January 2023 Book Club - The Push

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yahoo! We have another round of voting completed and we have another batch of great books to read together. After voting was complete we were able to narrow the list down a little bit. :giggle We did end up having a THREE way tie for the last book, so I'm going to go ahead and add a couple extras to our list! :D

The book for January is The Push by Ashley Audrain. Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers. We have a new trick for hiding spoilers. Type whatever you want and then highlight the spoiler portion and click the + button above and select Spoiler. If that doesn't work (seems to be funky on Macs) just highlight your text and change the color to white >>>This is a super secret spoiler alert!<<< like I did right there.

This book is SO good and will also need spoiler warnings!

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone is welcome to join in with our book club reading at any time and join in the discussion! The more the merrier! :agree Happy reading!

2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Man this book was GREAT! The ending HAD me! I think/hope there will be a sequel!

Karen likes this.
  3. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I read this one a while back and loved it!!

Karen likes this.
  4. Karen

I just read this one last month and it was so good!! I finished it at 4:30 am!! I just could not put it down!

5. Karen

Oh gosh! I never thought about a sequel! That would be awesome!!

amien1 likes this.
  6. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

Let’s talk about this one! What a fantastic psychological thriller!

I did the audiobook. I powered through it in 2 days. I couldn’t stop listening. The narration of the audiobook was great and I really liked the way the author used a lot of self talk and thinking out loud of the main character Blythe. I really felt like I was in her head.

the characters:
    Blythe - main character
    Etta - Blythe's grandmother
    Cecelia - Blythe’s mother
    Violet - Blythe’s daughter
    Fox - Blythe’s husband

ok let me come back with my spoilers/ thoughts my iPad keyboard is skipping all over the place

7. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

The kindle version of this book is only 1.99 right now. I haven’t read it yet, but it looks like it could be a good one.

8. Laura ODonnell

if you like psychological thrillers you wont be sorry

9. Laura ODonnell

This book had me guessing the whole time. Is Violet the devil? Is Blythe as mentally ill as her mother and grandmother?

I was thinking something was off when Violet was a baby and Blythe wanted to do her writing and just let her cry for an hour at a time. Who would do that? But then when Violet was at the preschool and the teacher calls them in to tell them that Violet was bullying then I was back thinking oh this child has a problem. That was their chance right there to get some help and they brushed it off because Blythe was so worried about her getting kicked out of daycare.Then the child gets tripped on the jungle gym and no one sees it? And she pushes Sam into traffic and no one sees that either? And the whole thing with her wearing a wig and making friends with Fox's new wife? Now I'm back to thinking that Blythe has this mental illness and like her mother and grandmother maybe it manifests that they think they have these evil daughters. And they all have a history of marrying men that just want to smooth it over.

Then we come to near the end of the book which circles back to the beginning where Blythe is sitting in her car watching them through the window. And Violet pushes on the glass! And then the phonecall about Jet!!!

Karen likes this.
  10. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

I saw someone say it was the next Gone Girl. If I hated that book with a passion will I hate this one?

11. Laura ODonnell

Maybe I liked Gone Girl

scribler likes this.
  12. Karen

I did not like Gone Girl, but I really liked this one...

scribler likes this.
  13. Karen

Yes to all of this!

Violet was definitely mentally off from birth! I hated that phone call at the very end and what it meant for the baby, but in the same regard, I was glad to know that it was Violet the whole time!

djp332 and Laura ODonnell like this.
  14. Laura ODonnell

Oh and one more thing, I read that this is this author’s first book. Wow! Can’t wait to see what else she comes up with.

15. Karen

I didn't realize this was her first book. Wow! I can't wait for whatever she writes next! :D

16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I finished a week ago and forgot to come here to read the thread. Like many others, I read this in a weekend. It was too horrifying to spend longer on it. Interesting that you're so sure Karen. I lean the same way as you, but the ending was so abrupt, I still felt confused.

By the way, I'm trying out a different reading tracker instead of Goodreads. Storygraph. https://app.thestorygraph.com/ Is anyone else using it? I like that the focus is on book stats, but it's plain and a bit lonely. I liked the newsletters Goodreads sends regularly telling me what my friends are reading; I've gotten my next book from those newsletters many times.

Karen likes this.
  17. Karen

The ending was definitely abrupt and was confusing for a second, but then yeah, definitely came to my conclusions. Lol.

I hadn't seen that new Storygraph app before. I must say that I have been annoyed with Goodreads lately, they reformatted everything and I can no longer see which of my friends have read a book by clicking on it or see their ratings. I hate it. BUT, I have so much information logged there, I really would hate to go to another place and lose everything I have at Goodreads.

michelepixels likes this.
  18. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Oh! I forgot to mention one of the coolest things about Storygraph is that they slurp your Goodreads data over to them. I haven't studied my results to see how well they did that, but from what I've seen so far, I think it worked fine. For the last couple of years, I've been making screenshots and copy-pasting my Goodreads reviews into my journal, but I might go back and do that for my older reviews before I leave Goodreads for good.

19. Karen

Oh man! Now you're tempting me!

20. Laura ODonnell

Hmm I am not on Goodreads. Should I go straight to Storygraph?