Any runners?

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by KarenC, Nov 21, 2011.

1. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

I've been trying for my first 5k. I was with in a few weeks and then tripped and fell last month (non running related.) I ran (very slowly!) today and it finally felt good again. I'm so happy! But now it's cold and I'm determined to keep going. Any tips on cold weather running and maybe a link to your favorite jacket? Thanks and I hope to meet some other scrappin runners! :)

2. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

i run and its really cold here too. My limit is -25 F. I layer a lot and my outer layer is a running room jacket that really stops the wind, then a polar fleece, then a long sleeve wicking shirt. Mitts, not gloves, running room winter running pants & their double socks and running shoes. I wear a baseball hat & headband and a neck warmer.

3. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Heather! :)

I tried a soft shell ski type jacket today and it was too much once I got warmed up. I think I need to look for a lighter top layer.

4. Heather Prins

yeah layers are the way to go for sure. Also keep a record of the temp and what you wore throughout the year so when next year rolls around you can refer back! That helped me a lot!

5. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Oh, that's a great idea. :)

6. amyjaz

amyjaz amyjaz

I am training for my first 6k that is in two weeks! I ran 3 miles two weeks ago, but didn't get my butt out there last week. I am lacing up again today though. I have been running only since September, but I love how it makes me feel. I feel healthy, and I lost all my baby weight from my daughter that was born one year ago. Now I'd like to continue losing weight because- hey, why not? Let's see how far I can go!

I don't have great tips for cold weather running because I live in Arizona! When I started running in September, it was still over 100 degrees out when I ran. Talk about sweating!

7. renee82

renee82 renee82

I started running a little over 2.5 years ago. I LOVE IT! It's such a stress reliever for me and as Amy said it helped me lose a lot of that lingering baby weight. I ran my first 10km race back in June in just under an hours which is what I was aiming for. I then had signed up for a half-marathon but due to injured sciatic joints (probably too much too soon), I wasn't able to participate. I've been sidelined since July and just started back again last week. It's slower going but I know if no time soon I will be back at it. I broke down and bought a treadmill last week too because it's so darned cold here and I know I'll break a limb soon if I run during the winter outside. I'm such a clutz! lol! I like to hibernate during the winter so getting out there to run in the frigid cold is not very motivating plus it's so darned dark where I live since there are very few street lights... :)

8. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Yay, Amy! That's terrific. I think hot weather might be harder than cold? I know the heat really sucked the life out of me. As soon as it cooled off I easily added another mile. I was running 3 1/4 before I fell. I think I did a slow two today, but it felt good. I really missed it.

9. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Renee, Congrats on the 10K! I'd love to do that some day...If I can ever get a 5K under my belt, lol. I hate the cold, too. I think I can keep it up unless there is ice. I for sure don't want to fall again!

10. Heather Prins

i have a really hard time running in warm weather, i like it cool, not 25 below mind you , but cooler fall temps and rainy days are my favourite!

11. tanbanan

tanbanan New Member

I'm a runner too. . . . have been since 2004. But, I have to admit, that I'm a fair weather runner. I don't do much outdoor running in the winter in Utah. Maybe if I had some great layers. I have to say that if my hands and head are warm, I'm pretty good to go~

Good luck with your 5K Karen~ I finally completed my 1st (and maybe only!) Marathon this year. It feels good to finally say I've accomplished that one! Each mile towards your goal is important~ so keep running!

12. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your Marathon!! Wow! That is such an accomplishment.

I've been running for 4 years and it was just this year that I came to realize that I LOVE it!

13. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I have a couple light nylon jackets and then a couple thicker fleece ones, nothing overly expensive. I like Target for running stuff. Or Marshalls and TJ Maxx have good stuff too.

My rule of thumb is that I dress as if it were 20 degrees warmer and I wasn't running. So if it's 30, I ask myself how warmly I'd dress for a 50 degree day that I wasn't running. It works pretty well. Obviously if it's cold and windy, I dress a bit warmer than the 20 degree rule.

14. amyjaz

amyjaz amyjaz

Thanks Karen! I don't have experience running in really cold weather so I can't really say which is harder, but I know as soon as the weather dropped from over 100 down to like the 80s, I shaved a full minute off my fastest pace instantaneously. Right now it's in the 70s when I run, and I think that is perfect.

I'm sorry to hear about your injury- that stinks. I hate injuries. But so glad to hear you got back out there today, because getting out there after a break or an injury is hard!

Oh- and since my last post....I got my butt up and went running and.... COMPLETED MY FIRST 5k!! I can't believe I went from barely being able to run a mile to running 5k in just 2 months. I never thought that I would be able to accomplish this (I have always, always, always hated running my entire life). I would LOVE to set my sights on the Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon in January of 2013 (there's no way that's happening in 2012).

15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am signed up for a 5K on Thursday. I fear I may die! LOL! I've been sorta training, but I know not enough. I'll finish it if it kills me, but it ain't going to be pretty! :)

16. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Congrats, Amy, on your first 5K!

Karen, I hope it goes well for you! :)

I'm going to try and find one after Thanksgiving. Not sure if I'll be able too. I was so sad that I missed mine.

17. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Angie! I need to look at Target again.

18. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

Another tip: Gloves and a hat or fleece headband. If you can keep your head and hands warm, the rest of you will be fairly warm. I buy a ton of the $1 gloves, so that I can throw them out if I get warm after the first couple miles. I never actually DO, but that's the idea. I usually end up carrying them home. lol

Today it's 38 for my run and I'm wearing capri length leggings, a long sleeved tech shirt, and a nylon jacket. I'll probably end up tying the jacket around my waist after a mile or so.

It's easy to over dress.

19. judet

judet Active Member

Thanks for the great tips Angie :)

I'm a lapsed runner. I got up to managing about 5 miles or so, struggle with 3 now. Really annoyed with myself to be honest, I just really struggle to push myself out the door. I always get vicious cramps in my calves as well which makes it hard.

20. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Great tips, Angie. Thank you!