Do you garden? | Pad Patter 3.04.23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by ArmyGrl, Mar 4, 2023.

1. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Do you garden? Not great at it.
    If yes, what do you grow? I do love planting pansies come winter time. My agapanthus is doing well and the lemon tree bears loads of lemons. Orchids grow well on my kitchen window sill.
    Do you have a big garden, small garden, or do container gardening? It's a medium size for our area. Front garden has a small lawn and flower bed, back garden has the patio, pool, lawn and some drought resistant type flowers. But there is a lot of sandy soil too. It's for the cats.

2. frutselke

frutselke I belong among the wildflowers...

We have a garden and I love it. It's not big, about 10m2 at the front and 30m2 at the back of the house. I must admit I am a very lazy gardener. I like the 'nature knows best' approach.
    I live in quite a built up area. So I want my garden to be a haven for wildlife. We have lots of plants that offer food and shelter for birds and insects. No need to weed, because empty spaces are filled with ground covering plants. Wild flowers can stay so they can feed bees and other insects. I let leaves and other plantmaterial sit in the garden as it helps to keep the soil from drying out and protects the planst against frost. And all of that means I hardly have to do any work in the garden. Pruning the fruittrees and buddleia is the only really big job.
    We have a combination of flowers and fruit. My lazy gardening style doens't work with vegetables. There's an appletree in the front garden and raspberries and a cherrytree in the backgarden. At the moment crocuses and daffodils are flowering all over the garden. I love this time of year. The garden becomes a little greener every day.

3. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Do you garden? Yes, but nearly as much as I should. I have this vision of myself as a gardener, but the fact is, I’m too lazy to actually realize my vision :D. Gardening takes work (all of that weeding and watering!), and then there are all of those critters (deer, squirrels, chipmunks, skunks, birds) who come along and help themselves to whatever you are growing…

If yes, what do you grow? I grow several kinds of tomatoes, along with some herbs: basil, coriander, dill, oregano, parsley (both flat and curly). Last summer I grew some yellow beans, and they were delicious. The summer before, I attempted to grow cucumbers, but the local animals would just eat them off the vine…

Do you have a big garden, small garden, or do container gardening? I have a couple of small garden patches in a large back yard, and I also grow herbs in containers.

4. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

I used to have two raised garden beds that I built with bricks etc. at my house but I live in town and there are so many stray cats that kept using them as a litter box. I tried so many things including sticking a bunch of plastic forks in it but nothing kept it out. All that work and I couldn't use anything :( When my kids were in elementary and middle school I did a garden at their school and we donated a lot of the items to community in need. I obviously stopped doing that when my kids graduated from there. So, I currently do not. I would like to again if we lived somewhere else.

5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've dabbled a bit. I planted a honeysuckle bush last summer, that was it. For years before that, when we lived on the coast, I had a two tiered garden with lots of bushes. I planted tulips, roses, irises and others I forget the names of. I grew tomatoes in 5 gallon pails for a few summers. They were easy to grow, just had to be watered every morning. I think I burned out on deadheading so many bushes every year that now that we have moved, I don't want to do any gardening.

6. Lime

Lime Active Member

I've gardened my whole life -- even as a kid. When I got married we bought a house with 2 acres, but about 1/3 of an acre was lawn under closely growing trees my husband didn't want to mow around, so I made a woodland wildflower garden (no grass). Right now I'm awaiting a few of my earliest daffodils to bloom in time to take them to the National Daffodil Convention in Atlanta where I will exhibit them.

ArmyGrl likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am rather notorious as NOT having a green thumb, but I still do try occasionally. Lol. Mostly I have flowers that I put in pots in our fenced in backyard. I've also done veggies a couple times. I really like to do a container garden for salsa best because then I can look forward to fresh salsa at the end of the summer.

We also have LOTS of deer in our area, so I am thankful for the fenced in backyard to keep them away. They think my front landscaping is their own personal snack bar too. I ate ALL my black eyed susans and are now working on the hostas I planted two year ago. Sigh. :giggle

8. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I buy lots of mini pumpkins - didn't think to grow them. Hmmm....need to add that to my "to grow" list.

umyesh likes this.
  9. ArmyGrl

:rollin

tjscraps likes this.
  10. ArmyGrl

Sounds like it was a little slice of heaven!

11. ArmyGrl

Wow! I hope you get pictures and share them in layouts.

Lime likes this.
  12. ArmyGrl

[​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  13. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Just make sure you till so you don't get squash bugs! And beware that the vines take over EVERYTHING. ;)

14. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

A little bit. But I wouldn't call myself a gardener...I want to be though.

We have a raised garden. But mostly my kids and hubby are in charge of it. 2 years ago we sort of gave the kids free range to plant what they wanted and take care of it...it's funny because they've done better than my hubby and me. We've found that we are best at growing peppers, squash, and cucumber. We did plant blueberry bushes a couple of years ago but the deer get to them. We've got to get netting or something. I do some containers on my porch: tomatoes and herbs mostly.

ArmyGrl likes this.
  15. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I do not. I'm not a messy/outside type of gal. :giggle

However, my fiance is going to plant a veggie garden for us this year so I'm looking forward to all the yummy food we'll get to have this summer & fall.

16. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

Do you garden? Yes, lots of flowers for bee, butterflies and other insects.
    If yes, what do you grow? Flowers for the above. This year it will also include lots of herbs since I'm going to make producs for my autoimmune sickness, mostly for medicine uses but also beauty products and of course for food.
    Do you have a big garden, small garden, or do container gardening? I've a tiny garden but I love it, I also have some at the front of my house where there also will be tons of new flowers this year.

17. ArmyGrl

I love this!!! We are gonna start with some veggies this year, but I wanna have a bee and butterfly garden in the future. We live amongst old growth Oaks and Hickory....so lots of shade everywhere limiting full sun options.

designbylime likes this.
  18. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

They don't need so much sun but they do need flowers :)

19. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

Do you garden? Yes I love to be outside planting and pottering around in the garden.
    If yes, what do you grow? I have three raised beds in my garden and in them I have roses, alliums, tulips and crocuses at the moment. I am planning on adding some more summer flowering bulbs over next few weeks.
    Do you have a big garden, small garden, or do container gardening? I would stay we have a medium sized garden, it is mainly patio but around the outside my husband has built me three larger planters. I also have pots in the garden on the patio as well.

20. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Only in my mind…
    My parents would be so ashamed