does that help any, Jackie??

8. mrs2a50

This is true. But I knew she was desperate to have me and didn't have the courage to ask, so I took one for the team. I'm a good person like that, always thinking of others.

9. mrs2a50

Actually, I think it was more along the lines of "So, can I work with your crap?" And P said, "I guess, if you think you can work with my crap." With a few other swear words thrown in.

10. abandy

abandy abandy

The information on here is just... wow. Amazing. Thanks so much everyone for coming out and giving your advice!

As far as site CTs go, like the Pollys, are those usually harder to get on? Do you just need to already be active within the site? Do sites, like the LilyPad, often hold "guest" calls, or is it more of an invite?

11. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I tried out several times for here and was rejected but I just kept on posting and creating and one day I got an invite. BEST. DAY. EVER.
    They do hold guest calls here. There was one not to long ago and they fill guest spots for so many months from that. There is also an opportunity to be a guest polly by completing all the challenges each month. Pretty awesome if you ask me. I don't know of anywhere else that offers that, but I also don't hang out anywhere else either lol.

12. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

Guest Polly calls are typically twice a year (the last 2 I remember were November and May) and they take a certain number per month. I believe the last Polly call was November but it's usually an "invite only" gig from my understanding.

13. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

You remembered! <tear wipe>

14. mrs2a50

Typically, store CTs are a bit harder to get on, for a couple of reasons. Most stores are really looking for active participants in their forums and galleries, so it just takes some time to establish yourself. Store CTs usually require a bit more as well, usually more pages than a single designer, or help with the blog, or challenges, or something along that line. And quite frankly, a lot of store CTs don't have people leave that often. Most of the Pollys have been here a long time. The Lilypad has held guest CT calls in the past, and by completing all 7 challenges in a month, you have a chance at a month spot as a Guest CT.

15. mrs2a50

Of course. It was the start of an annoying, name-calling, insult-throwing friendship. Best one I have :)

16. abandy

abandy abandy

Ok, another question, this time for designers or store "owners":

Say you're going to do a call-- what kind of information do you ask for? Links to gallery, samples of writing, blogs?
    Where do you post this call? At your favorite store? (yay, Lilypad!), send out a newsletter?

17. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Each owner, site and designer makes the decision on what kind of information they use for a call at their own discretion. This is question that would be better asked in the Industry Networking Forum at DST. Also, DST has a Calls forum, which would be the appropriate place to both post a call and do your research on what should be included.

18. abandy

abandy abandy

Awesome. I'm just trying to get my feelers out for so many things-- this is like a whole new world. Thanks for pointing me towards DST.

Now I want to try out for creative teams and so much more!

Thanks for all of the advice ladies-- this forum has been my favorite place lately!

19. jackieclayton

jackieclayton CT - Krista Sahlin

Stacy, thanks so much for explaining!! that helps a ton! I really didn't know what all went into it!

20. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I learn more and more every day, Jackie. Always feel free to ask questions!