Stress | Pad Patter 3-7-23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, Mar 7, 2023.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

How do you handle stress?

DH's car was on it's way to a slow death. We went to go get a new to us car over the weekend. Costs I didn't want. Ugh. We did get a good deal, but feel like we should have gone even lower, lol! (He got a fancy car, lol! His car is so fancy, and mine feels so rugged - Audi/Jeep)

Senior son is now planning things for prom, and some of his grades suck. We are waiting on 3 more colleges then will decide (one is his first choice. He got into 5 others, so he has choices). Need to plan graduation party. Ugh.

Freshman son is picking classes for next year. School is boring. I think it's cause he's smart and it's not challenging. He refuses to try AP/Honors items. He lacks motivation.

Work is nutty, and new systems for some of our vendors mean new codes, and processed. I'm stressing big time. I was out a day and the back up is SO MUCH FUN (sarcasm). No one fills in for my job when I'm out.

We want to plan a vacation with the family before senior son goes away. :( and :)

I think I'm just quietly freaking out. I don't know how to process some of these things. Ugh.
    Someone tell me a joke? lol!

bestcee, LoveItScrapIt and umyesh like this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

umm.....panic! seriously I don't handle extreme stress well or any stress for that matter.

jk703 likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Retirement. Not a whole lot of stress these days.

tjscraps and elseepe like this.
  4. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

With bad coping mechanisms?! :giggle

I generally internalize stress which makes my anxiety come out full-force. If it's stressful enough, it will also activate my depression.

"Normal" stress causes me to overeat (although my new Ozempic scrip is helping curb this!), social media binge, and/or not leave the house for a day or two.

5. jk703

I think I tend to stick my head in the sand, but there is a tornado in my brain. I just don't deal well, and procrastinate longer.

6. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

How I handle stress:
    [​IMG]

Laura ODonnell, Sara, KarenC and 2 others like this.
  7. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

My stress habit is biting my lip; it makes for a very sore mouth!

As for a joke...

How do you catch a unique rabbit? :bunny

You 'neak up on it! :agree

G.J. likes this.
  8. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Um, I tend to hold it in, then blow up over something incredibly stupid ... not a good habit.

9. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

1. A group of chess enthusiasts checked into a hotel and were standing in the lobby discussing their recent tournament victories. After about an hour, the manager came out of the office and asked them to disperse. “But why?” they asked, as they moved off. “because,” he said “I can’t stand chess nuts boasting in an open foyer.”

Laura ODonnell, LynnG, Karen and 3 others like this.
  10. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Well yay for him....I'm still holding strong on NOT getting another just yet.....but when I do...it's gonna be fancy too. lol

SAME for me....no one to fill in for me and I can't hardly take off a couple of hours for a dr. appt. GEESH!!

jk703 likes this.
  11. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

Sloth Mode Activated-motto for retirees

LynnG, HavaDrPepper and Memaw2Wm like this.
  12. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

The thing that really helps me with stress is working out. The one thing I don't want to do when I'm stressed is to work out. :huh

bestcee, Memaw2Wm, LynnG and 2 others like this.
  13. ninigoesdigi

ninigoesdigi Designer

+ 1 :giggle

tanteva and jk703 like this.
  14. jk703

HA! I had a hearty laugh over this answer! :giggle

Sara likes this.
  15. jk703

I'm jealous of the retirees.... one day, lol! No stress sounds divine. Not possible with my teens!

LynnG likes this.
  16. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

There are some days where I feel I am stuck in a state of fight-or-flight. Some seasons, even. I do my best to weather this with breath control, listening to music, venting to my person, prayer. And yes, some days I fall into the mindless eating or doom scrolling thing. But when I am intentional with my stress-relief tactics, it *does* help. At least a little. Also the older I get the more I realize that there really will always be *something* life throws my way and that everyone is going through IT in some way. In some weird way that helps a little to remember that. The whole try-not-to-fret-too-much-about-things-outside-my-sphere-of-influence thing. But I internalize stress a lot more than is healthy. Haha

(hugs) for all feeling the heavy of stress these days.

Oh! A joke! This one is from my 8 y/o:

Q: What does the horse say when someone new moves in across the street?
    A: Welcome to the NEIGHborhood

(you really have to sell it with the neigh)

bestcee, G.J., Memaw2Wm and 2 others like this.
  17. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I forgot to tell a joke:
    What's brown and sticky?

A stick.
    Yes, I found that on an actual joke website.

Memaw2Wm and jk703 like this.
  18. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I’m one of those fortunate ones to be retired now, so not a lot of stress now that I’ve got the move and such behind me.

one of the things I noticed when I was still working (fairly high stress, lots of deadlines and problem solving) was that when I practiced yoga, I was able to handle my reaction to the stress better.

I believe other forms of exercise help too, it’s a way of taking the mind off of that endless to do list.

oh, and sending one off to college is a different can of worms. We send them knowing we did all we could to prepare them to be independent, but still craving to take care of them. This one was sooo much harder than any work stress, but we all made it out the other side.

Memaw2Wm, LynnG and jk703 like this.
  19. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I totally relate to your stress...at least about the college/graduation thing. We haven't even ordered announcements yet and DS won't let me take any pictures or have them taken to put on them. He is still undecided about college and waiting for his first choice and some financial aid/scholarship offers. He has 5 or 6 acceptances so, like yours, he does have some options, fortunately. I'm glad you mentioned graduation party because I didn't even have that on my radar. On top of that, I'm about to go into my busiest time at work. I am a huge procrastinator and I think I mostly deal with stress by ignoring it until I can't anymore and then run around like a crazy woman.

20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh my goodness! You sure a LOT of your plate! Sorry about all of the stress and believe me I can relate to a lot of it! I had that super stressful overwhelming senior year last year. This year is a break and then I have to do it all again next year. The first senior is the worst though because it's all new stuff and I felt like I was constantly behind or missing something and we had no idea what we were doing. Lol. I promise you that it will all work out and you will be able to just breathe again soon! I hated the feeling of being out of control over so many things all at once! And what you said about so much to process is so accurate! SO much to process! My advice is to make lists of everything and DELEGATE!

Did you hear about the fire at the circus?

I was in tents! :giggle

LynnG and jk703 like this.