Going to mirrorless? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by bcgal00, Dec 15, 2022.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've been on the fence about switching out my gear for quite awhile now. I've got a Sony mirrorless rx10 iv which is good for an outdoor walk-around bridge camera which I will keep, Nikon P950 for the extra reach of a long zoom and my Nikon D500. I finally decided to go completely mirrorless and am going to get rid of the two cameras and lenses except the sony. It makes me nervous b/c I've had a love affair with my d500 for a long time but it's time to break up. Portability is a factor b/c of the long hikes I go on and carrying around a big DSLR and a 500 mm lens is very heavy. I need a lighter system. I'm looking at a full frame mirrorless sony (might get a good deal on a used one) or possibly a nikon.

Anyone got one and have any pros and cons to share? The used one I'm looking at is a sony a7r iv but if that doesn't work out, maybe an a7 iv (more reasonably priced) or nikon z7 ii.

Thoughts? Advice?

2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Here's my 2 cents about going mirrorless, I stuck with canon so I could use all of my lenses that I had invested in over the years. If you think if you would ever want to use your existing lenses, I would stick with a Nikon and buy the adaptor.

As for hiking, I LOVE my mirrorless for that... so much lighter! And I would highly recommend the black rapids strap (I can link it if you're interested).

kristankremer likes this.
  3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

A friend of mine just bought the strap a few weeks ago. It looks very comfortable. That's a good idea about a mount adapter. Something to keep in mind.

4. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

If you get one, I'd love to read your review. You are a fantastic nature photographer. I greatly enjoy your pictures on Facebook.

Years ago I lugged around a Nikon D90. Was more of a macro girl, through. I bought a small Pentax mirrorless with the ability change out lenses. But, I got lazy. I never bought the additional lenses.

When the iPhone 11 Pro came out, with the three built in lenses, I pretty much stopped using anything else. I can get pretty good macro shots with it...and I do attach an additional macro lens the iPhone. Thus, I am not help with recommendations for you.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'll be sure to give a review when I get one, probably within a month. BTW, did you see the 2 eagle shots I posted today? I was thrilled with how they came out and when I get a camera with a better crop performance I can get even closer. I can't wait.

LoveItScrapIt and ArmyGrl like this.
  6. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

@bcgal00 I didn't until I saw the post above :giggle

bcgal00 likes this.
  7. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I’m probably going to go completely mirrorless this year. Since I shoot with Canon, I’m going to stick with that so I can use my existing lenses. I really want a looonng birding lens so it is pushing me to get a mirrorless body because I don’t want to put a lot of money into obsolete lens technology.

bcgal00 and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  8. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I'm just here to follow the recs since I want a true DSLR. lol

bcgal00 likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have a Sony mirrorless. It is much lighter and easier for me to handle. I do have to admit, though, like Lisa, that I tend to rely quite heavily upon my Google Pixel camera for daily shots. I want to refocus during 2023 so that I'm using the mirrorless on a daily basis again.

bcgal00 likes this.
  10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've been researching and have narrowed it down to either a sony a7r ii which I can buy used for the same price as a new nikon z7ii with adapter for my current lenses. What is drawing me to the sony is the huge 61 mp sensor as opposed to the nikon 45 mp sensor but both are impressive. What is drawing me to the sony is the huge crop factor when I need it for wildlife photos.

I have a lot of thinking to do and hope to figure it out by January. Either way, I'm excited to move into a full frame mirrorless soon and either system is going to be lighter and easier to carry on hikes.

11. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

my husband used a nikon d3x... but it's heavy as lead... He switched to a nikon z7 ii with 24-70mm two years ago. He is very satisfied with it - convenient to use and razor sharp.
    I still have my D800 for reportage work I do for the council... For personal shots I use a fuji XT30 - mirrorless but not FF... but for me the quality is sufficient...

12. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Glad to hear he likes his z7ii. I will be happy with either for different reasons, so for me, it is a win-win no matter which way I go.

13. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I have not been able to jump on the mirrorless bandwagon yet. In fact, I just bought a full frame Nikon D850 to go with my D500. I think for me, mirrorless is just too new at this point, and I just really love my DSLRs.

bestcee likes this.
  14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

That's the way I've thought up until now b/c I love my D500 but my problem is that my wildlife lens is just soooo heavy and I need to find a way to lighten up the load, so therefore a mirrorless and a mirrorless 600 lens will be lighter to carry around.

15. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

I would go mirrorless once there is an affordable model that I am able to do both sports photography and videography. Right now, those models are way above my price range and close to the price of the higher end pro DSLR sports camera. I tend to use my google pixel phone for everyday shots especially now because my camera is at Nikon being fixed.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  16. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

The weight of the DSLR was also the deciding factor for my husband to switch to the Nikon z7ii.

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Update Dec 20

I really wanted to go with Nikon z7 ii b/c with an adapter I could use my existing lenses I have for my D500. But after extensive research I realize it just won't be good for my wildlife shooting which is my primary focus. The z9 is awesome for landscape/portraits but their tracking/focus system for birds in flight is terrible. I like my little walk-around sony (rx10iv) and will pair that with another sony. They have a very good rating for wildlife photography. I just have to figure out which one.

I might have the opportunity to get a used a7r iv which has a whopping 61 mp which will allow for a lot of cropping. The other one I am interested in is the a7iv or a9ii. So now I have to look at pricing, used, sales, etc as I have to be sensible about budget. At least my d500 and 200-500 lens will work for me now as I figure this all out. It is fun but so stressful trying to figure out the best gear for my needs.

18. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I totally agree. It's such a big investment, I worry about making the wrong choices. I have never loved my Canon 6D, though, so I'm ready to move on to the new tech. :)

19. kristankremer

kristankremer Member

All my gear is Nikon and I invested in an f-mount Sigma Art 35mm 1.4 for my D3S before I made the switch to mirrorless (Nikon Z6). The D3S is a beast, which is finally why I decided to switch. I don't regret it but the lens adapter adds so much weight to the mirrorless setup, not to mention a good bit to the size. But it's so hard to make the investment in a z-mount 35mm 1.4 for the Z6 (thousands $$$!). We could take a vacation for that lol..

It's just something to consider. The adapter kind of negates some of the weight/size savings you get when going mirrorless.

Edited to add...I didn't read the full thread before commenting lol I see the decisions have been made. Carry on! :carryon:giggle

Also, I have the black rapids strap and yes I agree it's great!

20. er_creates

er_creates Pollywog

I switched last year from a canon 6d to the Sony a7 iv. I use some of my lenses on an adapter but it’s slow so I’m not a huge fan. I’m slowly selling my canon stuff and switching to full Sony. It’s been a change. I feel like the Sony colors still sometimes throw me off but I love how lightweight the camera is and how much I can do in camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk