October 2022 Book Club - Thirteen

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yahoo! We have another round of voting completed and we have another batch of great books to read together. After voting was complete we were able to narrow the list down a little bit. :giggle We did end up having a THREE way tie for the last book, so I'm going to go ahead and add a couple extras to our list! :D

The book for October is Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh. Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers. We have a new trick for hiding spoilers. Type whatever you want and then highlight the spoiler portion and click the + button above and select Spoiler. If that doesn't work (seems to be funky on Macs) just highlight your text and change the color to white >>>This is a super secret spoiler alert!<<< like I did right there.

So many fun ways to hide spoilers here!

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone is welcome to join in with our book club reading at any time and join in the discussion! The more the merrier! :agree Happy reading!

Ferdy likes this.
  2. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

This book might be scary!

[​IMG]

3. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

I kiss Bart

4. Karen

I just started this one last night! :)

5. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Oooooo, intriguing book! I'm going to see if I can get if from the digital library since I "read" almost all my books via audio book these days.

Karen likes this.
  6. onaponakookt

onaponakookt Well-Known Member

Just bought it. First finishing the one I am currently reading, and then I,m ready to join in

Karen likes this.
  7. Karen

My digital library didn't have it. I borrowed the paper book, but I much prefer my Kindle these days and read faster on it, so I decided to splurge and bought this one. It's been a really long time since I actually purchased a book instead of getting them from the library, so I figured it was okay this time. :agree

8. Karen

Excellent! I'm at chapter ten so far and really liking it.

9. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

@Karen do you know if it's ok to read this book without reading the others from the series? from what I've seen online, there are a seven books from this autor, with this character Eddie Flynn, and now I don't know if it's really a big deal...

10. Karen

I was told that you definitely can read this one as a stand alone. I haven't read any of the other books either and so far am having no problems getting right into the story. :agree

Ferdy likes this.
  11. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

thank you!! so I'll put this in my wishlist here, I'm curious about it!!

Karen likes this.
  12. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Teehee, I did get this from the digital library and about one sentence in, I realized I had "read" this one before. Actually, I really felt like I had seen the movie -- until I did a little research and I don't think there HAS been a movie. :D But, it's a testament to the writing, I guess, that I felt like I had seen him getting into the back of that van in the beginning, for example. Great descriptions and very visual writing style.

13. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

This book is part of Kindle Unlimited, so I've picked it up and will test it next.

Karen likes this.
  14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Hope our digital library gets this in, it does sound interesting.

Karen likes this.
  15. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I just finished this one today. I really liked the premise and I thought it was very entertaining (minus the gruesome details). Very twisty and turny for knowing who the killer is on page 1!

Karen likes this.
  16. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

I really liked this. I like courtroom details and the whole look into how the jury is picked and how they will probably decide the case. I think this is a series? I would read more of these.

Did anyone do the audiobook? I was really having trouble separating the voices of the killer and the attorney. I kept mixing them up.

Karen likes this.
  17. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I also listened to the audiobook and had the same trouble! New chapters would take me by surprise until I had a little more context.

18. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

Hah! this doesn't happen often with audiobooks for me but it did with this one

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i actually bought verity by colleen hoover yesterday when i saw it in a second hand sale - i just assumed it was in the top couple books that got in - i can't remember if i already reserved this one or my library didn't have it- anyway, i really like the cover with the red chair and the numerals in the title - we need more cover appreciation in our reviews (but then often my Aust/UK English covers look different to yours and the Goodreads ones anyway) - sorry off-topic - carry on!

[​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  20. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion