March 2023 Book Club - The Last Green Valley

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yahoo! We have another round of voting completed and we have another batch of great books to read together. After voting was complete we were able to narrow the list down a little bit. :giggle We did end up having a THREE way tie for the last book, so I'm going to go ahead and add a couple extras to our list! :D

The book for March is The Last Green Valley by Mark Sullivan. Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers. We have a new trick for hiding spoilers. Type whatever you want and then highlight the spoiler portion and click the + button above and select Spoiler. If that doesn't work (seems to be funky on Macs) just highlight your text and change the color to white >>>This is a super secret spoiler alert!<<< like I did right there.

The Valley is actually purple!

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone is welcome to join in with our book club reading at any time and join in the discussion! The more the merrier! :agree Happy reading!

2. Karen

I just finished this one a few days ago and it was SO good! I also read Beneath a Scarlet Sky by this same author and really enjoyed that one too, but this one was even better in my opinion. And I learned something while reading this book, so that was a bonus. I love reading the author's notes about this too and how he really wanted to write a story about WW2 that was different and how he heard about this story from someone in the same town as the family that told him about the story in his first book. What are the odds?

3. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

Well, I've got all the books so far on hold or checked out except for this one -- not in the library. But it is on Kindle Unlimited, which I'm letting go on pause for a bit the end of the month. So, I guess I'll start with this one.

Karen likes this.
  4. Karen

I hope you like it and get it finished before you pause your unlimited. :agree

elseepe likes this.
  5. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I'm SOOO sad that our library doesn't have this one- not on audio at least- I'll have to check out the actual book, as it's been on my to-read list for a long time!

Karen likes this.
  6. tiffany scraps

tiffany scraps still plays outside

I really enjoyed this one. So much I didn't know about the history of these people. Very inspiring too. Thanks for the recommendation.

Karen likes this.
  7. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I am only about half-way through -- I might not finish it this month. Usually, I'm pretty quick to read through a book, but this one is taking longer. Definitely has made me think about the turmoil that has been frequent in the region. I used to read a lot of historical fiction but it has been a while.

Karen likes this.
  8. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

The Martel's story is full of faith, hope, and resilience. I always love reading about another aspect of World War 2 and its aftermath. The Martel's flee Stalin's Ukraine and seek refuge in Germany. The pacing seemed off throughout, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Karen likes this.