completely intimidated

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by 1girl1boy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. listgirl

listgirl listgirl

I was feeling the same way. Honestly, being intimidated is why I have 3 months of Project Life unfinished in 2011. I looked at too much inspiration on the internet and started feeling my pages were not "good enough". I spent too much time looking at other people's albums instead of just spending time getting my own album done. Those are learnings that I plan to take to heart for my 2012 Project Life album.

I got an email newsletter from Ali Edwards yesterday that really encouraged me. In it, she talks about "creative practice". You only get good at anything when you practice, and take the time to actually do it.

She said, "It's easy to spend your "practice" time researching, reading, looking at images online, getting lost in other people's work and inspiration, etc. While I think there's definitely some value in that process, for me the real value is in actually doing/making/writing/photographing/etc. Don't spend all your practice time watching other people's practice."

So that's what I'm taking to heart this year so I can get my album done! :)

2. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

cristina, what printer do you have? my printer is OOOOLLLLDDDD and doesn't print great. or maybe i just need to get new ink. but reall, i'm not sure it will print true colors and such. so i'm nervous to use it. and it STINKS for photos if i remember correctly. it's been a long time since i've tried.

3. RebeccaH

not so super sure this is the best solution angie :giggle that could make or one interesting project life.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  4. mishou

mishou mishou

I'm a paper supply hoarder too. I never used to use my patterned papers because they were too pretty and I was too scared to ruin them. Being primarily a digi-scrapper I was terrified of scrapping a 12x12 paper layout. But with PL, your canvas is only 4x6 or 3x4. It's kind of hard to be intimidated by such a small size! So I dug into those papers finally and had a blast this week using my stash for PL. It feels good to know all that money I spent is finally getting put to use lol!

Not trying to convince you either way . . . just sayin' :whistle

5. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Ours is 4.5 years old, it's an HP Photosmart C7280 - it's a multi function printer (scanner+printer), and it works great for me. Paper is what makes the big difference in my experience. I use matte photo paper for hybrid and glossy for photos. I have been using Canon paper for a while and I love it - great price and great quality.

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am totally intimidated by PL too. Paper version anyway. I LOVE the idea of the binder and the small areas and the slip in page protectors. I even went to Michaels to look at their selection. They had no WRMK binders and they only had 12 x 12 slip in pages, so I didn't get anything. I knew I wouldn't need the whole PL kit because I am steadfastly a digi scrapper, but, then I started playing with the BYOC this month and the page I did with Val protectors was EXACTLY what I needed for that page. It was a collection of pictures that would have been hard to put all on the same page with my normal digiscrapping style, but I wanted them together and to journal about them together.

So my take on this project after seeing this month's BYOC is that I'm going to scrap like I normally do and use the PL format (digitally) mixed in with my regular pages where they work. Now I feel resolved in my indecision on whether i should do it or not. :)

7. liahra

liahra Active Member

this!

i'm doing it all digital as well. it's just my style. after all - i am a digiscrapper ;)
    and with this month's BYOC and that i just bought the full Clementine Digi Edt. by lili just makes me swooooon :wub

8. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

I definitely am feeling intimidated now that I have my first week mostly done. I wanted to use the BYOC because well I loved it but I have never in my life done hybrid and I was never even a paper scrapper before doing digi. I have always only done digi, but I knew I wanted to do something different for this because I don't print my pages. I have too many and just have never wanted to spend the little money I get on printing layouts so I wanted to do something tangible for once and see if the family gets into it or likes it... Once I started putting it all together today I kinda feel like I sucked so I didn't even take pics of it yet. I think we need to just quit worrying about what everyone else is doing and just document our own stories and photos and that is good enough. We can always go back and add embellishments if we need to right? *sigh*

9. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Me tooooo... lost, and uninspired...

10. RebeccaH

okay girls! i have unofficially completed week 1.... unofficially because i need to get some decorative tape to stick a few things down a bit more securely. but all of the content is in place, and the journaling is done. it's absolutely not fancy. it's just pictures, note cards, and words for the most part. i did use a smash pocket to hold a few notes from friends that we got in the mail this week. that was my only hint of creativity. still, it feels great to have it done, and it turned out better than i expected actually. i'll share pics tomorrow.

11. 1girl1boy

1girl1boy Miss Glee!

ok...well i'm glad to know i'm not alone. i really do love the idea of PL so I will at least attempt it. EEK!

12. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Yay! Can't wait to see! I am counting to get mine down tomorrow. Just missing the weekend at this point.

13. Vosslady2891

Vosslady2891 New Member

Does anyone have any great digital pocket scrapbooking tutorials or online classes they can suggest? I'm using Photoshop Elements 12 for the first time and having a hard time getting started. I thought I understood clipping masks, but i'm confused on how to use PNG files, how to add text, use brushes etc. I have so much fun stuff to use, but I don't know how to use it.

14. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

Hi & Welcome to the Lilypad!

I think you will get more replies to your question if you start a brand new thread. This is a thread from 3 years ago.

If you aren't able to start a new thread yet because you just joined, spend some time in the gallery leaving comments. That will help get your post count up. I think you need about 20 posts before you can start a new thread!

Good luck! :)

15. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

Welcome to TLP!!
    I agree with Melanie. There are lots of people here that are willing to help! Start a new thread with any questions. In the mean time check out this video tutorial for Jen about creating and using clipping masks.
    https://the-lilypad.com/forums/show...torial-Clipping-Masks?highlight=clipping+mask

You might also check out the tutorials here - https://the-lilypad.com/category/tutorials/