Lunch | Pad Patter 8.28

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Aug 28, 2022.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm really trying to work on eating healthier during the school year. I usually end up getting lazy and just eating school lunch a lot, which is really good some days and some days not so much lol. My go-to when I pack is salami and cheddar cheese and a spinach salad and some fruit, but that gets old after a while. When we have leftovers, I will sometimes take those. I get so much hungrier through the school year than I do in the summer, so I like to have something filling but healthy. I'd love to be the person that meal preps, but I'm so bad at it :giggle

Anyone have any great suggestions for me? What's your favorite lunch food?

LoveItScrapIt and umyesh like this.
  2. sberkan

sberkan Says "yes" to new adventures...

Not much help here. When I used to work, I always took leftovers for lunch. They're my favourite and I love them. It's hard to find anything the kids will eat on a regular basis.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

Yep, always leftovers when I can, but I've gotten a lot lazier in the cooking at home, too haha. With just me, DH, and a 17 year old, we fend for ourselves often lol.

4. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

DH laughs at me because I’m happy eating pb&j for lunch haha I used to take spinach salad, sliced apples and baby carrots to work every day. Carrots are pretty good with hummus which makes them more filling. I also like how filling nuts are. If you have a fridge you could try overnight oats; if you have hot water you could try oatmeal. Good luck! I would go for school lunch every day just for the convenience.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’ve either been having a sandwich or soup with gluten free bread, not super inventive but it works for me.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I like to always have some rice and beans and sautéed veggies and interesting toppings and sauces on hand and just mix and match. I also buy a few frozen entrees. There are plant based and vegan ones that are healthier.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Lol.. a can of spaghettios??
    Or a sandwhich..
    Ramen . Or pho
    Sometimes a salad.
    Or on weds we have sushi a lot cause it's on sale.
    Or left overs

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

They serve pb&j at my school every day as an alternative to hot lunch, but it's usually whole wheat Uncrustables. They are ok, but they used to make really good ones.
    I usually start out pretty good at the beginning of the year and the more tired I get, the more I go for the convenience.

umyesh likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

I like soup and sandwich. I just need to invest in a good way to get the soup from here to there.

10. IntenseMagic

Ohhh yeah, I have done the veggies a few times and I really like them.
    I like some of the frozen entrees. I usually go for the ones without meat, and I think they discontinued my very favorite one - Healthy Choice Portabella Spinach Parmesan. I can't find it anywhere!

michelepixels likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

I like Spaghettios! But only with meatballs. Chefboyardee Mini Ravioli is good, too!

dotcomkari likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

We bought a 16 ounce Thermos King size with spoon thermos last year. Well, two - the smaller one for munchkin. One for Nick that he uses for hot food. Not just soup, but also things like mac and cheese. It works pretty good. If it's too hot, the lid sometimes suctions in, but Nick just ran cool water over the top and it popped open.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I often pack sandwiches (meat and cheese or pb or pbj).
    We also do homemade lunchables:
    Protein: lunch meat or jerky or sausages
    Cheese: All kinds - swiss, munster, cheddar, sharp cheddar, gouda, etc.
    Fruit: Apple, pineapple, strawberries, grapes,
    Extra: Dried fruit and nuts - Craisins or Raisins. ​
    When I'm on top of it, I make 4 at once. It's just as easy as one really.
    Munchkin doesn't have access to a microwave or anything, so everything has to be eaten at room temp or however cold the ice pack and lunchpail keep it!

Me? I add to the above with rice or noodles. Sometimes spicy chicken nuggets. French Toast. Mini pizzas (the frozen ones). Mac and cheese. Salad. Lunch is very low key here.

IntenseMagic and elseepe like this.
  14. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Of course they have to have the.meatballs.. or mini meatballs...

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I tend to eat a filling breakfast (usually eggs, hard boiled the day before or scrambled depending how much time I'll have in the morning) and be less hungry for lunch. So far I've been packing a Greek yogurt, a salad with some protein, and a fruit. When I get bored of that I'll probably go through a pasta and veggies phase, either hot or cold. Sometimes I do sandwiches, but I'm not a big bread person. My kids take more hot lunches than I do, and we also use the Thermos 16 oz containers for that. I pack soup, leftovers, pasta with meatballs, and chili in it for them. From what they've said their food isn't really hot at lunch, but it's warm enough that they're okay with it. If you have access to a microwave at school, that's probably better.

bestcee and IntenseMagic like this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

When I worked, I loved a couple of hard-boiled eggs - and some slices of cheddar cheese. Hard boiled eggs are so filling to me.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Well that’s what I have at home plus it’s the middle of winter here. Once I’m working I’ll either do salads or soup/savoury muffins, possibly leftovers at times or something similar providing I have access to a microwave

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

Soups, chilis, salads, sandwiches, any leftovers from dinner. That post above reminds me I need to make some hard boiled eggs! ;)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I only live less than 1/2 a mile from my work, so we always go home (my hubby works in the same place). If there are leftovers, that's what I eat. If not, I usually make a PB&J quickly so I have time to do other stuff around the house. Eating is such a time waster. :giggle

IntenseMagic likes this.
  20. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Definitely no help from me. I used to bring salads every day but now I'm just not feeling those.

I like small snacks because I too, get hungrier during work days at the office, versus work days at home or weekends.

I tend to do pretzels and those Sargento Balanced Breaks with fruits & nuts for breakfast snack. Protein shake for breakfast

And lunch is where I struggle.....ugh

IntenseMagic likes this.