completely intimidated

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by 1girl1boy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. 1girl1boy

1girl1boy Miss Glee!

am i the only one who is completely intimated by the PL stuff? i mean...it's amazing and the stuff i've seen everyone create has been incredible. i just have no idea where to start. :helpy

2. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

Yes, I feel the same way, Leslie. I want to do it, but I am scared of it too.
    So, for this year, I am sticking with P365 again and hoping to add some digital project life-ish stuff in :)

3. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

First of all, you CAN do it. Both of you can. :)

Read this little excerpt from Jenny Meyerson's blog:
    Since I started Project Life only 7 months ago, it has gone from being big to being enormously popular. Every scrapbook designer is jumping on the bandwagon and that is great. I love the inspiration. But I have now had a 3rd email sent to me within a week from people saying they are so overwhelmed that they are reconsidering Project Life. I understand and the amount of inspiration can be creatively stimulating or can strangle you with envy, if you allow it. Keep in mind your reason for wanting to do Project Life in the first place. If it is to tell your story in a simple way then Project Life is for you. If you like to add pretty stickers, stitch, play with polaroids, then Project Life is for you too. In other words, make it your own and don’t give a rats patootie what anyone else is doing. Enjoy their work and then get back to your own business at hand, which is to live life to the fullest and tell your story. Adopt my new mantra: I do not have to be perfect to have something to offer.

4. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Oh, one more thing - I think all of the cool title pages floating out there on Pinterest do make it hard to get started. My suggestion is to jump in with the first week. Photograph, Document, Assemble. Do it for a few weeks until you get a feel for where your project is going stylistically. Then, jump back and do the cover/title page.

5. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

6. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Ummm... yeah! I sat there staring at my first page protector for a couple hours this week, trying to figure out how to use the kit, until I finally snapped out of it, got back to the computer and printed out stuff. :giggle I am definitely over-thinking it but it's the first week. I have to say, when I sit down with my pen and journaling cards to write down our little memories, my :beat couldn't be happier. I'm so, so happy to have jumped on the wagon! If you're on the fence, just give it a try and see what happens! :)

7. 1girl1boy

1girl1boy Miss Glee!

i think i would be a little less overwhelmed to try this purely digitally...at least at first. i love the BYOC so i guess i'll start there! Val's pockets should be a good place to start, no?

8. melwilson

melwilson New Member

I totally am too. I've never done anything like this. I spent a lot of time picking and ordering my supplies and not all of them are here yet. I don't feel like I have what I want yet to do the cover, so I'm pushing that aside for now. We had some eventful things happen in December (hubby returned from Afghanistan, birthday, etc.) so I want to do a few 2011 pages to get the hang of it. I'm planning on a hybrid book, but all the new BYOC stuffs were so great today, that I just decided to go digital until my other goodies arrive. I finished my first ever 365/PL-ish LO tonight. I'm not thrilled, but like it was said earlier I had to let go of some of my scrap insecurities. I'm doing these books for my kids, not my gallery. I say just do it for you. I have a 'cutesy' kind of style...not everyone likes that...BUT I DO! When it's all said and done, I'm telling myself that no one is going to critique my palette, design, and use of the white space in the years to come. But that's because they'll be laughing too hard at my clothes/hairstyles! :giggle
    here goes nothing (it's not even uploaded to my gallery yet)...
    [​IMG]
    it's all TLP stuff...kate hadfield, valorie wibbens, lauren reid, sahlin studio. I guess I'll go add it to my gallery now :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  9. Kate

Kate The Doctor's new companion

THIS!! I started a title page - and gave up very quickly, deciding to go back to it after I have been working on the album for a few weeks and have more of a feel of what I am doing. The core kits aren't available here yet so mine is going to be a real hodge podge of stuff and I'll just go with the flow and see what happens.

Oh, and I am almost ashamed to admit this, but I have stopped looking at Pinterest! *gasp* I don't need the extra pressure to make something fabulous when I am such a paper newbie :giggle

10. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

Glad to hear that I am not the only one. It is definitely overwhelming between all the inspiration, the big empty book and all the cards in the core kit. And since I haven't scrapped a paper page in awhile, or done any digital pages without a template, my creativity seems to be under lock and key. So I am going to work on my cover page in a couple weeks once I hit my stride with this project. And as far as the first week goes, well I have been doing a little here and there...getting photos ready to print, adding some journaling...but I feel like I have to wait for the first week to be over before I scrap it, which is kind of frustrating too.

11. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

I am! In fact, I didn't even consider PL until I saw Val's pockets in this month's BYOC. I love the thought and concept of PL, but I knew that attempting such a huge paper/hybrid project would just set me up for failure.

I love looking at the inspiration on Pinterest, but I'm taking a fairly simple approach of photos, journaling cards & very few elements. Two pages a week, except on "special" weeks (birthdays, vacations, big day trips like the zoo & Disney, and holidays) will get their own two page spread. Everything will have to be two pages to keep the look of the weeks cohesive in the album.

I'm also concentrating less on taking a photo a day and more on summing up the week as a whole. My weeks will run Monday-Sunday and I'll aim to complete layouts on Sunday night.

The biggest thing is to try so hard not to compare yourself to what people are doing. Like the blurb that Laura posted said, find what works for you and go with it. In the end, all that matters is that you're documenting this year for you and your family.

12. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

This is how I'm doing it too, Shannon! I think I will have the best success in completing this project if I don't have the stress about taking a picture every day as well. :)

13. Tracyfish

Tracyfish President of the not-so-clean plate club

I'm completely feeling this way right now, but I'm excited about it too. I have done P365/P52 digitally for the past 3 years and now I'm trying to go the paper Project Life route for a change. In my case, I had anxiety about little things like rounding corners. Pinterest actually helped me figure out what kind of style I wanted to do. Now I just can't wait for today to be over so I can get my first week done. I already know I'll be doing a little bit digitally since I can't get that out of my head.

14. Cristina

So true!!

15. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

16. Angie4b1g

I was thinking of just buying the page protectors and using up my current HOARD of long-neglected paper scrapping supplies. But I don't know. It seems so overwhelming. Here's my current "issues". LOL

-I don't want to invest a ton on page protectors and albums if I'm not going to end up seeing it through.

-I'm concerned that I won't be able to deal emotionally with it not all fitting in one album. (Never said I was sane.)

-There's no decent local photo printing service, so I either have to drive 20 min to pick up my pics, or order them online... so I will be perpetually weeks behind. Not good for my ADHD mind.

-I feel like the digital P365 stuff I do will last longer than paper will. ? I dunno.

Having said all that... I love the idea of being able to use some of this stuff, and I love that I can stick receipts and packaging and other little tidbits in there. That's something I'd love to have if my grandmother had done it. But I just don't know. lol

And every time you guys post a page you've made it just makes me want to do it MOREEEEE. You aren't helping with your cuteness. Haha.

:helpy

17. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

i feel overwhelmed. i'm the kind of girl who sees big-picture great but details suphocate me. so i'm stuck on how to stick the stupid pictures into the page protectors. like what sizes to get printed. or where am i gonna put the cards. how dumb is this?

plus, now i feel doubly overwhelmed. i THOUGHT i had set my mind on doing my PL with the paper clementine kit. but now that i've seen all the jan byoc stuff, i'm DYING. paper stuff makes me feel so limited because i got rid of all my 'creative' supplies a long time ago. i have no cute alpha stamps. nothing to fancy it up if i should choose. and the digi stuff is just SO cute! *sigh* i don't know what to do.

18. Angie4b1g

Lets just go get drunk, Rebecca. Seems like the only answer at the moment.

19. Cristina

I think you already have your answer! :) Is there a way you can print your photos at home?

I don't have a paper stash either since I never paper scrapped, and the way I am getting around it is printing some hybrid stuff and building my stash that way! I too have the Clementine kit, but I will use it more as a filler. I love to print out hybrid goodies. It is just so easy to change colors. Plus my mindset is digi so I find it easier to work from the computer than directly with paper. You definitely should print the BYOC goodies out! I already printed out several journaling cards by Val and Lauren, and I am keeping them ready to use when I feel like it.

20. Angie4b1g

You mean with one of my 2 photo printers? Well don't you just make it sound so easy. LOL