Do you make/bake your own bread? | Pad Patter 09.17.22

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by ArmyGrl, Sep 17, 2022.

1. zakirahzakaria

zakirahzakaria Making to-do lists CHECK. Checking to-do lists...

I learned making breads many years back and enjoyed it. It was so therapeutic. I made baguettes and white loaves. I don't remember why I stopped but now I do feel like making breads again. It's just that it's hard to do now with a child because I remember that it was quite labor intensive. Maybe I should get a bread machine to do all the kneading... Hmmm.

2. G.T.

G.T. Active Member

That would be NO, NO and NO again!
    I did try many moons ago but house bricks were lighter and fluffier! :crazy3

Happy to go to Bakers Delight and get a seeded white loaf thin sliced any day!
    Cheers to all you wonderful bakers
    Trish

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My parents gave me their bread maker many years ago, so I made bread quite a lot for a while after that, but then just kind of stopped. Probably becasue we were eating too much bread. It's SOOO good fresh out of the oven slathered in butter. Mmmm! I also jumped on the bandwagon during Covid lockdowns and made that dutch oven recipe that was all over facebook. That turned out super yummy. The crust was crunchy and the inside was soft and fluffy. Yummy. Now I wanna make bread.

Funny story though. I don't own a dutch over, so I used my round crock pot ceramic dish and found another glass lid that fit on that. :giggle

4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have made bread, in several ways over the last couple of decades. But not for a few years. I have little interest in bread anymore. Pretty much I just have tortillas a couple of times a week (I love veggie burritos) and a small loaf from Wegmans bakery every other week or so, mostly for avocado toast.

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Only the kind that come out of a package and into the oven. I'm very good at that. LOL :giggle:giggle

6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I used to have a bread machine and used to set it up to bake bread overnight so it would be fresh in the morning. I stopped doing that years ago. I did have sourdough starter for 3-4 years that was awesome. I make awesome bread, buns and pound cake with it. Eventually I gave it up when I started cutting back on carbs. Now I buy keto bread, make fathead dough for pizza and generally stay away from bread carbs. Now and again I will have a burger with a bun or regular pizza, but not often.

7. Kristin Aagard

Kristin Aagard Designer

I love making bread! I can't really do it much in the summer because our air conditioner is from 1995 and it doesn't work very well! As soon as it cools down a bit I have a new no kneed baguette recipe and an over night pizza dough I want to try out!

ArmyGrl and Meredith78 like this.
  8. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

My husband, my oldest son and I have all made bread, but it's not something that we do on a regular basis. I love the concept of it, but it alway seems to come down to a matter of convenience where we end up buying bread.

9. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I got a sourdough starter going during the pandemic and learned to make sourdough. If you need to take a break, you can freeze your starter -- mine is now frozen since I hadn't made sourdough in a while. They are actually pretty hard to kill. I also have a bread machine and I have an oatmeal bread that I really like that I make pretty frequently. I'll have a slice with butter and jam for breakfast.

10. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I would love to learn how to make sourdough with starter. YUM!

We have a breadmaker. I use it most frequently to rise pizza and focaccia dough, but I do make several types of bread with it as well. My favorite is an oat nut bread and a banana bread that's very much a bread as opposed to a pastry.

I love regular sugary baked banana bread, too, it's just not what I make in my bread maker.

11. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i used to make orange marmalade bread in breadmahine, amazing how well this went with american chop suey

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yep! Mine took a summer break in the freezer. I should pull it out soon. I bought mine from King Arthur and it works wonderfully!

I make bread and other bread things all the time. I actually bought bread this week because life was super busy and I've heard about it from the people. They are not impressed at all! I was shocked at how much bread prices have gone up.

I have a pretty easy recipe (yes, I made the bread in the photo) that I use that is fairly hands off because I have a kitchen aid mixer. The biggest thing with bread is patience. Don't rush the rise.
    I have these, with a lid, that I use for rising. It's easy to see how high the dough has risen (lines on the side), and it rises well in them:
    upload_2022-9-20_9-53-35.jpeg

I have a few different recipes depending on my time commitment and ingredients. Like one that's ready in about 2 hours, one that has no dairy in it, and one intended for sandwiches (a little heavier, but better for spreading stuff on it).

I hate how quickly homemade bread goes bad (no preservatives). I have to remember to freeze or refrigerate the second loaf because of that.

13. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

how do you keep up with forums, scrap and bake .... wonder woman

bestcee likes this.
  14. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

I like to make bread…but it’s as good as Bakers Delight.

G.T. likes this.
  15. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Bread making is labor intensive. We are on the same sheet of music - contemplating a bread machine! But, I am also at a stage in life where I value making things by hand in order to maintain hand strength and improve dexterity.

16. ArmyGrl

No judging here! I LOVE me some TEXAS TOAST!!!!! Freshly frozen from the grocers freezer.

17. ArmyGrl

:rollinI am all to familiar with brick bread!!!!!:rollingpin

G.T. likes this.
  18. ArmyGrl

Because of the job I had, my lockdown period was very brief. Then, I had to go to work. But anyways...yes to a dutch oven. I need one...and had not considered using the crockpot ceramic with a different lid. You are creative in so many ways!

Karen likes this.
  19. ArmyGrl

I had no idea one could freeze the starter! Wow! And that oatmeal break sounds yummy!

20. ArmyGrl

Mmmmmm! These sound yummy!