Name Meanings | Pad Patter 3.5

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Mar 5, 2023.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Today is Learn What Your Name Means Day! I think I've probably looked up the meaning of my name in the past, but I did it again today because I couldn't remember. Most places it says "God's Grace" or "God is Gracious".

I don't think I have ever really looked up the meaning of my children's names, I just kind of chose them all, so it was fun to do theirs...
    #1 DS - Mountain of Strength (so perfect for him!)
    DD - Traveling at Sea (suits her very well)
    #2 DS - Good Fortune or Luck (time will tell haha)

Do you know the meaning of your name? If you have children, did you choose their names by meaning or know the meaning?

LoveItScrapIt and umyesh like this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Jennifer

From a Cornish form of the Welsh name Gwenhwyfar (see Guinevere). This name has only been common outside of Cornwall since the beginning of the 20th century, after it was featured in George Bernard Shaw's play The Doctor's Dilemma (1906). It barely ranked in the United until the late 1930s, when it began steadily growing in popularity, accelerating into the early 1970s. It was the most popular name for girls in America between 1970 and 1984, though it was not as common in the United Kingdom.

Theresa (my mum's name)

From the Spanish and Portuguese name
    Teresa . It was first recorded as Therasia, being borne by the Spanish wife of Saint Paulinus of Nola in the 4th century. The meaning is uncertain, but it could be derived from Greek θέρος (theros) meaning "summer", from Greek θερίζω (therizo) meaning "to harvest", or from the name of the Greek island of Therasia (the western island of Santorini).

I knew about the origins of my name but I didn't know the origins of my mum's name - so fascinating!

IntenseMagic and umyesh like this.
  3. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Do you know the meaning of your name?
    No I did not so I looked it up.

Meaning:advisor
    Monica is a feminine name of Latin origin greatly associated with acts of service. As love language goes, Monica is the figure primed to help and advise—a trait only invigorated by the beloved Friends series. But before the famed fictional chef transformed Monica into a synonym for practicality and caregiving, its meaning stood simply as "advisor." Though an altogether fitting meaning for many millennials, the name's most revered representative is the mother of Augustine of Hippo, Saint Monica. Her devotion and care is the very thing that turned the greatest saint from a life of absolute self-destruction, forever cementing Monica as the ultimate caregiver.

If you have children, did you choose their names by meaning or know the meaning?
    Nope. We just chose names we liked. :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

My name is a no-brainer

Carol = Joyful song

Meaning:Joyful song. Carol is a gender-neutral name of English origin. This name, meaning "joyful song," will be music to the ears of a parent who is passionate about all-things song and dance! A carol is a traditional folk song or hymn, often with religious significance.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

My father named me after his mother. And though I never met my paternal grandmother Mary Catherine Lahey, who died about 5 years before I was born, I bear her name and cherish the connection.

I named my son James after my first Ireland-to-Canada emigrant ancestor, who arrived in Upper Canada about 1821.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I used to know many years ago but had forgotten. So I looked it up. Yup, that was it. Rene (French) means reborn. And, my middle name of Ann means Grace.

Mom always said Dad named me, gave her no choice and I was named after his French girlfriend. Whether his reason was true, who knows. He did serve in the Navy and was in the Mediterranean so he may have met a French girl and liked her name. Dad let her pick the spelling of it and the middle name. Evidently these days the spelling I use is "unisex". It should be spelled Renee for a girl with an accent over the 2nd to last e. Mom chose to use the accent but forget the last e. She fought the nuns for 9 days about how it should be on the hospital birth certificate. With the advent of computers, I just use Rene' since not all fonts can handle the accent the way it should be.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

My name means "feminine form of Michael" -- which is my brother's name so I've always joked that we have the same name (but I was born 3 years earlier, so I was named first!) -- and Michael means "who is like god," which I had to look up because I forgot. None of us were named for meanings. My mom said she just liked the names. She wasn't a Beatles fan. She was a Barry Manilow and Paul Anka fan, if anything (she rarely listened to music). Also, my parents were not religious; I wonder if they even knew the meaning of Michael.

Likewise, I chose names for my kids that I liked the sound of. Though I did read about meanings after I chose names, I didn't put much stock in them; it was just for fun. The important thing to me was picking out uncommon names for them. After a few decades of sharing my common name with so many other people, I hoped I could help my kids feel more unique. Then it turned out not to matter because as they grew up and figured out who they are, two of them, so far, changed their names. My middle, who changed their name at age 15, several years ago, said they just liked the sound of it; no interest in the meaning. And likewise, my oldest is currently in the process of changing their name to a fancy word for a shade of blue. I think they were thinking more about what would sound good on stage than about meaning.

If I were to guess 16 years ago, when we finally settled on our third child's name after much disagreement, which of our children would be most likely to change their name, I would have guessed our third child. His name means simply "Welsh form of John." Ian. So boring, especially compared to the names I'd chosen for his siblings. ;) But unique, what I was going for! So far, he hasn't expressed himself much in regards to such personal matters like name, so I feel like it could go any way! Which is fine. :beat

IntenseMagic and BevG like this.
  8. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

Just looked mine up...
    Meaning of the name Megan : Pearl
    A diminutive of Margaret from the Greek 'margarites' meaning 'pearl'. Its Greek roots can also mean 'great' and 'mighty'.

And we didn't pick the names for our kids because of the meanings.

9. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

My name, Kelly, means "bright-headed" and is of Irish origin.
    My son is named Joshua which means "the LORD is salvation". It is of Hebrew origin.
    My older daughter's name is Abigail, which is of Hebrew origin and means "Father's Joy".
    My youngest daughter is named Amelia, which is of Old English origin and means "industrious". She goes by the nickname Mollie, which is of Irish/English origin and means "Sweet" or "Star of the Sea."

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

We chose our kids names sorta at random. One was a joke ...one was a name I'd always liked.

Meanings:
    DD - friend, ally, or friendly one (definitely suits her perfectly)
    DS - masucline name meaning "new house" (this was interesting as I've never looked his up before)

Mine:
    interesting, I knew about the Hawaiian roots but hadn't heard of the Irish or Persian this is what it says:
    Kiana is said to be a predominately a girl’s name, of either Irish, Persian or Hawaiian origin. Her Irish roots say that Kiana is the modern and feminine variant of Kian, meaning ‘ancient’ or ‘God is gracious’. In Hawaii Kiana is a variant of the English name Diana, and means ‘divine’ or ‘heavenly’ 'goddess of the moon' as Diana was the Roman goddess of the moon, hunting, & forests and is said to be a calming name. Her Persian roots show that Kiana means ‘elements of nature’
    I think all of this fits me. :D

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Kari::

The girl’s name Kari is a Norwegian diminutive of Katharina or Karin. In Finnish, Kari is a short form of boy’s names ending in “-kari” e.g. Makari, and in Danish, Kari derived from the Old Norse masculine name Kári. In Switzerland, Kari is a diminutive of Karl and in Japanese ist is a short form of the unisex name Hikari.. Deriving from Katharina and Karin, Kari means “pure”. In Finnish, Kari means “blessed” or “happy” and in Danish it means “curly-haired”. Besides, Kari means “free man” (from Karl) and “light” in Japanese.. oddly enough the spelling also means royalty in a native American language which was fitting with my madien last name of king

I was given the name after my great grandfather who was named Carey on my father's side. My middle name is Rose after my great grandmother on my mother's side

The kids

BIANCA means white and fair. She was named after our favorite TV soap star on all my children her middle name is also rose.

KAI. means "warrior", "victory of the people", "brave spearman", "from the town Gaeta", in Celtic "spear bearer/thrower", in Native American "willow tree", in Japanese "pioneer", in Chinese "triumph", "victory", in Hawaiian "ocean" or "sea" ...it also means fire in Gaelic which is the meaning we chose it for which goes good with his middle name of Raven. Which happens to be the bird of fire. He got his name because it was going to be biancas name if she was a boy. I knew a kai from school and Always loved the name and my ex husband knew a bouncer with the name and we both loved the name. It was a unique name and we both loved unique names for our kids.

ASIA means rising sun or sunrise which also goes good with her middle name of Rae. Cause she's our Ray of sunshine. Her middle name comes from my twin sister Teri Rae who died at birth and also her father Raymond. Asia's name was going to be Isabella but it made the top 10 list the year she was born and we love unique names. My husband and I were at an event one night and discussed possible names joking because is sister was teaching in Asia at the time we should name our kid Asia. Well next day Bianca was almost 4 at time she came running into our kitchen from the living room where she was watching Disney screaming I got a name for the baby.. what about Asia? Asia... . Over and over again. After that it was just fate and stuck. And Asia Rae it was.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

So when I google the meaning of my name (Trina) I get ...

"The name Trina is primarily a female name of English origin that means Short Form Of Katrina."

When I google the meaning of Katrina, I get 'anglicized version of Catriona'. When I google Catriona I get 'Related to Katherine" lol

Katherine means Pure - so I guess we go with that?

DD1 - Kaitlyn - also derived from Katherine I guess, so also Pure
    DD2 - Kenzie (just Kenzie, not Mackenzie) - means 'Treasure'. She was our surprise - 8.5 years between kids, we thought we couldn't have any more. She is definitely our treasure!

IntenseMagic and jk703 like this.
  13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Cheryl is a female given name common in English speaking countries.

The name appeared in the early 20th century and was most popular during the early Cold War period. In America it was most popular from the 1940s to early 1980s and in the UK from the 1950s to early 1990s.

There are several prevailing theories about its etymology. The most common is that it is an Anglicized version of either the French name Cherie (from Latin Cara, being "beloved") or the Welsh name Cerys (a cognate of "Cara"), modeled on names such as Meryl and Beryl that were popular during the early decades of the 20th century.

Another theory is that the name is German in origin and is a feminine version of the Germanic male name Charles, which means "free man". An Anglo-Saxon (male) variant of Charles is Ceorl. Feminine variations of Charles include Charlotte, Carly, Carla and Caroline. My dad's name is Charles so there you go . . . LOL

English: not found before the 1920s, and not common until the 1940s. It seems to be an artificial creation, perhaps the result of a crossing of Cherry with Beryl.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I do know them all.
    Hubby's name means Manly, mine means crowned, DS1 means God is salvation, DS2 means dog/loyalty, DD's means grace. I chose the children's names based on their meaning.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I remember looking up my name when I was younger and finding out it mean "pure on" or something like that. My sister about laughed her head off when she heard that. Lol. Now my poor name means something a lot different to people. My poor name. Lol.

As for my boys, I don't think I looked up the meanings of their names, I just liked them and more importantly, they were the only names my hubby and I could agree on! :giggle

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Cheryl = beloved or cherished

My son is named after his father (Lawrence Albert) and my daughter after my grandmothers (Victoria Adelaide).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Jennifer means is from the Welsh form Gwenhwyfar and may have meant “fair one,” “blessed spirit,” or “white enchantress.”

I was either to be Jessica or Jennifer. My grandmother had 8 kids, and all started with the letter J. I was a continuation, lol!

My children have family names. My grandfather and his brother and now my two sons.

Shayne - variant of Sean, itself an Irish variant of John. John originates in Hebrew language and means "God is merciful".

Colin - short form of Nicholas, meaning "people of victory". Also the English version of the Scottish Gaelic Cailen.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I was named after my mom's best friend, who named her first daughter after my mom. I knew this meaning because I had looked it up a long time ago.

Beverly is a gender-neutral name of British origin. This charming name has served as both a given and a surname and means “beaver stream” or “meadow.” It has a consistently modern flair despite its enduring popularity through the decades, conjuring up images of sunny days and green grass.

Side story: I worked at a public library and we got in a name book with alternate meanings. Beverly was "laughs and tosses her hair a lot". Bev was "take it slow and you can make out with her".

We did not consider the meaning of our son's names but picked them based on people we knew with those names. They are also Bible names: Paul David and Mark James. Our daughter Mei has a whole story about her name, portions of it documented here and here. Little sister in Mandarin is "mei mei" so that got us started down that path. Her full Chinese name included Mei as her surname, so that was further confirmation of the name. The Chinese character for her name means "flowering plum".

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

The spelling of my name is french- Amie- means friend in french! Amy means "beloved" or "well-loved". So combined= beloved friend! ;)

My kiddos:
    Declan- Declan is an Irish given name, an anglicised form of the Irish saint name Declán. St. Declán founded a monastery in Ireland in the 5th century, and the St. Declán's stone has been credited as the site of many miracles. The name is believed to mean "man of prayer" or "full of goodness" (he is full of goodness- just a super sweet boy!)

Hayden- The name Hayden is of English origin meaning "heather-grown hill". It's the only girl name that both my husband & I agreed on... ;)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  20. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

My name means "God is my oath" - I'm pretty sure I was named after Elizabeth in the Bible. My twin brother also has a Bible name. Although my other siblings do not.

For our first three children, we chose first names that we just liked. Our oldest has a family name for a middle name and then our other 2 have Bible names for their middle names.

The last 4 have Bible names for their first names and we kept part of their Chinese names. We were more purposeful in choosing their names...not sure if it was because they were adopted or because we just had a different perspective on it during that time of our lives.

Here's what they mean. It's fun to see them all in one place. I need to scrap this!

Child 1 means: Dream - Princess
    Child 2 means: Work - Friend
    Child 3 means: Beautiful - Sheep (we sort of make fun of her for this!)
    Child 4 means: Gift of God
    Child 5 means: Noble One
    Child 6 means: Laughter
    Child 7 means: Joy of the Father