Pad Patter | Phones | 2-7-2023

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, Feb 7, 2023.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Omg, you just reminded me! It was my phone too!! We were in PA on a camping trip and we were canoeing down the Delaware. I put my phone on my lap and then I went to go get a drink out of the cooler. Never noticed it missing until we were 10 min away. It was in a case, but no way to find it! Gone. That’s when I got my 8, haha!

2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

In my family, we tend to keep our phones for a long time. I'm only on my 3rd phone right now.

2013 November: My husband and I and our oldest (age 13) got our first ever smartphones. Husband got something really cheap and has replaced it only maybe twice now. Oldest got an iPhone SE and only just upgraded to the SE2 a couple years ago. I got a basic iPhone4.

2015 November (exactly two years later, as soon as my two year payment plan was complete): I was so eager to upgrade because I hadn't even though of storage space when I bought my first phone and I was getting a lot of Low Storage warnings. I might have been having some other tech difficulties too; that was a long time ago to remember. I chose a iPhone 6 with 64Mb storage. It served me well for 5 years, though in the last couple of years it occasionally gave me technical problems. I actually erased the phone a couple of times and started over to clear away clutter I believed was causing the problems. This is the only phone I damaged. I fumbled on one of my neighborhood walks, failing to return it to my pocket accurately after snapping a photo and it managed to land screen down on a pointy piece of gravel. I scrapped about it and you can find the page in my gallery here. Fortunately, it was only the screen that was damaged and they fixed it pretty quickly at the Apple store for $100.

2020 December: I might have replaced sooner but we'd been having financial concerns, but in October 2020 I got a job delivering for USPS. Horrid job, but they pay well, and we use our own phones for GPS. I delivered on different routes a lot in my position, so only memorized a couple of them. Anyway, so I got the iPhone12mini. And I've just paid it off this past December. I'm in no rush to replace it, but in the past year I've really accepted that I'm not very into DSLR photography anymore, but I would like to have the iPhone Pro. The Mini's photos are quite good; amazing low light capability. But zooming in, I'm never pleased with the clarity. I know phones will never have sensors as big as DSLRs but I think I can get better than an iPhone Mini. I am balking at getting a larger phone though; I love the ease of putting the phones I've had in my pocket. So I'm not hurrying. Although I almost upgraded on Black Friday, but the Verizonwireless website took me through a several webpage rigamarole, then told me I wasn't eligible for the special deal they had offered. Ugh. So I clicked on the Feedback tab and complained and then shut the window. Maybe I'll buy directly from Apple. I definitely want Apple still. My most important app, Day One Journal, is mostly only for Apple (the android version doesn't get much attention and lacks features). I would be interested in hearing about android phone cameras that are amazing though, if anyone wants to share their experience. I could be swayed. Although I also use an iMac, which is only 2 years old.

I agree this is a good scrapping idea Jenn! I'm saving it in my journal.

Edited to add:
    Oh! I meant to mention my other two kids. My Second is still on their first iPhone. They chose, when I offered to upgrade, instead to just replace the battery. I think they got some frugality genes from my parents.

My youngest has actually had two iPhones, even though he's only 16. His first fell into the river in 2019. I took him to this awesome iPhone repair and resale shop we have locally and was able to find a good used one for him.

Edit 2:
    I almost forgot that I dropped and damaged my iPhone 6 twice. There was also a time standing at the edge of the waves in Virginia Beach. Fortunately, it just needed time to dry and it kept on working. Or maybe that was when it started giving me technical difficulties. I think it was 2018.

jk703 and G.J. like this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I upgraded from the IPhone XR to the 13 Pro Max last summer. It was right before the 14 came out and I kind of like to stay a gen behind, that way all the bugs get worked out and it didn't look like there were any major "gotta have it" new features. My phone was ok, but the battery wasn't staying charged and it was getting a little glitchy. Our carrier ran a deal to trade in/upgrade to the 13 Pro for $0 a month, so DH got that one, and like $4 a month for the Pro Max, so that's what I got. We hadn't had a monthly payment for a while! Chance currently has the 11 and it's starting to show it's age. It's in good shape surprisingly, but it's paid for and we'll probably upgrade him before he heads off to college. I prefer not to trade all of them in because I like having a backup that works in case of emergency.

We haven't had a mishap for a long time *knocks wood*, but we've had our share of toilets, pools, and drops on to concrete.

4. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

I've never had to replace one because of damage. I love easy phones with a nice camera, so I can take photos, I have a Nokia C20 at this time, and it works great.

5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I tend to keep my phones til they die….the iPhone 6s I have now has been going since 2019 and apart from a battery and lightning port replacement and several thousand lightning cables (I’m joking about the actual number but I do go through probably 6-12 a year) it’s still in one piece.

6. jk703

This is what I hope.... I can upgrade and it will cost next to nothing. We usually have a phone around so we have an extras for emergencies, but with the last two kids/replacements, the phones were here in 2 days.

7. jk703

We used to get all the accessories and chargers from Verizon, our cell carrier here - only because my hubby works for them (but the home/fios side), and we get a discount. But, the cheapies last just as long and are way cheaper even after DH's discount. I think we go through 3-4 for a year for all of us.

8. jk703

I definitely now choose the better camera. It has totally replaced my DSLR.

michelepixels likes this.
  9. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

I have only ever replaced my mobile at the end of a contract, then I have upgraded to a newer module of iPhone.

I have luckily never damaged a phone. I did have a near miss once when I dropped my phone down the stairs, it was one of those moments time seemed to slow down as I watched the phone bounce off the steps. At the bottom of my stairs was ceramic tiles I was sure my phone was going to hit bottom and smash. Luckily it bounced of the last step and landed in a pile of laundry I had thrown to bottom of stairs ready to wash :-) no damage to the phone at all

jk703 likes this.
  10. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

This has always been my priority with phones too. I like my Androids. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S10+. I'm due for an upgrade and will do it at some point, but for now, my priority is getting the kids' phones. They don't all have them, and they will be getting jobs and driving soon, so that is way more important than my own phone! Plus, my phone is still in great shape and works just fine. I just WANT a new one so I have have the newest camera lol.

jk703 likes this.
  11. jk703

hahaha... I get home last night and DH is like we need to look up phones and upgrading!?

Did someone text him?! lol!

12. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

My last 2 phones lasted a long time. I replaced them due to battery life.
    Before those I lost one when I left it on the back of my van while loading up bicycles. Didn't realize I didn't have it for awhile...and then it was long gone.

Before that I can't remember. I think I've only had 3-4 phones.

13. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I replaced my phone over the summer (with the same model > iPhone 12 Pro). I usually replace phones when the performance starts to deteriorate beyond an acceptable level. I specifically got the Pro for the camera.

Backstory: We were camping and I set it on the roof of my husband's car because I was scared of it falling out of my pocket into the outhouse. I forgot I put it there and then about 10 minutes later went to get something out of the car and when I pulled up the lift gate it apparently slid between the lift gate and the roof and when I closed the lift gate it was crushed .... booooo! Technically it still worked, but it wasn't repairable and Apple allowed me to replace it for about half the retail cost. I was furious with myself when it happened.