Handmade gifts | Pad Patter 12.06

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by G.J., Dec 6, 2022.

1. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

I'm a crocheter, I was around 7 y.o. when I learned, I started making small pieces, and sometimes I crocheted Christmas gifts. I have never done amigurumi's projects, but I really love them.
    For Christmas gifts, I used to crochet some mittens, scarves, or socks, and add some candies as gift, but now digital scrap has become in my passion and hardly find time to crochet something. Today I saw in Pinterest this cute stockings, and I think it would be a great Christmas gift for a cat lover, I know it's possible to change a little bit the pattern and do a dog face instead of a cat, and they would be a great gift for some people that I know.
    1. Have you ever crafted a Christmas gift? what was it?
    2. Have you ever received a handmade gift? if so, what was it?
    3. Would you like to prefer to receive a handmade gift or a ready made gift?

kitties.jpg

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Back in the 1980's I did a lot of counted cross stitch for presents. Some as baby gifts (name & DOB), wedding gifts (names & date) and Christmas gifts for my parents. 4 of them are still hanging up in my house (parents turned it over to me in the 1990's). I also did plastic canvas projects as gifts during the late 1970's and early 1980's.

G.J. likes this.
  3. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Those cat stockings are so cute Grace!

One year I painted pajama shirts for my kids. It was fun!
    Yes my sister knits hats and they are my favorite to receive as gifts!
    I love handmade because I know how much effort goes into it, but I’m also happy with ready made. Let’s be honest, I like any gift I can get! ;)

G.J. likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Omgosh, those are precious Grace!!
    I can kind of/sort of knit a little. I made headbands for the girls one year.
    I have also done arm knit scarves a couple of times.
    I love receiving handmade gifts. It is so special know the time that someone has put in to make something for me!

G.J. likes this.
  5. G.J.

Painting pajama shirts sounds like a lot of fun, I've never try, but I'm really interested in doing some personal pajama, or a personal T-shirt.

umyesh likes this.
  6. G.J.

Love cross stitch, unfortunately I never learned, I wish I had.

7. G.J.

Headbands are always a great gift, and I really love arm scarves, they are so practical.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

The only holiday gifts I make are digiscrapped calendars--there are too many people to give to and not enough free time around the holidays. I crochet gifts, but usually for new babies (blankets for relatives, amigurimi loveys for friends and coworkers). A few years ago I quilted a blanket for my baby niece and sewed doll clothes for her older sister. I've also sewn or crocheted things my kids asked for--like a crocheted tote and a Junimo from Stardew Valley for DD in the last 6 months--but they weren't really for any specific occasion.

When I was a kid and teenager my grandmother crocheted me sweaters. She also made me an afghan before I left for college. My mother made me curtains for my room when I was about 10. My boss has made me some handcrafted cards (as a gift, meant for me to write and give to others). Other than handmade crafts from young kids, that may be it. I'm the maker in my family.

Either one! A handmade gift is so special, but I know how many hours go into some of them. I'd feel appreciative but also guilty that they spent so much time on it!

G.J. likes this.
  9. G.J.

@rach3975 you are very talented and sweet lady, so no reason to feel guilty to receive a handmade gift, you deserve it.

rach3975 likes this.
  10. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

1. Have you ever crafted a Christmas gift? what was it? I made cross-stitch ornaments for family members and close friends one year.
    2. Have you ever received a handmade gift? if so, what was it? Yes, my grandmother crocheted afghans ... I have one she made for me, and two baby blankets that she made for my son and daughter.
    3. Would you like to prefer to receive a handmade gift or a ready made gift? I've reached the stage that I prefer not to receive gifts as I simply have so much stuff. I'd prefer to go out to eat, or go get ice cream, or just hang out with family/friends.

G.J. likes this.
  11. G.J.

@Memaw2Wm go out to eat and spend time with family and friends are the best gifts.

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  12. mocamom

mocamom Runs on coffee. And with scissors.

I love making handmade gifts and usually do. Last year my mom passed away suddenly a few days before Thanksgiving. I took her silk pajamas that she wore and turned them into pillows for the great grandchildren. They won't remember her since they are all under 2, but I wanted them to have a piece of something that she cherished. I took those same pajamas and made jewelry bags for the granddaughters. I love gifting precious memories!

G.J. likes this.
  13. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Me too! This will be my first year to really give gifts that I've made though. I have given my kids blankets I've made for them, but my son's was unfinished with the ball of yarn still attached lol!

Here's what I'm gifting so far...

Hot pads and dish cloths...
    hotpadsTLP.jpg

This blanket for my mom...
    truckTLP.jpg

And my nieces requested "fake plants" for Christmas so I bought a set of amigurumi plant patterns from Etsy and decided to give it a go. This is the start of that project...

plantsTLP.jpg

I usually don't give homemade gifts because I'm not confident enough in my skill to feel like the items are gift worthy. But this year, I stuck with smaller, easier projects.

And to answer the rest of your questions:

Yes... I have received handmade gifts before. My one grandmother was a talented crafter and the other a talented seamstress. My crafter grandma got into painting ceramics and I have tons from her. My other grandmother always made me and my cousin matching sleep sets each Christmas... I got a nightgown and my cousin got pjs.

As for which type of gift... either! Any gift is special, especially when there is thought behind it.

G.J. and Karen like this.
  14. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Other than baked goods and digi-scrapped calendars, I don't think I've made a Christmas gift since I was a kid.

One of my sisters is seriously crafty (sewing, crocheting, beading, origami, etc). She has given me some beautiful handcrafted gifts: matching hat and mittens; crocheted flowers; and handmade zippered bags and pouches, all fully lined in cute prints, with button closures and ric rac trim and so on (to be used as makeup bags, pencil cases, etc.). I keep trying to get her interested in digital scrapbooking (she would love it, and she would be so awesome!).

No preference. I'm happy to receive either.

G.J. likes this.
  15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am pretty crafty and used to try to make a ton of handmade gifts, but I've really backed off on that because often I don't have time to finish a handmade gift for everyone on my list and then I stress out because I dream big and then feel like I've failed when I don't finish everything. Now if I want to make something handmade, I just make it for whoever and give it to them when it's done without the pressure of a holiday deadline.

This year I did make one handmade gift for my son. I make a little sticker booklet for him with stickers that relate to things he's interested in. He mentioned wanting some stickers for his new laptop but wasn't specific. This way he can pick from a bunch of option and use what he likes. He's also starting to get into collecting vinyl records, so I made the booklet like a mini record album cover with the image of one of his favorite albums on it.

G.J. likes this.
  16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

OH and by the way, those kitty stockings are so cute Grace! I might be back asking for a link to those. I'm also a crocheter. :agree

G.J. likes this.
  17. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I've been making gifts since I was small. Lots of different kinds of homemade gifts flow from my home.
    My sister normally sends me homemade chutney's, cookies and jams.

G.J. likes this.
  18. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

Here and there I make handmade gifts.

[​IMG]

These are hand puppets that I made for a baby gift. Really easy to knit and babies love puppets.

G.J. and mary kate like this.
  19. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

these are fantastic! My daughter would love the plants

G.J. likes this.
  20. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

G.J. likes this.