Pad Patter | Phones | 2-7-2023

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, Feb 7, 2023.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Phones...most of us have them! Now, I have a question about them! lol! I'm due to replace mine, but I'm putting it off as long as possible. I don't owe anything and I don't want another payment. I have an iPhone 8 Plus. So does my husband. My kids on the other hand have iPhone 13's - I think.

When you had to replace yours, was there a story as to why? Did it fall into a toilet? Out of a car window? It went to swim in the ocean? Fell out of a roller coaster? lol Or it just died?

Maybe we should scrap these stories? :giggle

Hubby:
    Years ago, in the summer, DH was playing around with family at a BBQ. They usually push each other in (this is all adults and starts pretty early when everyone is still dry) the pool. It's kind of a fun tradition - the adults get soaked, a little teasing for the kids, kids help other adults, and then as they kids get older, they turn the tables and throw the adults in. Well, Peter was about to be thrown in and he decided just to make it a cannonball. He gets out, and realizes his phone was in his pocket. Oops! New phone needed!

Shayne:
    Shayne went to work out with his buddies and always had his phone nearby - earbuds in, music on, just vibing. Well, he dropped a dumbell.... right on his phone. Cracked screen, cracked insides. Unusable!

Colin:
    Colin was out riding bikes with friends. His phone dropped out of his pocket. He tried to ride over to pick it up and he actually ran it over. Nothing seemed damaged, but as he turned around to go for round two, his friend ran over it too! Cracked screen - an actual hole in the phone. Tried to replace the screen, but still didn't work properly!

Good thing we have insurance!!! Right?! Otherwise I would be out oodles of $$$. I feel like I'm tempting fate and sharing especially since I don't have a story. haha!

G.J., umyesh and Karen like this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

The last time I replaced my phone was about a year ago and it wasn't because mine was broken, although the battery was starting to go, but they offered me a pile of money on my old phone for trade in, so I couldn't pass it up!

I will say that I am so happy that most phones are waterproof/resistant these days, because my hubby has dunked his a couple of times while boating or at the beach.

3. jk703

I want a pile of money for my old ass phone. :giggle
    I did once drop mine in the toilet.... oops. It was clean water, and I was able to rice dry it! Haha!

Karen and umyesh like this.
  4. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

I have an iPhone 11 Pro - I’m regretting my decision from 21 months ago to “take it back” for a cheaper fee per month because it’s due back in a few months and it’s still in good shape (I usually upgrade every 2 years anyways so thought I was doing myself a favour!)

I have only wrecked one phone - it fell face down off my nightstand right onto a metal base, and the way it landed it was right on the button, couldn’t use it at all because the button was so wrecked.

I’m toying with getting the newest iPhone, but also toying with buying this one out - I can get a cheaper plan because of where I work, if I bring my own device. They always “get” me when I learn of the new camera features though.

5. jk703

Does this mean you always have a payment, or it's like a lease? I can upgrade, but have probably put it off a couple years, lol! I am way due, but so much money lol!

6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I don't change phones very often but I'm not on it all the time either. I mainly use the phone for phone calls and texting. I have several apps that I will use once in awhile. I got my current phone in May of 2019 and it is still in good shape (Samsung Galaxy S10). I thought about getting me a new phone for my birthday last October but still haven't done it. I do know that my next phone is going to be a flip phone. The main problem with my phone is that I don't like it in a pocket and when I walk Peyton, I always feel like it will fall out. If I stop at my cousin's house on my walks and sit down, the phone usually falls out of my pocket because it is bigger than the pocket in the pants/shorts I wear when I walk. A flip phone will fit perfectly! So I always have to have my hand on my phone when walking and take it out of the pocket when I sit down. Annoying...

I looked at the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 and liked it but had only had my phone a year. The Galaxy Z Flip 4 has had some pretty good reviews and that is what I planned on getting. And, I can get a purple one :)

7. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I’ve cracked a phone only once and it was about time to replace it. I was running (figuratively speaking lol) to catch a train and jumped down the stairs (again, figuratively) and my phone just flew out of my new phonecase. It was a Sony with glass backing and it was completely smattered. It still worked though, but didn’t feel safe to keep using it with all the glass shards. Very sad, especially as I needed to act cool as I still needed to cath that train. I switched from Sony to iPhone then, though I don’t think it that was related to this incident.

I’m not one to upgrade very often, I can have the same phone for years. But when the battery keeps dying or there are other problems, it’s time.

8. jk703

I can't imagine going back to a flip phone!

9. jk703

My battery is starting to really lose it's power and fast. That's mainly why I am thinking of upgrading. Booo!

10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

My phone is three years old now and the battery life is dreadful.
    I would love to upgrade sometime. I love my Samsung S10 Galaxy Note.

11. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I have a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. I got it Christmas of 2021, so have had it about 13 months. I love it, it has a stylus with a built-in storage slot at the bottom of the phone and a large screen, which helps with my bad vision. I got this one specifically because it had the best camera that Samsung had at the time. I usually upgrade every 2 years or so. I always look for the best camera available by Samsung. I had iPhones years ago, but I have had an android for the past 7-ish years.

12. jk703

I keep mine on a charger when it falls to 50% at work. otherwise, by the time I get home, it would be dead. (And I don't really use it a lot at work).

13. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I hate changing phones so I usually only get a new one when I can't stand the terrible battery life any more. I replaced my last phone because my camera would only take blurry photos and it was sooooooo annoying! I still cringe when I scrap those photos. :-/

The only horror story I have about phones was when I had a brand new phone with no case and no screen protector yet. I was skipping back to my car after picking up food (yes, skipping) and it flew out of my pocket and the screen shattered. That was a very pricey mistake. Thankfully the screen was the only thing broken so we paid to have it replaced but I will never live down the fact that I was skipping and broke my phone. My kids all know the story thanks to my husband haha

14. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

They used to do it as a 'Zero upfront' and you had to pay for the device balance if you ended the contract early. Now what they're doing here is splitting out your monthly rate from the amount they're deducting from your device balance each month - a bit more 'clear' in how it works, but it means I see a $30 a month charge for the phone. If I don't bring it back I'll owe them 500-700 I think at the end of my contract, if I do bring it back nothing is owing. I kinda want to pay it out, then save that $30 myself for the next 2 years and buy a phone outright - same difference but I get to hold onto my money longer lol

15. jk703

Oh, the way mine works is that I agree to pay say $30 a month until the phone is paid. Usually 24-30 months or so.... Then after that I have an old phone. (Which for me, I've been using since 2017 ish, but now don't have a payment). Hahaha! I can now upgrade, and then start the process again. I can use my old phone and try to get money toward a new phone, but we've kept a couple in the past just in case there is a problem with one of ours. If we bring it in early and want to upgrade, we have to pay it off, or roll the cost into the bill with the new phone cost.

16. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Have you even looked at the new flip phones? I am actually amazed at the technology that have gone into them. When open, it is just like a phone you have now. But it folds in half so has smaller space requirements. It even has a little screen on the cover that you can see and respond to messages.

Rumor has it that Apple has been working on a flip model as well. No concrete info on it though.

jk703 likes this.
  17. jk703

Ah, you are right! I know that new Flip by Samsung and a friend had one also. I immediately thought of the other kind. :giggle Some of them are so sleek and pretty.

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  18. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I'm on my second iPhone, prior to that I had a cheapo prepaid Straight Talk non-smart phone. Bought my first iPhone (6) in June of 2015, I replaced in it October/November of 2020 with an SE (2020).

My grandson (17) has an iPhone 8 that I bought him when he started high school (Sept. 2019). This past fall he accidentally shattered the screen. We took the phone to the Apple store and had the screen and battery replaced for $158. I've promised him a new iPhone when he graduates in June.

My granddaughter was/is the WORST with her iPhones ... she has a bad habit of just tossing them around and they've hit the floor umpteen times. Plus she's misplaced/lost her phones a few times ... oh the drama. The last time she lost a phone, I bought her a new one, BUT I made her get her own phone account. She was 21 and I was tired of replacing her phones and the drama involved.

jk703 likes this.
  19. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have the Google Pixel 3XL and I love it because it takes amazing photos. The phone I had before this one was a Moto Z Force, but it started shutting off and rebooting repeatedly after a year of having it. :( So I switched over to the Google Pixel 3XL, and I've had it since 2018. I'm considering upgrading since my phone is paid off.

G.J. and jk703 like this.
  20. hairica

hairica Active Member

I've never had to replace one because of damage, just because I want the latest and greatest. I usually replace every 2 years. But I haven't replaced mine in 2 years this time because Samsung quit putting an external spot in their phones. Ugh!! I hate having to buy a phone depending on how much memory they have- let me put an external in and use it how I want. I've been spoiled and now I don't like what they've done.
    My kids are iPhone users and we always seem to find a way to keep them pretty current with all the deals the phone companies have when a new phone is released.

My best phone story though is a friend of mine- we were in Savannah GA last April on a girls trip. We had this amazing time kayaking in the swamps through trees. She had her phone in waterproof case around her neck, took it out to take a picture then just quickly put it in her lap. Next thing she knew, she tipped the kayak and was in the swamp. Phone gone in the dark black abyss, never to be found again. We were all so sad for her. After we got out the swamp we took her to the store to replace it. To this this day we still call her the swamp girl.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    jk703 likes this.