March 2023 - Week 3 - Junk Journal

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by ArmyGrl, Mar 21, 2023.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Welcome to the March Week 3 – Monthly Muse – Junk Journaling!​

This is such an exciting month where:​

We DARE you to EMBRACE play!!

WE DARE YOU to develop your talent.
    WE DARE YOU to create something new.
    WE DARE YOU to evolve your art.
    WE DARE YOU to challenge yourself.

WE DARE YOU TO EMBRACE Change.
    WE DARE YOU TO EMBRACE New ways of thinking.
    WE DARE YOU TO EMBRACE Your fear of trying something new.
    WE DARE YOU TO EMBRACE The uncertainty.​

For week three, your challenge is to make a digital or hybrid Junk Journal. You are welcome to use a template or make your Junk Journal from scratch. The key thing we are striving to achieve this week is to make a layout that resembles an opened or closed Junk Journal.

What’s a Junk Journal you ask?

A Junk Journal is a HANDMADE book of recycled and found materials, bits of scrap paper or unused paper bits. It is up-cycling at its art journaling finest. The Junk Journal is composed of stuff that would otherwise be thrown away – JUNK! Or, all those papers you do not want to throw away but are lying unused in a junk drawer. This handmade book may be made from scrap paper, bits of ephemera, old book pages, junk mail, lace, fabric, and ribbons.

The beauty of a Junk Journal is that pages already have “something” on them. This helps break the fear of the “blank page” staring back at you. Once assembled, the Junk Journal is not complete. The pages are waiting for you to fill them with mixed media and art journaling.

Over the years I have made several Junk Journals.

The first one is thick, chunky, and very junky! It’s the Capital J in Junk. It is made from an old composition book in which I glued scrapbooking paper to each page. Inside is a collection of paper-pieced collages, random fliers (like the Women’s History Month flier) and inspirational magazine clippings. I also adhered envelopes and bits of ephemera like tickets and stickers to the pages. Many bright and colorful “blank” pages remain. This Junk Journal is over a decade old. It is sturdy and lasted through many moves.

1 JunkJournal.JPG

Below is my most recent Junk Journal. While I think the red and grey cover is snazzy, the inside is just as junky as my other Junk Journals. This book is being filled up with pictures, collage, and art journaling. It’s a safe place to practice art journal techniques. Since the book is “junk” there is no need to fear mistakes or ugly art. Just play!

2 RedGreyJunkJournal.JPG

So, now that you have an idea of what a Junk Journal is (a handmade book full of junk), you may be wondering, how in the world do I create one in digital fashion?

Inspired by the layers and layers of stacked paper, I’ve created layouts with a Junk Journal look. Here are two examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I typically begin this kind of layout by making a template. I think of the base layer as what the book is sitting on. The next layer is the outer cover of the book. Then I add rectangular shapes that will be the pages. After I get a couple of “pages” I begin clipping papers to them and add soft shadows. I typically tilt or cant the papers to get a messy look too.

3 PageBuilder.jpg

4 JunkJournal_1.jpg

Next, I insert bits of ephemera, journal cards, and labels between the pages to build up bulk.

5 JunkJournal_2.jpg

Satisfied with the bulk, I move on to the “opened” pages and develop my focal point or message. Sometimes I simulate the look of a transparency by lowering the opacity of a light-colored paper – here I lowered opacity to 52%. I kept my Junk Journal simple, but you can add bulky items to a junk journal. So, feel free to add as many elements as you’d like to your digital Junk Journal. And besides, in digital format, your only limitation is your creativity!

[​IMG]

Making a template from scratch not your thing? No worries. Be sure to visit *Traveler’s Notebook Templates* under the Template category in the store. You’ll find lots of templates that can serve as the base of your Junk Journal.

6 Templates.JPG

Monthly Muse Challenge Rules and Guidelines:

1. For the Monthly Muse, you must create a new layout for this challenge. You may create any style of layout that mimics a Junk Journal (i.e., clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.), with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. The Art Muse is for everyone. Have FUN!

2. Be sure to follow gallery guidelines when posting (at least 50% current TLP product).

3. Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE by Midnight, EST 02 April 2023. And post your layout in this thread by copying the "Share BB Code" to the right of your gallery image.

Each post, regardless of the week posted in the month of March earns you one chance to win a $5 coupon to the TLP store. Thus,

1 Muse = 1 chance to win
    2 Muses = 2 chances to win
    3 Muses = 3 chances to win
    4 Muses = 4 chances to win

4. March, Week 3: Create a Junk Journal. You can simulate the look with a digital layout. The “book” can be open or closed. You may go hybrid this month and create a Junk Journal using TLP papers, templates, or pre-made Junk Journals (input Junk Journal into the store search engine and see what comes up!).

Can’t wait to see your Junk Journal interpretations!

P.S. I'll be back ASAP with a hybrid mini-junk journal I made.

umyesh, Thuria and Annsofie like this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oooh! Fun! I love junk journals! I might have to go dig through the recycling bin and make something fun this week! I'm eager to see your mini-junk journal. Are you familiar with Rae Missigman? She makes the coolest little journals that she calls pocket journals... https://www.instagram.com/p/CnPEQkKLEK5/

3. ArmyGrl

@Karen Very. Familiar with Rae Missigman! She has a signature color palette that’s :love

Karen likes this.
  4. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Wow, her work is spectacular!

And, of course, our very own Anja of A Whimsical Adventure has amazing junk journal supplies in her shop

designbylime and ArmyGrl like this.
  5. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you Lisa for this challenge!
    My page but I'm not used to making a junk journal !

[​IMG]

designbylime and dawnmarch like this.
  6. ArmyGrl

Posted this in the hybrid thread too...

julianz and Karen like this.
  7. ArmyGrl

I hope this is one of the good things about the Monthly Muse - getting folks to making something a little different.

Your JJ is brilliant and perfect!

8. Thuria

Thuria Well-Known Member

Thanks for this challenge! (maybe I'm repeating, but I'm so happy to have discovered this section "Art Journaling"! It's so much fun! Thanks!)
    [​IMG]

scribler, ArmyGrl and caapmun like this.
  9. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

10. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

I work with A4. Template is my own. Love this challenge.
    [​IMG]

11. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

OK, I'm going to ask what is potentially a really dumb question. I'm fascinated by junk journals and even go so far as to collect scraps that I think could be used in them BUT what is the point of them? What is their purpose? Do they tell a story, have a theme or are they 'just because' for having fun.
    I guess I made a mini junk journal a couple of years ago - it was all things from Christmas with some photos added stuck onto pages I'd cut and 'rubber banded' into an empty notepad cover. Since then I've struggled to bring myself to sit down and play without a purpose or specific end in mind.

Would love to hear how others approach them.

12. ArmyGrl

Yay!!!! That makes my heart happy. It is lots of fun to create - just for the act of creating. :beat

Thuria likes this.
  13. ArmyGrl

All the above :giggle

The artist determines the purpose.
    Some use their Junk Journal (JJ) as an art journal - a place to make art.
    Some use their JJ as a journal - a place to record thoughts, like a diary.
    Some go with a theme - the JJ can become a travel journal or garden planner.
    Some use their JJ as a scrapbook - a place to add photos and memories.

The Junk Journal can stand on its own as a work of art. It could be something that sits on a coffee table, or gifted to a family member (especially if it becomes a scrapbook). As a journal, it can be something private (a diary) or a place to explore art techniques. I typically use mine as an art journal - a place to practice art techniques or add ephemera I find inspirational.

umyesh likes this.
  14. Thuria

Thuria Well-Known Member

Exactly!

15. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I love all the photos of your junk journals Lisa!

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh it's awesome! So full of fun goodies! And I loved hearing your voice. :agree

17. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you for the fun muse. This helped me de-stress this afternoon, and used some recent additions to my stash.
    [​IMG]

dawnmarch likes this.
  18. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I love Junk Journaling. One summer my granddaughter and I did one each using the alphabet - we had so much fun looking for things for each letter (for W we used bits of washi tape to lay down the base). This digital version of a junk journal spread uses the subject matter of the Wolf Moon (got this idea from A Whimsical Adventure's Wolf Moon kit)
    [​IMG]

julianz likes this.
  19. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

ooooo - this one is a CHALLENGE to me. I collage - I don't do junk journals!!! (now to do it paper, hybrid, or digi!!!!!)

20. ArmyGrl

I love themes such as the alphabet!!! For me, themes help me finish a project.